Clubplanet Nightlife Community

My Privileged Review!

b-side

Originally posted by pod

He didn't do bad on Friday...he was on point and in a good space. I'd like to see any DJ follow Infusion though...it was tough, and he didn't follow through that night, every DJ has their bad nights...even "God" Tenaglia has terrible sets.

this is a good example of a biased opinion. :tongue:

Originally posted by marcodavalos

Lastly, good luck with Nocturnal. I only wish you and the owners the best. It will be very difficult to say the least, and will demand full concentration in finishing the venue in the first place. But with some luck it might just happen in the time frame you guys need for WMC line-ups to be attracted. Sorry for making it seem to you that I'm attacking you. Questioning is far and away from attacking. And OPM is and will always be the best.

And this is a good example of a politically correct response. :tongue:

Yeah I'm a bit biased...but my biases came about from dealing with some of the honestly best venues in the area...by any yardstick, Nerve and Space qualify on that point.

Privilege is a great venue, with some growing problems. All clubs have them at first....Space had issues with security, LP fixed it. Nerve had staff issues, DJ booking issues, and so on...Jon got on board, and started booking good DJs, and helping with the other issues..

I'd say Privilege's main issues right now are the constantly mentioned drink prices, and their long-term survival strategy. Things may come and go in cycles, but not always. I was at an event on Saturday night for the revitilization of downtown (Museum Park concept), and that whole idea is going to turn the county upside down. The old-schoolers who kickstarted the Beach, are going to do the same to Downtown. The beach will become fiercely competitive, with only the best clubs surviving, not only from the competitive atmosphere, but from the "threat" of Downtown clubs...frankly I'm very optimistic about Downtown, and neutral on the Beach...aside from a few holdouts, Washington Avenue is useless.

Originally posted by marcodavalos

Didn't realize you had edited your post as I was watching a fútbol game. Nope I am not personally attacking you Dades. I only see the change in your intentionality, and question it. This is just an example

Attacks were the ones that went back and forth between Saleen and you a few months back.

I disagree with the Fuel/Livingroom option. Being next to Space is a suicide to say the least. And with Crobar's name coming, and Nocturnal's money, and now apparently Pacha at where club Rio even worst.

They opened in the block were much of the initial club life in Art Deco South Beach started. Where tourists are a few blocks away from the ocean and their hotels. I believe in cycles. And the cycle for a renewed 600 block could just be there. They got the best of the venues on the block in their hands.

To the point of music. Aside from Space, Privilege is the only club built today for the sole reason of music. I give them my deepest respects for this. And if they keep to their roots I believe they can make it by bringing quality electronic music there.

Talking with a couple old school peeps of Sobe's nitelife, they were laughing when I told them of Saleen's comparison of the old Space as music ... Space 34 referred as Disneyland.

They came with their own conclusion, Shadow was about music ... Nocturnal might be a high end mall with foodcourt included.

Btw, I am not a promoter for Privilege. Not yet at least. And could mean little in my books when it comes to fair treatment of a purely musical driven club.

Lastly, good luck with Nocturnal. I only wish you and the owners the best. It will be very difficult to say the least, and will demand full concentration in finishing the venue in the first place. But with some luck it might just happen in the time frame you guys need for WMC line-ups to be attracted. Sorry for making it seem to you that I'm attacking you. Questioning is far and away from attacking. And OPM is and will always be the best.

Your points are well taken. You neglected, however to answer any of my questions. If, as you say, "Privilege is the only club built today for the sole reason of music", then why the attitude at the door or the high prices? The answer is that the club has to strike a balance between being a business and a place that's all about mucic. The answer is that they are not in it entirely for the music. They, like everyone else in the business, are trying to make some money. The answer is that no club can be completely about the music.....sad but true.

I too give them respect for what they are doing. I guess I just expected more from the place. I also happen to believe that the customer service issues should be as important as the music and was surprised by the level of service.

If you think that my comments were motivated by the idea of Privilege as competition for Nocturnal you are dead wrong. Nocturnal will be a totally different animal and is a while away. I'm sure that there will be folks who hate what we build and do but that's the way it goes. My comments stemmed from the fact that I went to the club and music aside, I didn't care for the place. You are lashing out at me and throwing around comparisons to malls and food courts without any understanding of what we're doing. I think if you really understood the whole project you would probably like it...why not wait to judge?

As I said before, I really hope that Privilege does well. It is good for our scene and could be an alternative to the everyday. Time will tell and this is all crap anyway.

My work here is done...:tongue:

Thanks for the lively debate guys. As I said before the clubber ultimately wins when we have quality venues to attend. Dade, thanks for coming on here and clearing thigs up a little. Constuctive criticism is always more helpful than harmful. That being said I hope we all do well this season and strive to bring our customers the best quality product that we can offer. We all know that this business can be as much about marketing as it is about music.

And Sal, please don't ever stop posting...your level of ignorance & arrogance is astounding to say the least... :laugh:

Seriously speaking, you are the perfect Devil's Advocate for this forum...keep up the good work !

:)

Originally posted by armand1210

My work here is done...:tongue:

Thanks for the lively debate guys. As I said before the clubber ultimately wins when we have quality venues to attend. Dade, thanks for coming on here and clearing thigs up a little. Constuctive criticism is always more helpful than harmful. That being said I hope we all do well this season and strive to bring our customers the best quality product that we can offer. We all know that this business can be as much about marketing as it is about music.

And Sal, please don't ever stop posting...your level of ignorance & arrogance is astounding to say the least... :laugh:

Seriously speaking, you are the perfect Devil's Advocate for this forum...keep up the good work !

:)

Armand, I am assuming that you have something to do with Privilege......

I hope you understand that I really wish nothing but the best for you and the venue. You're never going to please all of the people all of the time so don't sweat my comments or anyone elses for that matter. I'll check it out again this weekend.......