Clubplanet Nightlife Community

has anyone unlocked their cell phone?

Guest saleen351

Guest saleen351

i've been reading up on this, and it makes sense, on the net a company can do my nokia 8265 for 20 bucks.. It's a cingular phone, and I have cingular, but I want to go to metro pcs.. So this way I don't have to buy a new phone, or get suckered into a contract... i can take my phone to any system...

Has anyone done this? did it work right?

First thing you need to know is whether the two services both use similar technology. Cingular was using TDMA, and I believe are slowly phasing that out while expanding their more advanced GSM service. I believe, though I could be incorrect, that Metro uses CDMA. That would make the transition impossible. In any event, get recommendations on Metro PCS before you dive in. Specifically, ask people who use it in the areas you expect to use it. I heard great service in some areas, nonexistent service in others.

For GSM users, your provider will usually give you the unlock code if you are with them for a while. I always get my phones unlocked so I can use foreign SIM cards when I travel outside the US.

A friend of mine is in the biz and I asked him about this a while back.

I wanted to switch a Samsung from Sprint to Metro PCS. He told me I needed a hacker, and that it was illegal. This was almost a year ago. But it is possible.

You have the webpage? I would like him to see it. And would certainly send mine to be switched.

Originally posted by marcodavalos

A friend of mine is in the biz and I asked him about this a while back.

I wanted to switch a Samsung from Sprint to Metro PCS. He told me I needed a hacker, and that it was illegal. This was almost a year ago. But it is possible.

You have the webpage? I would like him to see it. And would certainly send mine to be switched.

I used to work with Sprint, and with Sprint phones, you need an MSL (Master Subsody Lock) number which ONLY Sprint has and will not give out to anyone. But with that code, you can get into the core features of the phone, and you can change out info, etc. And anyone who knows their shit with cell phones can do whatever they want with that phone once they got that number :)

Originally posted by saleen351

http://www.idenmod.com/universalcell/unlock.shtml

We can unlock all Sprint Phones $30.00

Call us with ESN and

we will give you the code!

The procedure for Unlocking your phone is:

Ship to our location. Attach Customer Data Sheet below.

24 hour turn-around in most cases

They must know someone within Sprint to give them the codes then :rolleyes::tongue:

Shit, I remember I used to get those codes by calling a 1-800 number......

If I only would remember, I can make a fortune!!!

Hell nah! That's some crazy ass shit if you get caught :blown:

Nice.

Still Saleen, I think you need to have an account with the new provider, which will force u to buy one of their phones.

But the lamest thing of Metro PCS are the phones they offer and for which they charge a lot more than they should. Which means you can use your old phone which most probably is a better phone.

The service at Metro has improved greatly. I have no problems with it. Very rarely do I drop a call in the past months. PAY BY THE MONTH NOY BY THE MINUTE. And now for an extra $5 a month you get nationwide unlimited long distance.

We saw an add from AT&T offering a flat fee plan (similar to Metro) in an ad on TV a few days back. Yesterday we called to find out the price, but their customer service had no idea of such a plan. :mad:

Guest brwneydtrouble

I had a motorola v66 that was connetced wth t-mobil, but I had just gotten AT&T, GSM service. I wanted to use both phones so I had the motorola unlocked at one of the little cell phone stores n downtown. The guy dd t for me for free, he hooked t up to a little switch box and it was all done. I just took the sim card out of my nokia whenever i wanted to go back and forth.

But none of that will work with Metro.

Depending on the manufacturer of the phone, the unlock code is generated using the serial number of the phone (IMEI or ESN). For example, the Nokia Series 40 phones, such as the 6610, can be unlocked using a code generator found on the web. Here are two of the best sites regarding cell phones:

http://www.howardforums.com

http://www.uniquephones.com/forums/

The latter one has good info on unlocking. Again, none of this matters if you're switching between incompatible carriers. You'll have to get a new phone.

Guest saleen351

lol marcos, i made the same mistake with att

it is their long distance is a flat fee, not their cell phones... i saw the same commerical and thought it was cell phones too...

i'm gonna call ghetto pcs and find out what the deal is, also since pcs doesn't have contracts and i'm not under one at cingular and i can keep my number, i can switch for nothing, keep my phone and shop till i find one i like, then sign a contract..

It's more than likely one of those quasi-legal things...

Basically, you can unlock your phone, enabling it to be ported to another service of the same protocol, but you still need to sign up to that service. What Saleen wants to do is perfectly legal, get his current Cingular phone to work on Metro POS, since he wants to drop his Cingular account and get a Metro account, without switching phones, since more than likely his phone probably is better than most of the tripe Metro doles out.

Back in the day, I got a phone off of Ebay for $50, a Nokia 6190...I was going to go to Voicestream (now T-Mobile), but didn't want to get one of their free crapola phones, or pay the inflated price for their good phones (at the time a 6190)...I got the phone, but it was locked to a provider in California (which ironically got swallowed up by T-Mobile...)...so I had to pay $40 to Voicestream to unlock it...in other words, unlocking a phone to use with another provider is legal, as long as you're obtaining a legit account with the other provider...

Metro sounds attractive in some cases, but I'm not going to forgo worldwide compatibility, and national roaming for a phone that only works without extra fees down here... :) Call 'em eurrrooo traaash, but the one thing they did right over there was standardize on GSM, and let the providers compete on value-added services...unlike over here, where the FCC made a dumb decision, and let each provider determine their own protocol, and offer pretty much the same damn thing no matter what the service...over here it's CDMA, GSM, TDMA, iDEN, and old AMPS...even with number portability, you'll more than likely need a new phone if you switch providers...over there, you can keep the same phone forever, or buy a new phone, swap the SIM, and you're in business without even calling up the cell company.

Quick rundown of "compatibility" over here.

CDMA:

Cingular

Metro

Sprint

Verizon

TDMA:

AT & T

GSM:

T-Mobile

AT & T (rolling out)

Cingular (rolling out)

iDEN:

Nextel

The reason why unlocking will not work between protocols is not only the provider issue, but a firmware/hardware issue...even though almost all of the above operate in the 1900 MHz spectrum, each protocol consists of a physcially different chipset..think of it as being different like an AMD processor and a G5 processor in your computer. Unless you're extremely handy with a soldering gun, ASIC design, and other such fun stuff, it ain't gonna work to go from Nextel to T-Mobile...

The FCC is gonna bollocks it up again though with 3G, they're letting the providers pretty much roll out their own 3G services, rather than directing them to stick to a standard and then adapt services to it...I think future phones are going to end up like current HDTV receivers...in order to have that "ATSC Approved" sticker, HDTVs have to support all 18 DTV methods of transmission and encoding (1080i, 720p, 480p, 720i, with the various compression and audio tracks...)...future phones to be universally usable will have to support god-knows how many transmission methods...

Originally posted by pod

It's more than likely one of those quasi-legal things...

Basically, you can unlock your phone, enabling it to be ported to another service of the same protocol, but you still need to sign up to that service. What Saleen wants to do is perfectly legal, get his current Cingular phone to work on Metro POS, since he wants to drop his Cingular account and get a Metro account, without switching phones, since more than likely his phone probably is better than most of the tripe Metro doles out.

Back in the day, I got a phone off of Ebay for $50, a Nokia 6190...I was going to go to Voicestream (now T-Mobile), but didn't want to get one of their free crapola phones, or pay the inflated price for their good phones (at the time a 6190)...I got the phone, but it was locked to a provider in California (which ironically got swallowed up by T-Mobile...)...so I had to pay $40 to Voicestream to unlock it...in other words, unlocking a phone to use with another provider is legal, as long as you're obtaining a legit account with the other provider...

Metro sounds attractive in some cases, but I'm not going to forgo worldwide compatibility, and national roaming for a phone that only works without extra fees down here... :) Call 'em eurrrooo traaash, but the one thing they did right over there was standardize on GSM, and let the providers compete on value-added services...unlike over here, where the FCC made a dumb decision, and let each provider determine their own protocol, and offer pretty much the same damn thing no matter what the service...over here it's CDMA, GSM, TDMA, iDEN, and old AMPS...even with number portability, you'll more than likely need a new phone if you switch providers...over there, you can keep the same phone forever, or buy a new phone, swap the SIM, and you're in business without even calling up the cell company.

Quick rundown of "compatibility" over here.

CDMA:

Cingular

Metro

Sprint

Verizon

TDMA:

AT & T

GSM:

T-Mobile

AT & T (rolling out)

Cingular (rolling out)

iDEN:

Nextel

The reason why unlocking will not work between protocols is not only the provider issue, but a firmware/hardware issue...even though almost all of the above operate in the 1900 MHz spectrum, each protocol consists of a physcially different chipset..think of it as being different like an AMD processor and a G5 processor in your computer. Unless you're extremely handy with a soldering gun, ASIC design, and other such fun stuff, it ain't gonna work to go from Nextel to T-Mobile...

The FCC is gonna bollocks it up again though with 3G, they're letting the providers pretty much roll out their own 3G services, rather than directing them to stick to a standard and then adapt services to it...I think future phones are going to end up like current HDTV receivers...in order to have that "ATSC Approved" sticker, HDTVs have to support all 18 DTV methods of transmission and encoding (1080i, 720p, 480p, 720i, with the various compression and audio tracks...)...future phones to be universally usable will have to support god-knows how many transmission methods...

damn POD im glad i know you pretty well and can go to you with all sort of tech questions. :eek: :eek:

I work for MetroPCS.

You can't do it even if the phone is unlocked. The main switch would reject the electronic serial number of the phone automatically. Metro only offers a select phones for their service. all ESN numbers are placed into the switch manager to prevent this type of issues to happen even if it was a compatible CDMA technology phone.

Guest brwneydtrouble
Originally posted by laliux

Fuck all the plans and unlocking codes. I still have the best phone and plan: Company Paid. :D

Bastard.

And yes, we are all GEEKS.

Guest saleen351
Originally posted by digital7

I work for MetroPCS.

You can't do it even if the phone is unlocked. The main switch would reject the electronic serial number of the phone automatically. Metro only offers a select phones for their service. all ESN numbers are placed into the switch manager to prevent this type of issues to happen even if it was a compatible CDMA technology phone.

then get me a saleen deal on a metro pcs phone and i'll sign up....

Guest saleen351

pod, my cousin from nj just called me, he said cingular is tdma, he sez only them and att use it, but now they are going to all gsm... So according to what digital7 posted and what my cousin said, it won't work, though i always have a back up plan..

To get the new gsm mintues for cinular, they force you into a contract, and i'm not currently under one, so i'm going to do a claim on phone, get a new gsm for 50 bucks, then I can get the minute rates with out signing up for a new contract....

I would love to switch to metro, but their phones suck... and i'm not paying 150 bucks for a phone...

Guest saleen351
Originally posted by digital7

hmmmm.. i think i might be able to do something for ya.. let me figure something out and i'll let ya know

10-4