Official STeve Lawler review

Bling

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by rcrespo

oh yeah .. Flash was immense .. camera's ready prepare to flash .. .. camera's ready prepare to flash .. .. camera's ready prepare to flash .. .. camera's ready prepare to flash .. .. camera's ready prepare to flash .. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

i think i "DIED" during this track!

Ramon,u keep bringing back the best parts of the set to my memory!

I also "DIED" during the "remember the beats" mix

i love those acoustic drums!

Originally posted by globalgirl

That was Mark Cohen, he travels with Steve Lawler opening for him.

by the way heather nice jacket.. last nite .. i guess the cold weather is fun at times . we can actualy wear stuff we never get to wear :D

First off, it was great meeting for the first time and seeing again Pod, Sobeton, Digital7, Bling, Rcrespo, acmatos, Biz, ecpolo521, i think Miriam, and there's a couple others I forgot.

I have to say overall I had a great time!! I came to hear some goodass house muzik, and that's what I got. Lawler's set in the main room had me dancing non-stop, and yes, especially for that "Flash" song.

But his patio set could have been better, imo. I was getting bored with it, not to mention very cold!!! A lil' too mello for what I wanted to hear...I needed something to get me pumped and warmed up out there. I was starting to fall asleep!

Back in the main room though, why the heck was Appreciate Me playing so many times?? It's as if it was clip after clip after clip stopping the music each time. WHY?? That was so damn annoying. Who was it that closed after Lawler anyways? I was too banged up to notice...

:hat:

Originally posted by philippio

It's so easy to tell that you're so infected with Bignamedjitis!!! Why can't you go out and enjoy a real local dj?

You referred to one of Miami's really good house dj's as "some bald guy" yet Cue spins all over town (Blue Wednesdays , Tantra saturday, Space afterhours, Nerve sunday night, etc). It's ok that you didn't like what he played.

By the way... that wasn't a review. You just thanked a bunch of CP people who were there and said that Lawler kicked ass and Markus Schultz rocked as always. Why??? Highlights? Anything stand out???

The bald guy who was playing before lawler was not Cue. Never seen him before. Roland told me his name but i forgot.

Well, let me start by saying that I didn't even think I was going to make it to Miami this weekend. With all this snow in NYC, my flight was cancelled on Friday and it didn't look good either that I would fly out Saturday. Luckily, I was able to get on a early flight Sat, which was one of few that flew out from NYC. I was so relieved to make it out and know that I would at least get the chance to spend a night @ Space.

First off, it was nice meeting lulamishka and seeing beatfriek, sobeton and mursa. Thanx Biz, for always hookin' me up with the list...sorry I didn't get a chance to see you. Plus it was great hangin' wit my partner in crime again, acmatos, after a five month hiatus. I didn't have a chance to walk around much to see some other people due to all the damn traffic, plus I was f$#ked up! :drunk::roll:

Off to my review....Markus Shultz, which is a Dj I've seen once or twice, due to him becoming a resident towards the end of my tenure @ Space. He played a good opening set, banged it out but not too hard...crowd was definitely feeling him. For the mystery dj after, he was alright, played some decent tracks but was kind of choppy on his track selection. ....And then, the motherfukin' man, Steve Lawler came on and destroyed the place. I said god dammmn he was nasty. For the two years I've been going to Space, in my opinion, this was the best set by far I've heard. Track after track, he just continued to play dark, tribal, acidy, sexy house. My cup of tea if you would call it. SL brought his "A" game and he had me dancin' till my legs were rubber. As the trance heads say, "I died". And as rccrespo mentioned, "cameras ready, prepare to flash", just put the iceing on the cake.

And for the man I've been waiting to see for a long time and the man who put me on to house, Oscar G. just f*$kin blew my mind with the hardest tech-house set. I actually thought my head was goin' to explode with those hard ass base lines. OG is the man...nuff said. My favorite track of the night, which he usually throws down late night is the "Nobody Listens to Techno" remix. The nastiest base line. If anyone can id the remix...lemme know. I just can't wait till he comes up to NYC.

In the end, it was a great night @ Space. After moving back home five months ago, it was great hangin wit my old crew, seeing some familiar faces, and being back @ my second home. Even though my trip was shortend to a mere 27 hours, it was well worth it. I'll be back again for the party of the year, the WMC. Until then, take care everyone and enjoy life to the fullest. :D

P.S. "We need Space. Space is an essential part of our lives. Space is the dynamic through which we change, grow and develop. We need Space. "

Lawler was great inside.. played a bit more mellow outside but still pretty good although it was a different kind of set.. Roland rocked it like usual both pre-and-post Lawler. i hadnt heard him in awhile and he never disappoints. Oscar was doin the duties after Lawler inside.. kept the crowd lively and pumping.. good hanging out with everyone from the CP mob... I had a great time..Space always treats me like family.

and kool meeting Muirza! .. still havent met the mysterious and elusive Bling.

All in All it was most definetly a good nights out ...... SL put down some really good tracks but I thought that his set didn't "flow" correctly as songs just seemed to go from one song to another (didn't notice mixing) , in general he was Good , but I've seen better from him .

OG then came on and simply BROUGHT IT ON with some TECH-house (TECH = capital letters !) , awesome .

In the patio I didn't notice SL set too much , he probably played 2 hrs max and i wasn't feeling his set too much , but Roland came on and did a very good job (both before SL came on and after SL ) .

It was a pleasure to hang with ma boy Sobeton , Steffy , Dekan , Grooveeric , Rcrespo , Digital7 , Roger , Acmatos and Ecpolo and all the others that I can't remember right now ( hangover ! ) ,....good times when your around good people :D .

till next adventure .

Guest brwneydtrouble

I had a great time as well, I didn't want to leave! Totally worth the $20 to get in - yes people, I paid to get into space. Thats how much I love Lawler. I didn't get the chance to hear him in the patio though. :( Well, there will always be next time!

Great night overall as expected. Everyone has already hit on several good parts of the night. We arrived early enough to catch Markus starting up in the main room. He banged it out pretty well, peaking it with a nice lighting display in the booth and blow of the horn. Had all the tranceheads going off. Great set from Markus.

Then Mark Cohen stepped up, opening with the Chus & Ceballos remix of Luzon - The Baguio Track. What a great opening track!!! Those vocals are timeless. One of my fav pieces of wax. He then churned out some real techy stuff and mellowed it down a bit before welcoming Lawler to the decks. Lawler did what he does best, dark, dirty, tribal HOUSE at its finest, peaking it out about an hour and a half into his set with some crazy, trippy, acid for the mind. Lawler IS the man. The main room was were it was at!

Off to the patio, Lawler stepped up around 7:30, after some nice selections from Roland and churned out a much more mellow set. We were getting too cold to stick around much longer, and dancing wasn't helping warm up. A stop back in the main room, Oscar had the crowd going off inside around 8:30 or so when we called it a night.

Nice seeing CP crew in da house...mp3some, Bling, Lilliz77, houze-kitty, macfunk, avila, trouble, aj, ramon...nice meeting some of you. Until next time...peace.

Answer to your question:

Considering almost every club in Miami plays progressive house, it's getting really lame and boring. It goes back to what Saleen was saying about playing music that's fun. Fun to listen to and fun to dance to. Prog is neither of those. It's too serious... too dark... too gloomy, too dry, too stale. Yet not quite evil and definitely not funky!!! I still listen to some tech-house but not too much.

Like the song says..."Progressive ain't progress and progressive ain't house."

Originally posted by brwneydtrouble

I had a great time as well, I didn't want to leave! Totally worth the $20 to get in - yes people, I paid to get into space. Thats how much I love Lawler. I didn't get the chance to hear him in the patio though. :( Well, there will always be next time!

You missed nothing on the patio . . . stayed for about an hour and left. Place was dead - musically and people wise . . .

Originally posted by philippio

Considering almost every club in Miami plays progressive house, it's getting really lame and boring. It goes back to what Saleen was saying about playing music that's fun. Fun to listen to and fun to dance to. Prog is neither of those. It's too serious... too dark... too gloomy, too dry, too stale. Yet not quite evil and definitely not funky!!! I still listen to some tech-house but not too much.

but it is STILL house...u feel about Prog. the same way i feel about deep house...give me a pillow and i am in heaven...

Originally posted by CrzyC

Sounds like OG banged it out like he did Friday night...sorry I missed this!!!! So...was Cue on at all? I thought he was supposed to close out Lawler inside?

No way, C!

OG closed the main room for Lawler---and he did it in such a way that i didnt even want to go up to the patio...this was me @ 7am in the mainroom-- :hoparound:

Originally posted by houze-kitty

No way, C!

OG closed the main room for Lawler---and he did it in such a way that i didnt even want to go up to the patio...this was me @ 7am in the mainroom-- :hoparound:

NICE!!! Glad youguys had a great time!!!:D