Clubplanet Nightlife Community

DJS Unite!!!

This goes to real DJs. CDDJs, MP3DJs, and PCDJs and promoter DJs Stand the fak down!!!

Now to all the real DJs next time a promoter says "Can you bring people?" Tell him to fak off!!!

NY is dying. The promoters are killing it. Promoters: Hire DJs to DJ, and Promoters to promote. Let the person do 1 job and perfect that 1 job.

I am a DJ, not a promoter. My job is to bring the music, and bring peple back for the second week. If you want a party to last more than 6 weeks, follow my advice. Promoter DJs arent really DJs at all, and there friends realize how much their friends suck as DJs. Thats y you have these fireball parties that blow up into a cloud of smoke within 6 weeks.

You (The promoter), its your job to "BRING PEOPLE"

Im a disgruntled DJ too! But myself and a group of other disgruntled DJ's and night club pros, got together to throw our own party! So far its been pretty hot!

If you don't embrace new DJ technology your just gonna become a fossil. CD's and MP3's are great! I still love spinning records but by using this new equipment makes things more fun, there are a thousand things you can do now that you couldn't do 2 or 3 years ago.

The Market (NY) Is saturated with DJs. I rather go back 3 years ago when it was all vinyl. Granted I am spending 50% less up front now, but I am getting 10% of the gigs I once got because now everyone is a DJ. And these kids dont know the first thing about beats or measures. I dont even go out anymore. Its not fun. The Music is whack, the DJs are whack, and the promoters are whack (well, most anyways, not all) All I have to say is NY Night Life RIP, Im outta here.

Originally posted by ianjohn

I have nothing to loose. I've already gone as far as I can here.

you've gone too far already.

Give up already - every week I see you post another thread on the same subject.

Gee...you complain so much no wonder you can't get no gigs.

The Market (NY) Is saturated with DJs. I rather go back 3 years ago when it was all vinyl. Granted I am spending 50% less up front now, but I am getting 10% of the gigs I once got because now everyone is a DJ. And these kids dont know the first thing about beats or measures. I dont even go out anymore. Its not fun. The Music is whack, the DJs are whack, and the promoters are whack (well, most anyways, not all) All I have to say is NY Night Life RIP, Im outta here.

maybe if you let the music dictate where you go out and persue gigs, rather than going out to wherever it is you go, and getting pissed off cus its not like ibizia, you wouldnt have this problem.

Theres plenty of great places to go with great djs, get over it.

Originally posted by rocksteadyct

maybe if you let the music dictate where you go out and persue gigs, rather than going out to wherever it is you go, and getting pissed off cus its not like ibizia, you wouldnt have this problem.

Theres plenty of great places to go with great djs, get over it.

you must be mildly retarded because you totally have no clue what IanJohn is writing about.

Read it again...

I "invite" any "DJ" to come to my studio and make a mix. Ill take care off all the production work for them. Here's the basics:

Technics SL1210MKII turntable (2)

RANE MP24Z Mixer

Bring needles, headphones and 12"

I posted a new mix

http://bbs.clubplanet.com/music/showphoto.php?photo=101&password=&sort=1&cat=503&page=1

I will even upload it on the site if you want. I have broadband.

Originally posted by djqwest

you must be mildly retarded because you totally have no clue what IanJohn is writing about.

Read it again...

I dont even go out anymore. Its not fun. The Music is whack, the DJs are whack, and the promoters are whack (well, most anyways, not all) All I have to say is NY Night Life RIP

He's mad cus the places he goes suck.

Find new places, because your current expectations will never be met.

not that hard is it?

You arent tiesto, so do a little work to get your "party" going

If you have to promote to play, do it, or find somewhere else to play, and quit bitching.

Ever heard of a DJ/promoter? yeah theres a million of them, and they seem to be doing a lot better than you. You didnt earn anything by mixeing a few records, pay your dues.

djqwest You know what I am talking about. Once apon a time, it didnt matter if I brough 1 person, 10 people, or 100 people.

How to get a job DJing then:

Give demo to person who does booking.

If the music you picked was good.

You programmed the music good.

You were on beat

Your sound was good

You got a job

And when you got a job DJing you got a guest list, and all your friends got in FREE.

Today:

Bring people. Promters dont even care about your demo anymore, not necessary. Just bring people. Today, you will get a guest list, and your friends will get in for a "REDUCED" admission

djqwest You know what I am talking about. Once apon a time, it didnt matter if I brough 1 person, 10 people, or 100 people.

How to get a job DJing then:

Give demo to person who does booking.

If the music you picked was good.

You programmed the music good.

You were on beat

Your sound was good

You got a job

And when you got a job DJing you got a guest list, and all your friends got in FREE.

Today:

Bring people. Promters dont even care about your demo anymore, not necessary. Just bring people. Today, you will get a guest list, and your friends will get in for a "REDUCED" admission

I know first hand as promoters have contacted me with respect to the djs on mmradio. First thing they would say...

"Can that dj draw"?

"Can he bring heads"?

"How many people can this dj bring"?

"Does hes have a mailing list"?

classic fuckin bullshit...

HE HE HE...

Now you all know why I dont go out anymore. The last time I went out, it was so bad... I wantedto cry. But dont worry. The DJ wasnt just a DJ. He was a promoter, and he was also throwing the party, and doing a milolion and 1 things as well as DJing. (you know, he was the head of security, working the door, checking the guest list, being the sound tech, working the lights, bartending, shot guying, and barbacking...all at the same time. Welcome to the new DJ for 2003) Shit, When I DJ, the only time I leave the both is to go to the bar, and use the bathroom.

I know first hand as promoters have contacted me with respect to the djs on mmradio. First thing they would say...

"Can that dj draw"?

"Can he bring heads"?

"Can that dj draw"?

"Can he bring heads"?

Qwest - I have just one comment here - "WORD BROTHER, WORD"

true.. promoters who only care if you 'bring people' are not handling their own biz the right way... but in a city where there's already 1000 djs spinning whatever dj joe schmo is spinning.. alot of promoters need a reason beyond the fact that you are a dj to get a gig. its a chicken vs egg complex... do they book a great dj that no one's ever heard of and hope people show up? or book someone THEY'VE never heard of, but who will undeniably draw a large crowd? hmm.. as a promoter, what would you pick?

take yourself out of the dj's shoes for a minute, and put them in the promoter's. its not as black and white as you make it sound.

btw, i'm obviously playing devil's advocate here..since I am part of a crew that doesn't give a shit how many people you can bring in order to get booked.

Which would you rather have.

1. Promoter DJ:

Brings 100 people the first week and the club is packed out beyond control for the first week but by week 6 the party is dead because the DJs friends realize that he sucks as a DJ and everyone else does do.

2. Talented DJ

Club is OK the first week, builds up a crowd and people come back the following weeks and bring friends.

Scanerio:

I was going to a club, I wont mention the venue, but my buddy, Carlo Caruso, was the DJ. I would come back and bring a friend or two. Then 1 week, they had this new DJ. Let me tell you, I am a househead, but it was the first week I ever left the club when house music started. The new DJ was trying to play an acapella at 127 with a trance dub at 140, and left both songs at neutral. Obviously he didnt know what the fuck he was doing. But I gotta say 1 thing, the place was packed with this DJs friends. The avga ge probolly dropped from 20 - 16. (hmmm...wonder how the bar handeled that night?)

I asked my friend that was throwing the party, what happened to Carlo. He responded "Sorry Ian, It's not about talent anymore, its about bringing people."

Needless to say, I have never gone back to that venue, and I dont even think that party exists anymore.

Heres what I will do for you: I will bring good music, my talent and skill, and keep people comming back. YOU (the promoter) Bring the people initially. O, and the people I do bring. They get in FREE, NOT REDUCED, and they dont wait on line.

Shit, even at Tunnel, all my friends got in free, and they didnt wait on line either.

couldnt agree with this thread more, it seems like now any one can get a venue to throw a party so when this "promoter" does first thing he thinks about is what dj can pull..........most promoters i worked for couldnt even tell me one new track that came out that month.....i used to b getting double booked at the same nights and now, shit is so weak im lucky if im getting one spot a week and if i do the party usually lasts about 3 weeks because promoters wanna put there responsiblity on the dj's and other various ppl.............jus becuase you put your name on a flyer does not make u a promoter!!!!!

This goes to real DJs. CDDJs, MP3DJs, and PCDJs and promoter DJs Stand the fak down!!!

Now to all the real DJs next time a promoter says "Can you bring people?" Tell him to fak off!!!

NY is dying. The promoters are killing it. Promoters: Hire DJs to DJ, and Promoters to promote. Let the person do 1 job and perfect that 1 job.

I am a DJ, not a promoter. My job is to bring the music, and bring peple back for the second week. If you want a party to last more than 6 weeks, follow my advice. Promoter DJs arent really DJs at all, and there friends realize how much their friends suck as DJs. Thats y you have these fireball parties that blow up into a cloud of smoke within 6 weeks.

You (The promoter), its your job to "BRING PEOPLE"

Tell me about it. This has been the destruction of our scene. I definitley feel you on this one. :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

I feel the pain and the hurt on this one...

Ian..I feel your pain..my heart aches..

My story..

I was involved in the West Coast scene for about 4 years prior to my coming to NY.Had I known then,what I know now,I would've stayed my ass in LA.

There is a scene out there,there is a "vibe"when you go out.This is something that only a true clubber can feel and know.There is a DIVERSITY of music,there is trance,house,electronic,hip-hop,,but..there is everything!

I really believed in my heart that NY was going to be "better"and more diversified musically, I mean, it is the "Capital of the world" right?? Or, So I thought!

Come to my knowledge and shock..boy..was I wrong..

Horrendously wrong...

To put is simply and truthfully...too many people in this city are afraid to speak out and do something about it..

Or,the other case being,too many people talk shit and have no ACTION to back it up!

Quit your bitching and DO something about it...

I have NO respect for anyone who can sit around and talk garbage about the NYC scene needing help and not doing a goddamn thing about it..

I have much Respect for people going out there and fighting the dragons and taking a chance..to improve this hurt scene..if there was such a thing here.

True,I am extremely appalled at the lack of trance and electronica here..and I have shouted it loud many times..

I respect Ian for the fact that he shouts!

I will continue to shout and fight,because,even though Ian is gone,I feel that there is hope left..

and HOPE is a good thing,perhaps the best of things..

I am continuing my quest to ensure the uprise of trance and electronica here..and for all the bullets that come flying at me..well..I have a very high guarded sheet of armor..and I wear it proud!

Ian,through my experience,and I am sure through yours,you know that when you are making a name for yourself..you have to be promoter/DJ/manager all in one..until..you have some worth under your belt..

Problem solved...make your own party,be your own boss..and hire promoters for you...

any other way...you will always be at the whims of someone else..

Who ever said anything in life that was worthwhile was going to be easy anyways?

Great power=Great responsibility..

I learned..I am tired of running to promoters..kissing ass to play at their parties..I haven't seen any "credible'results..and time is ticking..

Stand on your own Ian..Take a stand and follow through with Action!

If you believe in yourself..and you know that you are good..you will always remain in control!!

It's too bad what has happened in this scene..it is true,,it is all about money and that's that.But,there are the "few" that are left that are willing to bypass that...and anyone knows that when you chase money..it runs from you...

I have only just begun...my "REIGN" has started...

I run out into this city with one word in my mind....HOPE...