Clubplanet Nightlife Community

off topic: job advice

adrenalinerush

ok, I work for an insurance company and it's my first real job as the "trainee". What I do is Auto, general liability claims for fortune 500 companies, I did workers comp for about 6 months till they had staffing issues and moved me over to do auto and etc.

Here's the thing I have been going around the company talking to the VP's about their departments after my old supervisor suggested it. I really what to get into underwriting. I talked the 2 VP's in underwriting and during which I mentioned that I was interested in underwriting and they give path advice (CPCU, taken an underwriting postion, degree in insurance) and during the course of our discussion they both mentioned that there was a underwriting asst position opening at beginning of the year. Was that a hint? I should express interest?

I do not want to step on anyones toes. One of them ask if claims was aware of interest in underwriting? Workers' comp is but I do not know about auto since no asked. but the fact is that claims is a dead end job and a waste of a finance degree.

Originally posted by adrenalinerush

ok, I work for an insurance company and it's my first real job as the "trainee". What I do is Auto, general liability claims for fortune 500 companies, I did workers comp for about 6 months till they had staffing issues and moved me over to do auto and etc.

Here's the thing I have been going around the company talking to the VP's about their departments after my old supervisor suggested it. I really what to get into underwriting. I talked the 2 VP's in underwriting and during which I mentioned that I was interested in underwriting and they give path advice (CPCU, taken an underwriting postion, degree in insurance) and during the course of our discussion they both mentioned that there was a underwriting asst position opening at beginning of the year. Was that a hint? I should express interest?

I do not want to step on anyones toes. One of them ask if claims was aware of interest in underwriting? Workers' comp is but I do not know about auto since no asked. but the fact is that claims is a dead end job and a waste of a finance degree.

underwriting in general at an insurance company is never really exciting.....try to do insurance consulting for like Hewett,Mercer,E&Y,Towers Perrin...its much more exciting...and if you do healthcare consulting...they use underwriters all the time to check rates,etc..

Originally posted by pattbateman

ok retard first you haeva finance degree right. you should of not partied so hard and got a inturnship in college (during summer)then you have your foot in door at a good place. the school would of found you one they found me one. now your fucked at a dead end shit job.

that sucks

internships and getting good grades have little if any impact on getting a good job or what you would consider a good job.....its all about connections

most people's idea of a good job is a safe, good starting salary, non promoting, go nowhere, think you're getting somewhere because you get promotions that get you $5k more a year, non-inspiring jobs with 'good benefits'......

schools find you "good" jobs? schools find jobs for monkeys looking to be recycled drones for the rest of their lives.......

the secret is start small or give corporate america 2 years max....something much more opportune will slap you in the face and the question is whether or not you have the balls to pursue it

ok retard first you haeva finance degree right. you should of not partied so hard and got a inturnship in college (during summer)then you have your foot in door at a good place. the school would of found you one they found me one. now your fucked at a dead end shit job.

that sucks

fuckin douche bag

shut your trap ya fuckin ass clown

Originally posted by djjonstephen

internships and getting good grades have little if any impact on getting a good job or what you would consider a good job.....its all about connections

most people's idea of a good job is a safe, good starting salary, non promoting, go nowhere, think you're getting somewhere because you get promotions that get you $5k more a year, non-inspiring jobs with 'good benefits'......

schools find you "good" jobs? schools find jobs for monkeys looking to be recycled drones for the rest of their lives.......

the secret is start small or give corporate america 2 years max....something much more opportune will slap you in the face and the question is whether or not you have the balls to pursue it

The key to making it big is having balls (not literal balls, of course).

Originally posted by djjonstephen

Internships/entry level are where you make connections to get the great jobs. You can't knock them entirely. If used correctly, they can be your foot in the door. It's not the route for everyone but it does work. If you settle for "good enough", you will get stuck in a cubbie for 25 years with no one to blame but yourself. It's not the job, it's what you do with opportunities once you get it. good luck...

Originally posted by solbeam

Internships/entry level are where you make connections to get the great jobs. You can't knock them entirely. If used correctly, they can be your foot in the door. It's not the route for everyone but it does work. If you settle for "good enough", you will get stuck in a cubbie for 25 years with no one to blame but yourself. It's not the job, it's what you do with opportunities once you get it. good luck...

exactly what I just said......minus the internships part, they do next to nothing for you except add space to your resume

entry level jobs are just that......entry level jobs. Too many people come out of school with the notion that the job they landed at Chase Manhattan is "a golden opportunity and a great job".......truth is they will just be slaves to corporate america and work for someone else in a go nowhere environment for the rest of their lives if they dont realize that job is to be used and abused and dumped as soon as possible.

Ok, retard. First, learn how to spell have and internship. Second, I did do an internship with Smith Barney. However, I did it in 2001 when I got my degree and they had a hiring freeze (gee I wonder why) and half my office got laid off. 3rd, I need the health insurance so I took the offer.

that sucks

that sucks

You're calling HIM a retard and criticizing him for not studying hard enough, etc.?

Why don't you learn to spell before you go off criticizing other people's education/career choices?