Clubplanet Nightlife Community

dsl provider

yes...speakeasy.net

but since verizon (formerly bell atlantic) owns all the lines, it might take longer than expected to get you hooked up with any other provider, other than verizon

also, speakeasy gives you static IP

verizon gives you dynamic

if your planning on doing shit, like setting up a web server, ftp server, etc., etc., it'll be easier with static ip

but if your just gonna cruise the web and shit, i would just go with verizon, coz youll get your dsl hookup way faster.

Originally posted by Pershoot:

yes...speakeasy.net

but since verizon (formerly bell atlantic) owns all the lines, it might take longer than expected to get you hooked up with any other provider, other than verizon

That's so true. You be lucky if you get connected in a month. Actually, you'll be real lucky. Expect to wait 2+ months. Verizon never come to drop the line. They take their sweet-ass time.

------------------

I'm gonna go hit the pipe now...

I just signed up for DSL with Verizon today actually. My service will beconnected on 11/1/00. Its only $39.95 a month with the year contract.Im getting with it a Westel DMT ADSL External Modem, microfilters and cables, and the PCI Ethernet Card

------------------

CAT.gif

"Together we witness one of the most delightful in our time......so umm, LET THE BASS GO!!!"

whatever you do stay away from verizon, the worst service, i signed up at the end of may, by the end of june i recieved all the parts, but then had to wait another month for them to activate my account. Ok now honestly it does not work 90% of the time, no kidding here, I think it might be just my building or something. Tech support just totally blows as always and there is nothing they do but tell you "they are working on it and to just wait" I think they know me there by hard now cause i call up every day asking why the fuck isnt it working. I am switching to earthlink, they have a great deal now where you get free parts, modem and installation for free but you must use them for 6 months, in any case it has to be better than this verizon crap.

------------------

weed.gif

For the best information on DSL

http://www.dslreports.com

----Long Post-----

There's threads upon threads of reviews from customers, and on the hom page they have listings of which are considered the best right now....Verizon is always on the bottom(like when it was Bell Atlantic)

Unfortunately whomever you decide on has to go through Verizons lines.

IE

For my company I use Concentric, My carrier is North Point(we had choices of using Covad or Northpoint) and it is routed through Verizon's lines.

So most of these companies are actually middlemen, and when you encounter a problem I call Concentric, then they call North Point, then NP says it's Verizons problem and then have to contact them, then Verizon says it's not our problem....etc, you get a lot of finger pointing.

My service was set up I think in 3-5 weeks, with the first month being rather rockey Bell(at the time) had to come 2 or 3 times to my building.

But since then...not too bad of service, I few hiccups every now and then but rather reliable.

I would recommend going with Concentric, but just be wary of all the contracts, they all lure you in with a free router or discount, but you have to sign a 1 or 2 year contract, which if you break, even if the service sucks, you then have to buy the router.

Check that web site, it has TONS of helpful information and read the reviews.

Verizon/Bell has always had the most and the worst compalints. Concentric even has people from their company monitoring the board to help people out...Concenteric was always getting rave reviews, and there was one complaint from a guy about not getting his service in time, and boom they read his thread and got right to it. Thats good service.

Overall compare quality/speed/and pricing...also if it's for home, look into Cable, right now it's still pretty fast and cheaper, but once ebveryone uses it it'll slow down.

- Peter

cool.gif

------------------

------------------------

flash.gif

cwm36.gif DSL is our competitor..I work for a cable company that offers high speed internet access through your cable line...what sux about dsl is you have to sign up for a year, they give you a mini router(which sucks), and make you install it yourself...for $40 a month? Too bad you don't live my way..I could of hooked you up!! PEACE!

Archived