Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Attention Spacious...

philippio

First off, this post is not intended to instigate a fight on this board or anywhere else. Someone (I think Biz) had posted that my hate for Space is not merely fueled by the fact that it's impossible to convince 2 dear friends to come to Miami. In part, he was right. It was definitely what triggered a cataclysmic effect which culminated in the post before your eyes.

I acknowledge that, being a businessman, you always approach a strategic decision about Space or any other venue you may own or have owned in the past, with the intent of earning money. But your clubs exist in a free enterprise. This means that there will be competition and because of the availability of alternate entertainment outlets, for every one who likes your club, there will be someone who hates it. I mean, didn't you see it coming after the Space closing parties? Did you think that everyone was just gonna let it fly and pretend that nothing happened? That would have been unrealistic, and having recently had a very educational discussion with your best resident dj/producer (IMO), CUE, I have realized that you are much smarter than that. But what you really should have realized is that some people demand more from nightlife and they are not going to sit back and allow you or any other club owner to rip us a new asshole with your marketing schemes or scams or whatever went down when Danny played the closing party. I have some respect for club owners but it's just a floating plankton in the Pacific when compared to the respect I have for DT. So instead of bitching and moaning about media pressure on your club due to the drug situation (which understandably, is almost entirely out of your control), why couldn't you have come on CP and said:

"I'm sorry for the inconvenience, but Space 34 will close temporarily until we deal with some legal matters and then we'll be right back (possibly with a different name)." Why is it so hard to tell the truth? I honestly don't know. And so I'm asking you. Did you think people weren't going to buy it? I for one, would have commended you on it.

This post is not an attack on the type of music or the residents at Space. I realize that you need to bring big dj's to fill such a huge floor. I also appreciate that you're one of a rare few club owners who regularly read posts on this board and participate in music discussions and respond to people's questions or concerns. That is the reason whyt I posted this. I also appreciate the fact that you comp any CP reader who is interested in going to one of the events at Space. Since I don't know you personally, and you don't know me personally, any insults that flew between us are obviously just a result of a flared up temper (at least on my end). I don't dj for a living. I never will. But I have been clubbing long enough to have a pretty good idea of my likes and dislikes. For example, for the regular clubber who goes to Space and pays the $30 or whatever, a $10 drink in a plastic Dixie cup is an insult. Don't worry, Nerve does it too as well as others. Put yourself in this clubber's position... If you had no hook-ups and paid the full cover, say $30, and then you went in and had to pay $10 for every drink in a plastic cup, how would you feel??? The other huge complaint that I would like to talk to you about is the number of people that have walked up to me in the past on many occasions to ask if I want to buy drugs or sell them drugs. Granted some of those are under-cover cops (something you understandably have limited control over). This is another problem that plagues clubs all over the world. It's an unfortunate one but the media thrives on going public with evbery rumor. I know I'm not the only one that this happens to. It just doesn't create a pleasant experience. I'm not saying you need to turn Space into a totalitarian government. Is it too much to ask for that when I go out to dance, I won't be harrassed by drug peddlers or under-cover DEA agents? I know most people would object to searches at the door. I can see why. But look at how many years Vinyl has had that policy. The truth, as much as it hurts, is that drugs will always enter any club. What happened at Vinyl was that people actually tried to take them before they walked in. So in a way, you didn't have people bugging you as much because they knew that it would be quite hard to bring them in. I'm not saying that I would support or criticize such a screening policy at Space (if someone wants to take drugs or sell them it's their business; but please engage in such behavior in a discretre fashion). It's just an idea that I'm sure you have had many times over. Regarding your resident dj's. None play the music that I like to listen and dance to but all my bashing is not an attack on their character or personality because I don't personally know any of them (except Cue). So I hope this long post clears up any misunderstandings. The fact that I don't go to Space anymore and will never ever ever be going there still remains. That is not to say that I won't pop in to catch Oscar G. doing one of his praised sets at MIA or continue supporting Cue at Blue or Tantra.

Originally posted by philippio

First off, this post is not intended to instigate a fight on this board or anywhere else. Someone (I think Biz) had posted that my hate for Space is not merely fueled by the fact that it's impossible to convince 2 dear friends to come to Miami. In part, he was right. It was definitely what triggered a cataclysmic effect which culminated in the post before your eyes.

I acknowledge that, being a businessman, you always approach a strategic decision about Space or any other venue you may own or have owned in the past, with the intent of earning money. But your clubs exist in a free enterprise. This means that there will be competition and because of the availability of alternate entertainment outlets, for every one who likes your club, there will be someone who hates it. I mean, didn't you see it coming after the Space closing parties? Did you think that everyone was just gonna let it fly and pretend that nothing happened? That would have been unrealistic, and having recently had a very educational discussion with your best resident dj/producer (IMO), CUE, I have realized that you are much smarter than that. But what you really should have realized is that some people demand more from nightlife and they are not going to sit back and allow you or any other club owner to rip us a new asshole with your marketing schemes or scams or whatever went down when Danny played the closing party. I have some respect for club owners but it's just a floating plankton in the Pacific when compared to the respect I have for DT. So instead of bitching and moaning about media pressure on your club due to the drug situation (which understandably, is almost entirely out of your control), why couldn't you have come on CP and said:

"I'm sorry for the inconvenience, but Space 34 will close temporarily until we deal with some legal matters and then we'll be right back (possibly with a different name)." Why is it so hard to tell the truth? I honestly don't know. And so I'm asking you. Did you think people weren't going to buy it? I for one, would have commended you on it.

This post is not an attack on the type of music or the residents at Space. I realize that you need to bring big dj's to fill such a huge floor. I also appreciate that you're one of a rare few club owners who regularly read posts on this board and participate in music discussions and respond to people's questions or concerns. That is the reason whyt I posted this. I also appreciate the fact that you comp any CP reader who is interested in going to one of the events at Space. Since I don't know you personally, and you don't know me personally, any insults that flew between us are obviously just a result of a flared up temper (at least on my end). I don't dj for a living. I never will. But I have been clubbing long enough to have a pretty good idea of my likes and dislikes. For example, for the regular clubber who goes to Space and pays the $30 or whatever, a $10 drink in a plastic Dixie cup is an insult. Don't worry, Nerve does it too as well as others. Put yourself in this clubber's position... If you had no hook-ups and paid the full cover, say $30, and then you went in and had to pay $10 for every drink in a plastic cup, how would you feel??? The other huge complaint that I would like to talk to you about is the number of people that have walked up to me in the past on many occasions to ask if I want to buy drugs or sell them drugs. Granted some of those are under-cover cops (something you understandably have limited control over). This is another problem that plagues clubs all over the world. It's an unfortunate one but the media thrives on going public with evbery rumor. I know I'm not the only one that this happens to. It just doesn't create a pleasant experience. I'm not saying you need to turn Space into a totalitarian government. Is it too much to ask for that when I go out to dance, I won't be harrassed by drug peddlers or under-cover DEA agents? I know most people would object to searches at the door. I can see why. But look at how many years Vinyl has had that policy. The truth, as much as it hurts, is that drugs will always enter any club. What happened at Vinyl was that people actually tried to take them before they walked in. So in a way, you didn't have people bugging you as much because they knew that it would be quite hard to bring them in. I'm not saying that I would support or criticize such a screening policy at Space (if someone wants to take drugs or sell them it's their business; but please engage in such behavior in a discretre fashion). It's just an idea that I'm sure you have had many times over. Regarding your resident dj's. None play the music that I like to listen and dance to but all my bashing is not an attack on their character or personality because I don't personally know any of them (except Cue). So I hope this long post clears up any misunderstandings. The fact that I don't go to Space anymore and will never ever ever be going there still remains. That is not to say that I won't pop in to catch Oscar G. doing one of his praised sets at MIA or continue supporting Cue at Blue or Tantra.

Yo ! Enough with this bullshit already. I'm moving this to drama. Utilize the PM’s bro... ;)

Originally posted by philippio

ur starting to sound lke the teacher from the Peanuts cartoon:

wah wah wah wah blah blah blah blah blah!!!!!!!!