Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Review: Roly's B-Day at Space

Guest brwneydtrouble

Guest brwneydtrouble

First and foremost I want to wish Roly a happy birthday again.....such a sweetheart you gotta love him.

Starting off Marcus played a great set, a lot of 93.1 stuff though, but I guess thats expected, were they broadcasting live? I kept seeing Buster with a mike and headphones on...

Then Roly came on and was incredible. I'm used to hearing him in the Patio but it was a really great treat to hear him in the main room. I was dancing almost the entire time! Played one of my favorite songs, Luke Chable - Ride, a little played out at this point but still a great song. You could tell he was in a great mood in the booth, he was dancing around and had a grin on his face that was contagious.

The winter decorations were GREAT! Gotta hand it to them, the "snow" on the booth and at the top of the speaker stacks was a really nice touch.

All in all, it was a great night. I left early cause I still wasn't feeling too hot from my overindulgence the night before and the drive back home of course sucked ass. Now off to bed for me!

Oh, and I wanted to thank Biz for going out of his way. :)

Guest brwneydtrouble
Originally posted by blendprod

who was playing around 1 am????

i heard for a couple minutes the broadcast in my car and the guy was banging...too hard too early....

That was Markus. It may have been pretty hard but the crowd was feeling it....people jumping up and down and dancing.

I just woke up....too much boozing before hand at shoreclub and mynt,,,I was literally falling asleep sitting on the stage at space

but Roland OWNED miami last night....so damn hard

no classics? no deep house? didn't matter one bit to the crowd last night, the place was packed and jumping throughout

I ran into some cp folks but even through their repeated efforts I couldn't make out their names :confused:

Originally posted by southof5th

I just woke up....too much boozing before hand at shoreclub and mynt,,,I was literally falling asleep sitting on the stage at space

but Roland OWNED miami last night....so damn hard

no classics? no deep house? didn't matter one bit to the crowd last night, the place was packed and jumping throughout

I ran into some cp folks but even through their repeated efforts I couldn't make out their names :confused:

:laugh: :laugh: well then that just means you had a kick ass time :cool: :cool:

Last night was my first time at Space since I moved down here last week. I had a really good time. Roland tore it up! Hey Bling, were you at there? I was in line around 11:45pm and I'm pretty sure I saw you hanging around the gates to get in (I recognized you from your pics here on CP). Anyway, after I got into Space I tried to find you and meet some other CPers but I didn't see you and I'm not sure what anyone else looks like. Oh well, sorry I couldn't meet any of you. Maybe next time.

Until later...

David

Originally posted by americanflyer

Last night was my first time at Space since I moved down here last week. I had a really good time. Roland tore it up! Hey Bling, were you at there? I was in line around 11:45pm and I'm pretty sure I saw you hanging around the gates to get in (I recognized you from your pics here on CP). Anyway, after I got into Space I tried to find you and meet some other CPers but I didn't see you and I'm not sure what anyone else looks like. Oh well, sorry I couldn't meet any of you. Maybe next time.

Until later...

David

yep that was me u should have said wuz up :)

Originally posted by tigerclaw

Btw, For those out there that are maybe wondering, The opening track Roland played durring the broadcast was.

Underworld - Two Months Off (Desyn Masiello and Leon Roberts Remix)

try again tigerclaw. :)

Los Hermanos - Quetzal (Desyn Masiello and Leon Roberts Edit) :)

I don't usually come on here & write reviews, but last night was sure worthy of one. Let me just start off by sayin' Roly's Terrace set was simply AMAZING!! :eek: I mean it! I haven't seen a better set on that Terrace this year & that includes my favorite Terrace set of 2003's WMC when Sander destroyed that Terrace! We'll get back to this in a bit.

To start, if you were in the mainroom while Roland was throwin' down, then you pretty much got a 5 course meal (No bullshit). A lil' of everything beggining with some smooth funky proggy & dubby stuff. His intro was simply silky smooth & amazing leadin' into the Quetzal track which went off Marvelously. That first hour was incredible & if you heard it on the radio then you know exactly what I'm takin' bout. I'm not gonna post a zillion track Id's cuz that's not my style & I don't like givin' up tracks that easily- Figure it out on your own & get your ass to the club..

Anyway, sometime b4 3am just b4 the broadcast ended, he threw in this hypnotic "Fred Numf vs. ??" track, layered with an acapella that said, "tu eres una puta, vendiendo tu chocha, etc..." He kept loopin' "puta", "puta", "puta", you get the picture. I'll never forget the look on Buster's face! I'm pretty sure Buster doesn't understand spanish that well, but he understood "Puta" & "Chocha" :laugh:. He kept tappin' Roland with a look that said, "Holy shit Roly, we're on the radio"! :eek: "take this off, ahh fukit"! "just keep it goin', it rocks"!! It's the kinda look where you know you shouldn't be doin' something cuz it's bad, but it just feels soo good so you do it anyway.

Shortly after 4am, things we're gettin' too rowdy in the booth so LP came in & cleaned house in there :laugh:. That would have been around the time that Roland was droppin' some minimal techno type stuff, real hi-energy sh_t, b4 he slowly brought things back down with an incredible live edit of House of Pain's "Jump around", filled with sound effects & using all 4 music components from the cdj 1000's to the pioneer effects machine. Wicked loops, cuts & even some scratchin'. The crowd simply lost it & I looked over @ LP in amazement not believin' what we we're hearin' & how well it went over. All I could think of is, "you gotta have balls Roly" & you gotta know when to pull a stunt like that! :eek: AMAZING!!

So the last hour & a half of his set was filled with wicked fun tunes, alot of his newest jems. Some housier, some techy-err stuff and even a few classics that even Saleen would of enjoyed "Young hearts run free" & "I am Ready". That last hour was flat out fun, full of dancin' & str8 up smiles. Didn't bang you out, didn't slow you down. Kept you hoppin' & pointin' your fingers at the dj like he was god & most of all kept you smilin'.

6am comes around & we step out the the Terrace. Roly's mainroom set was awesome, but I wasn't prepared for what was about to happen on the Terrace..

PURE SICKNESS!!

PURE PATIO FUNK!!

God that had to have been the best set I heard all year out there beatin' out Sander & Howells WMC sets of 2003. Everyone on that Terrace was energized & excited as if they had just woken up on Christmas day at the age of 10 to a tree full of presents. That big room felt like it 50 square ft. by 50. Everyone bouncin' around, pointin' fingers @ the booth, dancin', screamin' & hootin' all mornin' long. Roly's terrace set was soo well put together that every track & the entire mix was simply flawless & complimented each bassline, beat & groove. I had peepz comin' up to me askin' me for tons of ids. Not a single request from anyone in the crowd as it sometimes is, just str8 up fun & everyone was lost in the music. I swear to god, it felt like conference for 1 mornin' & I'm not exhajurrating.

All in all it was amazin', I don't usually come on here & post reviews, especially Space reviews cuz some might think I'm bein' biased. But believe me, I felt every ounce of that night & mornin'. I was blown away!! :eek:

If you didn't go, I hope I gave you an idea of what it felt like for me & what you missed...

The Roland Marathon.. I think we can get used to this from time to time... ;)

Originally posted by biznation00

I don't usually come on here & write reviews, but last night was sure worthy of one. Let me just start off by sayin' Roly's Terrace set was simply AMAZING!! :eek: I mean it! I haven't seen a better set on that Terrace this year & that includes my favorite Terrace set of 2003's WMC when Sander destroyed that Terrace! We'll get back to this in a bit.

To start, if you were in the mainroom while Roland was throwin' down, then you pretty much got a 5 course meal (No bullshit). A lil' of everything beggining with some smooth funky proggy & dubby stuff. His intro was simply silky smooth & amazing leadin' into the Quetzal track which went off Marvelously. That first hour was incredible & if you heard it on the radio then you know exactly what I'm takin' bout. I'm not gonna post a zillion track Id's cuz that's not my style & I don't like givin' up tracks that easily- Figure it out on your own & get your ass to the club..

Anyway, sometime b4 3am just b4 the broadcast ended, he threw in this hypnotic "Fred Numf vs. ??" track, layered with an acapella that said, "tu eres una puta, vendiendo tu chocha, etc..." He kept loopin' "puta", "puta", "puta", you get the picture. I'll never forget the look on Buster's face! I'm pretty sure Buster doesn't understand spanish that well, but he understood "Puta" & "Chocha" :laugh:. He kept tappin' Roland with a look that said, "Holy shit Roly, we're on the radio"! :eek: "take this off, ahh fukit"! "just keep it goin', it rocks"!! It's the kinda look where you know you shouldn't be doin' something cuz it's bad, but it just feels soo good so you do it anyway.

Shortly after 4am, things we're gettin' too rowdy in the booth so LP came in & cleaned house in there :laugh:. That would have been around the time that Roland was droppin' some minimal techno type stuff, real hi-energy sh_t, b4 he slowly brought things back down with an incredible live edit of House of Pain's "Jump around", filled with sound effects & using all 4 music components from the cdj 1000's to the pioneer effects machine. Wicked loops, cuts & even some scratchin'. The crowd simply lost it & I looked over @ LP in amazement not believin' what we we're hearin' & how well it went over. All I could think of is, "you gotta have balls Roly" & you gotta know when to pull a stunt like that! :eek: AMAZING!!

So the last hour & a half of his set was filled with wicked fun tunes, alot of his newest jems. Some housier, some techy-err stuff and even a few classics that even Saleen would of enjoyed "Young hearts run free" & "I am Ready". That last hour was flat out fun, full of dancin' & str8 up smiles. Didn't bang you out, didn't slow you down. Kept you hoppin' & pointin' your fingers at the dj like he was god & most of all kept you smilin'.

6am comes around & we step out the the Terrace. Roly's mainroom set was awesome, but I wasn't prepared for what was about to happen on the Terrace..

PURE SICKNESS!!

PURE PATIO FUNK!!

God that had to have been the best set I heard all year out there beatin' out Sander & Howells WMC sets of 2003. Everyone on that Terrace was energized & excited as if they had just woken up on Christmas day at the age of 10 to a tree full of presents. That big room felt like it 50 square ft. by 50. Everyone bouncin' around, pointin' fingers @ the booth, dancin', screamin' & hootin' all mornin' long. Roly's terrace set was soo well put together that every track & the entire mix was simply flawless & complimented each bassline, beat & groove. I had peepz comin' up to me askin' me for tons of ids. Not a single request from anyone in the crowd as it sometimes is, just str8 up fun & everyone was lost in the music. I swear to god, it felt like conference for 1 mornin' & I'm not exhajurrating.

All in all it was amazin', I don't usually come on here & post reviews, especially Space reviews cuz some might think I'm bein' biased. But believe me, I felt every ounce of that night & mornin'. I was blown away!! :eek:

If you didn't go, I hope I gave you an idea of what it felt like for me & what you missed...

The Roland Marathon.. I think we can get used to this from time to time... ;)

:eek: :eek:

Nice review, Biz.

Damn, you gotta write reviews more often. :tongue: