Clubplanet Nightlife Community

any med school/nursing/psychistriatry students??

Originally posted by stompy

you also have to consider the fact that you're working crazy hours, so, before going to med school think hard about talking and dealing with people, and what you're really getting into

Are you a medical student? If so, then you better start learning some respect for NPs because in the real world of medicine (internal medicine), we function as MDs. In fact, we are highly respected by most attendings...its just some of the residents that have attitudes. The funny thing is that a lot of interns and residents know less!!!

Case in point - I had a patient with hyponatremia and with an HCT of 24 and I ordered 2 units PRBCs. Well, in signing out to the intern he was like "Ok, so if I re-check the sodium and its still low then do you want me to give a liter of NS?" Now, if you are a medical student then you should see the fault there. If you are not a medical student then your statement is without any merit and you have no idea what NPs do and how well they do it.

Do you remember the article in the NEJM where NP care was compared to MD care? Let me summarize it...the NPs got the diagnosis correct equal to (and sometimes more than) the MDs. This was certainly not NP biased since it was in the NEJM.

So, what is your reply?

Originally posted by vamptrix76

I attend College of Mount Saint Vincent nursing school, if you need info let me know. As for what Stompy is saying he is right, RNs get paid well and in a shorter amount of time. But it is hard, I warn u!!

Kat

WERD!!! That is one of the schools i am looking in to.. i work for their organization on the bayley seton campus in staten island, so i'm hoping that will give me some pull.. what are the applications like??? i haven't started any of that stuff yet.. hit me up on aim/aol if you could.. my name is lesmcnall thanks a lot vamp

i don't see myself becoming a regular doctor that's not really for me.. and i think psychiatry is too hard of a goal to attain.. i have to be honest with myself and it's definitely not for me... maybe after nursing school and once im making money i can go for my md.. but until then it's definitely notf or me.. i need my freedom..

except all that RN's do is wipe old vegetable's asses all day and give them sponge baths.

not a rewarding job at all. id rather be a doctor and tell people what to do, make more money than all of them combined, and not be on call 24/7...

see you in med school

Originally posted by rudeboyyouth

My original plan was to attend grad school, but I wound up taking the LSAT instead. I can't tell you how much I'm dreading law school right now. I just don't like studying law, and I can't get enthused about it. I study hard, and I do well, but I haven't been treating law as something I want to practice as a career. I really want to drop out and totally change the path I'm on, but I figured I'd tough it out since I only have a year and a half left. I have absolutely no idea what the fuck I want to do with my life, which is pretty much why I'm still in school. The law degree may open a few others doors as well, so it definitely can't hurt. Plus, it's a pretty good education.

Even if I decided to stop going, I have no idea what the fuck I'd want to get into. I've been working at so many different jobs for years now, and I really need to set some type of ultimate career goal soon!

just hang in there.....really it will pay off ....... now you might not even see it yet where it can help....but remember its educattion...knowledge no one can take away from you.... and you have nothing to lose by being still in school.... some might be yealous that you still have the privilagce to study....

and about not knowing what you want to do with your life..... come on how many people do you know who are perfectly set and happy in what they do? realize, there is a pressure from the society....to be a success....but everyone has their own time... some know since they are kids what they want......but many are searching their whole adult life.... so dont worry

.....I left university for three years.....and now Im back..... finishing up....and its so fucking hard to study again..... Im not into what I study either as I used to be years ago.....but damn....want to get that degree.....just a year left to graduate.....

so hang in there :) :) ......you not losing.....you gaining in whatever you are stuying

Originally posted by sobecrobar

Are you a medical student? If so, then you better start learning some respect for NPs because in the real world of medicine (internal medicine), we function as MDs. In fact, we are highly respected by most attendings...its just some of the residents that have attitudes. The funny thing is that a lot of interns and residents know less!!!

Case in point - I had a patient with hyponatremia and with an HCT of 24 and I ordered 2 units PRBCs. Well, in signing out to the intern he was like "Ok, so if I re-check the sodium and its still low then do you want me to give a liter of NS?" Now, if you are a medical student then you should see the fault there. If you are not a medical student then your statement is without any merit and you have no idea what NPs do and how well they do it.

Do you remember the article in the NEJM where NP care was compared to MD care? Let me summarize it...the NPs got the diagnosis correct equal to (and sometimes more than) the MDs. This was certainly not NP biased since it was in the NEJM.

So, what is your reply?

:laugh: :laugh: chill out dood. this isnt a test

So, what is your reply?

Seriously bro, relax a little. We all know how uptight the poor little med students can be, but you're apt to have a stroke before you're done paying your loans.;)

Originally posted by someclown

Seriously bro, relax a little. We all know how uptight the poor little med students can be, but you're apt to have a stroke before you're done paying your loans.;)

I apologize for being defensive. Its just that the statement about NPs not being able to take a leak in a US med school was a bit harsh...wouldn't you agree?

I totally admit that I went the NP route because I didn't want med school. I love music and have lots of hobbies and I wanted to practice medicine with the ability to work 40 hrs/wk...being an NP gives me that opportunity.

I have 100% respect for MDs since I know how hard training is. Moreover, the MDs (most) have 100% respect for me in the hospital I work at. NPs vary in their ability to practice and I have done well and most docs I work with pretty much consider me their equal. That said, I am not a cowboy and know where my limits are and every once in awhile I have to hand the case off. Not so much because I can't handle the case, but more because the pt is too sick and needs house staff coverage. The fact is, medicine is all about practice experience and being an NP is no different. I have far more clinical experience than an intern and a lot less clinical experience than an attending that has practiced for years.

As far as the case is concerned, the pt was known to have chronic anemia and had been worked up multiple times. The pt needed to come in again for 2 units PRBCs and the hyponatremia was a secondary issue likely related to volume depletion. Of course, there are a couple of different ways to treat hyponatremia using fluid restriction and a sodium re-check or IVF followed with lasix...to each his own. The point being, the intern wanted to simply give NS to a hyponatremic pt thinking it would correct the problem.

sobecrobar

i dont know how i offended a np, but if you insist i did, then i did

all i said that with a 2.6 gpa you will have a hard time getting into a med school

also, keep in mind that doctors are also people (this includes residents and interns who are still learning), and no one is perfect, and this might sound scary, but everyone makes mistakes, including doctors and if you think that residents should know everything, is it fair to expect a np to know everything before he gets the degree?

if you want to bitch about how stupid attending are, that's one thing, but if you will rip apart someone who is overworked and still learning, that's differnt

and this might be new to you, but even you don't know everything,

as to the NEJM article, i didn't read it

:D

I'm in an osteopathic med school. you end up getting the DO degree instead of the MD, but there is essentially no difference between what an MD and DO can do. the admission standard is slightly lower for DO schools; they look at the overall applicant instead of just #'s. it's great for people that want to change their careers, in my class there are folks that used to be mba's, respiratory therapists, pilots, teachers, etc. I have friends in allopathic (MD) schools and they have seen my curriculum and exams, and some of them agree my schedule is actually more demanding than theirs. the great thing about attending DO school is that if you score well on the boards, you can do either an MD or DO residency. i plan on doing an MD residency, right now i'm leaning towards anesthesiology or psychiatry. there are currently 20 DO schools in the country, so if you're premed, you should definitely look into DO schools, as well as MD. i did mediocre in college, 3.3 gpa in biochemistry at stony brook, with a 25 on the mcats.

I apologize for being defensive. Its just that the statement about NPs not being able to take a leak in a US med school was a bit harsh...wouldn't you agree?

I totally admit that I went the NP route because I didn't want med school. I love music and have lots of hobbies and I wanted to practice medicine with the ability to work 40 hrs/wk...being an NP gives me that opportunity.

I have 100% respect for MDs since I know how hard training is. Moreover, the MDs (most) have 100% respect for me in the hospital I work at. NPs vary in their ability to practice and I have done well and most docs I work with pretty much consider me their equal. That said, I am not a cowboy and know where my limits are and every once in awhile I have to hand the case off. Not so much because I can't handle the case, but more because the pt is too sick and needs house staff coverage. The fact is, medicine is all about practice experience and being an NP is no different. I have far more clinical experience than an intern and a lot less clinical experience than an attending that has practiced for years.

As far as the case is concerned, the pt was known to have chronic anemia and had been worked up multiple times. The pt needed to come in again for 2 units PRBCs and the hyponatremia was a secondary issue likely related to volume depletion. Of course, there are a couple of different ways to treat hyponatremia using fluid restriction and a sodium re-check or IVF followed with lasix...to each his own. The point being, the intern wanted to simply give NS to a hyponatremic pt thinking it would correct the problem.

True story: One of my good friends is a surgeon who occasionally likes to go out and party. He was at SF last year for JP's birthday, cracked out of his mind, when some dude walks up to him and says "Yo man, you look familiar".

My friend is like, "I don't think so..."

They guy goes, "Holy shit, you were the doctor who took my appendix out!!!!"

The bottom line is, that with proper time management skills, one can have a strenuous line of work and still get out of the house occasionally.:D

Originally posted by someclown

True story: One of my good friends is a surgeon who occasionally likes to go out and party. He was at SF last year for JP's birthday, cracked out of his mind, when some dude walks up to him and says "Yo man, you look familiar".

My friend is like, "I don't think so..."

They guy goes, "Holy shit, you were the doctor who took my appendix out!!!!"

The bottom line is, that with proper time management skills, one can have a strenuous line of work and still get out of the house occasionally.:D

:laugh: :laugh: :rofl: