Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Feel Free to Expose the Weak Jersey Scene...

Im sooooo close to posting another classic "you can't handle the truth" sandman rant on every club in NJ....

It will probably have me banned from many places I go and Ill accept that if its going to show how much all of you are lied to each week by whore promoters on this board....

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by thesandman

Im sooooo close to posting another classic "you can't handle the truth" sandman rant on every club in NJ....

It will probably have me banned from many places I go and Ill accept that if its going to show how much all of you are lied to each week by whore promoters on this board....

You really hate promoters!! lol

make a fake screen name then:idea:

Originally posted by deeelite1

Not my style.... Ill bash and accept the consequences (sp?)

I have caught shit on more than one occasion for exposing the truth... Lots of people don't like to hear the truth from an arm chair quarterback internet bitch like myself....

Binoys, Ill go easy on you......lmao

Originally posted by deeelite1

I have caught shit on more than one occasion for exposing the truth... Lots of people don't like to hear the truth from an arm chair quarterback internet bitch like myself....

go baby go. its all constructive criticism and u know what since u dont work in the business (maybe u do for Circa, hahahahaha) you should be able to speak ur mind. I have been around for a long time and read lots of ur threads and u are pretty accurate with what u say. The one thing that u need to remember is that I have done at least 6 djs in the last 2 summers and Bond has done a few others and we both can say there has been less positive responses then negative responses. So if you are going to criticize anyone on our dj booking selection please offer more of a suggestion on how we beat the jersey customer into enjoying different djs and also give them the knowledge on who is who. Thanks, looking forward to some good reading

Originally posted by stigeleiro

go baby go. its all constructive criticism and u know what since u dont work in the business (maybe u do for Circa, hahahahaha) you should be able to speak ur mind. I have been around for a long time and read lots of ur threads and u are pretty accurate with what u say. The one thing that u need to remember is that I have done at least 6 djs in the last 2 summers and Bond has done a few others and we both can say there has been less positive responses then negative responses. So if you are going to criticize anyone on our dj booking selection please offer more of a suggestion on how we beat the jersey customer into enjoying different djs and also give them the knowledge on who is who. Thanks, looking forward to some good reading

Im guessing your talking about the year in review quiz 3003 which was by far the most intelligent post ever written on this board.... Not to put myself over but it was that good and many people didn't reply b/c they didn't want to support a post that may of pissed off people in the business.

I don't work in the business let alone I have taken the last 4 months off after working a miserable 13 hour a day madness job for the last year and a half. I only put Circa over so much b/c its innovative and original.

thesandman books the Surf Club :

#1 You booked "that awful South Park DJ" for last years opening party... place ran for the door like a Chinese Fire Drill at 9pmish.

Opening Party... Let 3 DJs open shit up, don't book anyone from that dreadful KTU.... You don't need their help, use the money that would of gone to KTU and to a God awful MC to pay for quality DJs, lower the cover, and have drink specials so alcoholics can feel they are a part of the fun too.

Hire your buddy Boris to headline (and tell him Cheetah and discotech style set, not the yawn fest he threw down at Spirit 2 weeks ago.) Your boy has been ripping it big time in the city, bring that to YOUR club. He has completely changed his style and his sets today are better than his Big Fridays Roxy 99 days which most people still remember.

The other 2 djs should be from NJ..... why? b/c NJ djs rip that room better than the outsiders you brought in last summer for the telephone number pricetags. Im not going to say who (the summer 2000 resident *cough cough*) but just get 2 dudes who have been rocking it this year...

Do I make sense here Serge.?... as for bashing promoters, you do stuff with class and its a lost art due to new ham and eggers that whore for cp people to come to their hot new parties...

My suggestion is realistic, I didn't call for PVD or Tiesto to get flown in.... lmao Would you make more money this way and would people have a better time???? Isn't that what would bring your place back....

thefnsandman

Im guessing your talking about the year in review quiz 3003 which was by far the most intelligent post ever written on this board.... Not to put myself over but it was that good and many people didn't reply b/c they didn't want to support a post that may of pissed off people in the business.

I don't work in the business let alone I have taken the last 4 months off after working a miserable 13 hour a day madness job for the last year and a half. I only put Circa over so much b/c its innovative and original.

#1 You booked "that awful South Park DJ" for last years opening party... place ran for the door like a Chinese Fire Drill at 9pmish.

Opening Party... Let 3 DJs open shit up, don't book anyone from that dreadful KTU.... You don't need their help, use the money that would of gone to KTU and to a God awful MC to pay for quality DJs, lower the cover, and have drink specials so alcoholics can feel they are a part of the fun too.

Hire your buddy Boris to headline (and tell him Cheetah and discotech style set, not the yawn fest he threw down at Spirit 2 weeks ago.) Your boy has been ripping it big time in the city, bring that to YOUR club. He has completely changed his style and his sets today are better than his Big Fridays Roxy 99 days which most people still remember.

The other 2 djs should be from NJ..... why? b/c NJ djs rip that room better than the outsiders you brought in last summer for the telephone number pricetags. Im not going to say who (the summer 2000 resident *cough cough*) but just get 2 dudes who have been rocking it this year...

Do I make sense here Serge.?... as for bashing promoters, you do stuff with class and its a lost art due to new ham and eggers that whore for cp people to come to their hot new parties...

My suggestion is realistic, I didn't call for PVD or Tiesto to get flown in.... lmao Would you make more money this way and would people have a better time???? Isn't that what would bring your place back....

thefnsandman

I agree 100%.......................book some NEW talent, u know ask for demos...............Serge seems like a nice guy, with no eliteist attitude.........STOP BOOKING SUCKY DJ"S........THAT CAN"T MIX.....just because there on the radio....

MAYBE 1 WEEKEND OUT OF THE MONTH HAVE A UNKNOWN DJ SHOWCASE AT SURF..........

thefnsandman

:clap::clap2: :clap2: :aright::bowdown::werd:

Great Reply.

The only thing I will argue is the

"his sets today are better than his Big Fridays Roxy 99 days which most people still remember."

Easy there Killah.

You cant compare Now to then...things have changed sooo much. FOr then it was the best of the best. the way things have gone now...you cant compare todays scene and music with the past. Look at the music for example...Years ago (and Im talking like 80's) it was freestyle and then music evolved to prog. house trance tribal and everything else. But before that change freestyle was the mainstream. SO comparing a set now to the past I think isnt valid.

THE PROBLEM IS, PROMOTERS R LOYAL TO THERE FRIENDS, NOT CLUB GOERS, MEANING BOOKING DJ'S THAT SUCK ONLY BECAUSE THERE FRIENDS......JOHNNY MACRONOI(SP) HE SHOULDN'T BE SPINNING ANYWHERE...........SERIOUSLY

CASE IN POINT...........SANDBAR, LAST YR. BOOKED TERRIBLE GUEST DJ'S DURING THE SUMMER, (EXCEPT SANTANA). nO DISRESPECT TO ADAM AND BILL BUT THIS YR. BOOK SOME BETTER GUEST DJ'S, DON'T WORRY IF THEY'RE KNOWN, JUST MAKE SURE THEY CAN SPIN. nOBODY GOES TO CLUBS TO SEE LIL CEE OR THE RIDDLER, I'M NOT BEING MEAN JUST BEING REAL.........SANDBAR HAS SO MUCH POTENTIAL, MAKE IT HAPPEN THIS YR.

Originally posted by mkutlass

THE PROBLEM IS, PROMOTERS R LOYAL TO THERE FRIENDS, NOT CLUB GOERS, MEANING BOOKING DJ'S THAT SUCK ONLY BECAUSE THERE FRIENDS......JOHNNY MACRONOI(SP) HE SHOULDN'T BE SPINNING ANYWHERE...........SERIOUSLY

CASE IN POINT...........SANDBAR, LAST YR. BOOKED TERRIBLE GUEST DJ'S DURING THE SUMMER, (EXCEPT SANTANA). nO DISRESPECT TO ADAM AND BILL BUT THIS YR. BOOK SOME BETTER GUEST DJ'S, DON'T WORRY IF THEY'RE KNOWN, JUST MAKE SURE THEY CAN SPIN. nOBODY GOES TO CLUBS TO SEE LIL CEE OR THE RIDDLER, I'M NOT BEING MEAN JUST BEING REAL.........SANDBAR HAS SO MUCH POTENTIAL, MAKE IT HAPPEN THIS YR.

You have to keep in mind, this is a business and a major operation. If a club is going to have someone like Richie Santana play, not only is he going to pack the room out, but there is only going to be a remote amount of people walking away saying, "damn i didn't like his music"...

From a business perspective, KTU's Lil Cee and Riddler, may not be your cup of tea, but again, this is a business, they countlessly repeat the venues/gigs they are going to be played at, for no extra charge on the air. From a BUSINESS perspective, this is a great deal. Riddler and Lil Cee are not there every week, its a once in awile thing. You have to keep in mind that even though a remote amoutn of people are going to be upset with "the music", the club is going to be filled, again, a great business aspect.

I think sometimes people forget that in new jersey theres a particular "Scene" to it, one that several dj's are able to capture and hold and do a great job. Theres no reason to take risky chances in putting on people in a huge room who have not played out before, people have not heard them, and then possibly take a beating that night with admissions? It's a business... again, you have to really really really think if you were in promoters shoes, and wanted your business to operate, what you would do, legitimately.

** dont get me wrong i would love to hear a deep dark dirty progressive set for 8 hours in a jersey room, but its too much of a risk to take in the jersey club land

ANd ill be the first to admit there are a ton of great dj's production/track selection wise that i would love ot hear play in new jersye more often, but being brutally honest, they wont play to the room and play what wants to be heard... from a businss perspective, this isn't the best idea. business business business! im not a promoter, but operations in jersey are much different of that in other area's. and theres all a good reason to it, or so i believe.

First off, I would take u over cee and riddler anytime......... Sandbar last yr. didn't do good numbers, yeah the weather wasn't the greatest, but that's why u bring in good dj's. The sandbar has the label for a nice weather club, Sandbar needs to change it to a allweather club. When lil cee and riddler were there I didn't see any differenece in the amount of people. U don't don't need free radio plugs to fill a room, the tunnel never used radio ads and they managed to fill up the club. Trust me people care about music, Sandbar has alot of competition now, the shore and the city, so they need to step up........... Save your money and don't book any ktu dj's........ Justin u should lock the door to the booth and drop some deep progressive tribal............

Another example SG (i like the place) BUT everytime ktu or lil cee was there the regulars weren't and numbers were low( by no means was it empty)..... Ktu brings in a crappy crowd at least at soundgarden, also when ktu's there stevie has to play crappy commerical music..............

Another example how many times did ktu dj's play at Sleep????? will now it's 18 for girls, when it used to be 21 for everyone. So ALL THE FREE RADIO ADS DIDN'T HELP, doing the commerical thing doesN'T always work.........

Another example, DEKO Sat's have never had any ktu dj's (at least not to my knowledge) and there doing just fine......they did need any free RADIO plugs, they did it the good old fashion way HARD WORK......

PROMOTERS THINK THAT U CAN JUST BOOK A KTU DJ AND WILL HAVE A PACK CLUB, THE CLUBS HAVE WENT TO IT DIDN'T WORK

Originally posted by mkutlass

First off, I would take u over cee and riddler anytime......... Sandbar last yr. didn't do good numbers, yeah the weather wasn't the greatest, but that's why u bring in good dj's. The sandbar has the label for a nice weather club, Sandbar needs to change that to a place. When lil cee and riddler were there I didn't see any differenece in the amount of people. U don't don't need free radio plugs to fill a room, the tunnel never used radio ads and they managed to fill up the club. Trust me people care about music, Sandbar has alot of competition now, the shore and the city, so they need to step up........... Save your money and don't book any ktu dj's........ Justin u should lock the door to the booth and drop some deep progressive tribal............

i won't be there this year.

WHY NOT???? THEY BETTER NOT HAVE LIL CEE OR RIDDLER AS THE RESIDENTS............ SERIOUSLY I WOULD RATHER HAVE U THERE, I DJ THAT LOVES HOUSE MUSIC LIKE ME THAN SOME EGO MANIC DJ THAT THINK HE IS GOD...... MY CAR MIGHT BE HAVING ALOT MORE MILES DRIVING TO THE HAMPTONS OR THE SHORE, I HOPE THE SANDBAR DOESN'T SUCK :(

thefnsandman

I definitely agree with you and as I mentioned in another thread all the promoters are one big team and many times we are asked to bring their guy in. I have done that the past few years and it hasnt burned me. This years schedule is different. First of all it is done prior to any promoter really getting to me. Mkutlass good idea with the showcase but bottom line not enough weeks in the summer. Regarding the opening. KTU is behind it always because Johnny Budz is our early guy every Sunday. Not just that Sunday but every Sunday. Our problem is from 12-5 we have lots of families on the beach and the dj that plays those times cant play with ego and must be real commercial. Johnny is a perfect fit. My NJ guy as we know is Kirk Lopez he goes on next and yes Boris is finishing and for those that heard his last set at Joeys know it wasnt no Spirit. So last year was the biggest grand opening with that team (I missed it because of Denny's wedding) but I heard the music was on point. From there on I have changed my ideas. I did what I wanted to do. Memorial Day Sunday Richie Santana is manning the turntables. You will see him, Boris and Jason more then once. I need to give NJ what they want. I have one week open right now that I am not filling until I really try one more time this year with some international flavor. I take suggestions.

I definitely agree with you and as I mentioned in another thread all the promoters are one big team and many times we are asked to bring their guy in. I have done that the past few years and it hasnt burned me. This years schedule is different. First of all it is done prior to any promoter really getting to me. Mkutlass good idea with the showcase but bottom line not enough weeks in the summer. Regarding the opening. KTU is behind it always because Johnny Budz is our early guy every Sunday. Not just that Sunday but every Sunday. Our problem is from 12-5 we have lots of families on the beach and the dj that plays those times cant play with ego and must be real commercial. Johnny is a perfect fit. My NJ guy as we know is Kirk Lopez he goes on next and yes Boris is finishing and for those that heard his last set at Joeys know it wasnt no Spirit. So last year was the biggest grand opening with that team (I missed it because of Denny's wedding) but I heard the music was on point. From there on I have changed my ideas. I did what I wanted to do. Memorial Day Sunday Richie Santana is manning the turntables. You will see him, Boris and Jason more then once. I need to give NJ what they want. I have one week open right now that I am not filling until I really try one more time this year with some international flavor. I take suggestions.

;)

I hear you on the 12-5 thing, (although starting shit up at 4 wouldn't be all that bad either)

I had no clue Boris was there for the opeing party.... That was off the top of my head... Please tell him Cheetah style set b/c his shit was insane there, Surf Club would react even better.

KostaP- I hear you on the 99 Big Fridays, I thought those were some of the best sets of music of all time, thats why I was shocked when Boris blew that away 2x at Cheetah and once at Discotech w/ myself in attendance. I really like the new music better.

Serge- Why not a month long theme of NJ vs NY.... each week 2 guys rip it against each other (I referring to a friendly competition for those who read this and take it too seriously) Think of the endless possibilities that theme could bring....

I agree w/ all of Mkutlasses posts which marks a first .....

KTU is useless

For the record...

I NEVER spun at SANDBAR last summer. I hung out plenty of times with KTU and Roveen at sandbar but never spun. Roveen is a mad man! Love him like a brotha. I even hung out at Sandbar when Andrew Mendez tore shit up. I was there plenty of times when Justin Higgins threw down so much props to you sir!

Last summer, I spun all over. I spun at DJais and XS mainly last summer and my once a month residency in Houston, Texas. I even got to spin with Carl Cox and Danny Howells in LAS VEGAS JULY 4TH at the House of Blues. So while I reside in NJ, I don't consider myself just a Jersey DJ. Right now my residency is in Long Island at Mirage where we are doing great numbers. I get to play a wide selection of tracks and because we stay open til 430-5am. I get to play some nice dark underground beats after 230am. I invite any jersey person to come by Mirage in Westbury. Even Tenaglia played there 2 weeks ago.

I play to my crowd whatever it may be. I even got to spin at Cheetah a couple of times last fall so I know how to throw down underground style. Its just that these clubs hire me to spin for the KTU commercial crowd. I don't mind because that is what I do for KTU. However, I do know my music and keep in touch with what's happenin on the streets. I thank the promoters, club patrons, and listeners for all the support.

DANCE MIX 5 IN STORES MARCH 23, 2004

www.djriddler.com

Honestly I dont think Surf Club would benefit from international flavor, I could be wrong but a few years ago the place was a zoo EVERY weekend with Mendez and Lopez. I have to give love to these guys up in the booth 'cuz they're the few who play some of the trance I always wanna hear. Besides the weather, what happened last summer? Bring in the "Space All-Stars" ...Roland, Oscar G. and former resident Cedric Gervais!

Originally posted by thehype

gotta agree wit you on that 1...i also like the fact that he throws in some trance in his sets

agreed 100%....its b/c of rich playing ATRC in his sets that that record was heard by a WHOLE different audience that would normally never hear a track like that-- Plus b/c of that, motorcycle is performing (at least the vocalist is) at the next KTU concert.... = putting $$ back into the industry...

Mkutlass-- you weren't one of the thousands at sandbar the friday me and mark went nuts in there? I've never seen so many people in one club in NJ in one night (we got lucky b/c that was the first nice weather weekend of the summer in June but we still played a really good set (prolly the best set me and mark played together to this day))

all this talk of surf club is killing me with an inch of ice on the ground outside :(

Mike

Originally posted by djmikebugout

[...

Mkutlass-- you weren't one of the thousands at sandbar the friday me and mark went nuts in there? I've never seen so many people in one club in NJ in one night (we got lucky b/c that was the first nice weather weekend of the summer in June but we still played a really good set (prolly the best set me and mark played together to this day))

- I thought the coolest thing Sandbar did was letting you 2 do your thing last summer. I had some great times w/ my friends there. Some started going there w/ or w/o me that usually wouldn't even hit clubs anymore.... Hopefully they will bring you guys back.