Clubplanet Nightlife Community

the TRUTH about the STATE OF NYC NIGHTLIFE... read on..

Originally posted by starlanyc

montebrogan... great post. i totally agree... where did all the good looking people go? i remember big fridays at roxy and youre more then right.. everyone used to dress up back then.

everyone wanted to look good, and have a clean image, meet other people, attract other people etc.. it seems like now these people are ONLY going out to get fuct up and don't care how they look or how they will appear to everyone else...

i dont know if the genereation that you and i partied with were just more responsible, more intelligent, or whatever... but no one back then would ever want to look as fuct up as these kids look today... i mean, going out was all about feeling good about yourself, dressing up, showing yourself off, and having a good time... no one back then would want anyone to see them huddled in a corner having convulsions or puking in a trash can slumped on the floor... you just dont want everyone to look at you like that...

now it seems like, the focus is only on the drugs adn people dont give a fuck whaat kind of mess their in or how they look to other people...

god knows i would be ashamed to be such a mess like that, and i certainly wouldnt want everyone to see me like that...

i too am ashamed and disgusted by this new wave of club goers... im just hoping that the scene can get cleaned up and maybe there will be a re-birth comming soon...

Starlanyc, thanks...we are on the same page.

Check your PM's.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

montebrogan... great post. i totally agree... where did all the good looking people go? i remember big fridays at roxy and youre more then right.. everyone used to dress up back then.

everyone wanted to look good, and have a clean image, meet other people, attract other people etc.. it seems like now these people are ONLY going out to get fuct up and don't care how they look or how they will appear to everyone else...

i dont know if the genereation that you and i partied with were just more responsible, more intelligent, or whatever... but no one back then would ever want to look as fuct up as these kids look today... i mean, going out was all about feeling good about yourself, dressing up, showing yourself off, and having a good time... no one back then would want anyone to see them huddled in a corner having convulsions or puking in a trash can slumped on the floor... you just dont want everyone to look at you like that...

now it seems like, the focus is only on the drugs adn people dont give a fuck whaat kind of mess their in or how they look to other people...

god knows i would be ashamed to be such a mess like that, and i certainly wouldnt want everyone to see me like that...

i too am ashamed and disgusted by this new wave of club goers... im just hoping that the scene can get cleaned up and maybe there will be a re-birth comming soon...

I completely agree with you as well.....right on point

100% in agreement and as you can see many old skoolers agree as well. These new skool cats should take notes on this sh*t before afterhours is GONE for GOOD!. Big Fridays was no angel party.....you usually needed a girl to get in and I saw more people get carried outta that party than any other.....probably the most intense party I have EVER BEEN TO!......difference-simple......drug of choice. People lay off the G........Iv'e seen enough to tell stories to bore everyone but seriously......stay away from G. It has ruined/and will continue to ruin so much down the road there will be nothing left! Sure K, pills,coke and all that ain't good either.......but take a step back and see what's happening before being so quick to point fingers and ramble off the mouth. Let's keep it alive if not for yourself.......then for everyone else out there!

100% in agreement and as you can see many old skoolers agree as well. These new skool cats should take notes on this sh*t before afterhours is GONE for GOOD!. Big Fridays was no angel party.....you usually needed a girl to get in and I saw more people get carried outta that party than any other.....probably the most intense party I have EVER BEEN TO!......difference-simple......drug of choice. People lay off the G........Iv'e seen enough to tell stories to bore everyone but seriously......stay away from G. It has ruined/and will continue to ruin so much down the road there will be nothing left! Sure K, pills,coke and all that ain't good either.......but take a step back and see what's happening before being so quick to point fingers and ramble off the mouth. Let's keep it alive if not for yourself.......then for everyone else out there!

Guest 8ypa13
Originally posted by jamezzz

thats all bullshit booze still kills more each year than g so does coke and heroine its just because g is new and getting attention just like crack got attention in the early 80"s

You forgot one important fact. One is legal to do after a certain age, while the other isn't at all.

Originally posted by cubano43

Amen!!!:blown:

If you need drugs to enjoy, S&D, Tiesto, Corsten, PVD, and countless of others you shouldn't be at the club. Get your cd players and go to your nearest crackhouse. Enjoy your friends!!

Well Said. Nice taste in music by the way:aright:

[ its kinda sad to blame abuse of drugs on jp...it has to do with the idiots who think they need to be high to dance all night and feel the music...smoke some trees and feel the music...killin urself and blamin jp for kids overdosin is wrong!!!!

Originally posted by rs22b

you wont see me doin any of that shit.

straight edge.

AND FOR ALL OF YOU PPL THAT ARE OUT THERE DOIN THIS SHIT DONT RUIN IT FOR YOURSELVES OR OTHERS. GOTTA REMEMBER THAT ITS NOT ALL ABOUT YOU.

stupid fuckers.

haha :D

that's right, rs22b!

===

i have a comment to all the youngins that think the older folks are crying for the old days.

we don't want things the way they were, we want new music and the development of new kinds of music. but what we also want is a cool place to chill or dance and enjoy the music. WITHOUT all the ugliness around that would ruin our night. we want a place where we can meet new friends.

that is what we are crying about! the loss of a cavernous wonderland with great new surprises around every corner. whether the surprise is a cool new person you meet or an old friend that you haven't seen in months or a cool room with just the right music to fit your mood that night or just walking around & watching everyone get along & having a great fuking time.

that's what i miss at least.

where's PLUR when you need it?

I don't even like JP as a d.j., but come one.........people need to take responsibility for their own shit.....If you OD, sorry, but you obviously don't know your limits. Have fun but don't be stupid. There comes a point when you need to stop chasing that high. People blaming others because of their own weaknesses is just another sign of weakness.

Originally posted by bbbooom

how many times is this bullshit gonna be a new thread?

as many times as it takes till these stupid irresponsible kids smarten up.

big roxy fridays - there won't be another party like that again.i never missed a friday!

i'm old school i remember the way it was.

roxy fridays then sf sat's.

i'm not going to reiterate all thats been said in this post and others of the like, but i'll just say i agree with you all.

ALSO WANTED TO SAY GREAT ORIGINAL POST.

I too was a SF head and Roxy fan from '98-01. I remember the vibe and the beautiful woman. I remember dressing up, and I even remember Paris denying people entrance! I know with absolute certainty that SF owners/manangement made the decision to start letting anyone and everyone in, not Paris. They got greedy and because of that greed, they started letting the undesirables, attracting a new crowd, pushing away the crowd they had catered to during their best years. This is one of the major reasons, amongst others such as the change of music, drugs, and even more so the CHANGING OF TIMES, which has lead to SF's demise.

I miss the way the SF use to be and realized during a visit in '02 it would never be the same for me - my friends had lost interest in going, all the familiar faces I use to know were gone, and I myself was done doing the things I use to do when I visited the club..

All good things must come to AN END. It is the cycle of existance, there is no sense fighting it. Where one thing dies, another one thing begins! Remember and value the good times while there are here, they will not always be!

Peace,

HB

Originally posted by H-BomB

I too was a SF head and Roxy fan from '98-01. I remember the vibe and the beautiful woman. I remember dressing up, and I even remember Paris denying people entrance! I know with absolute certainty that SF owners/manangement made the decision to start letting anyone and everyone in, not Paris. They got greedy and because of that greed, they started letting the undesirables, attracting a new crowd, pushing away the crowd they had catered to during their best years. This is one of the major reasons, amongst others such as the change of music, drugs, and even more so the CHANGING OF TIMES, which has lead to SF's demise.

I miss the way the SF use to be and realized during a visit in '02 it would never be the same for me - my friends had lost interest in going, all the familiar faces I use to know were gone, and I myself was done doing the things I use to do when I visited the club..

All good things must come to AN END. It is the cycle of existance, there is no sense fighting it. Where one thing dies, another one thing begins! Remember and value the good times while there are here, they will not always be!

Peace,

HB

I agree with most of what Montebrogan and Starlanyc had to say as well as H-bomb about the current state of the NYC nightlife. I know this topic is kind of old, but it needs to be talked about so that people will get the hint to change their ways. It may sink in it may not, but the point is to get people to take notice. I'm kind of disappointed that I never went to the Roxy Fri nights. I was living in Bastan at the time. I guess the hottest parties were at the Roxy on Fri nights during that stretch? I one time drove by it on my way to the city many summers ago, and saw many hot girls coming out of the club, but I had arrived too late and the line was closed when I arrived. So I went to SF that same night instead and it was ok. Much younger crowd than sats nights but not as good as Sat nights.

I learned about SF Sats many summer agos while venturing into the city in 98 with a bunch of friends. We had gone initially to a rave at the Roseland Ballroom to see Frankie Bones. It was scary because there were kids much younger than I was getting messed up using G and K and maybe CM too. You can tell they were young by looking at their faces. Anyways the Rave was shut down by Giuliani and we had to go elsewhere. I guess there were too many young kids trying to get in waiting in the streets causing a scene outside. We had heard about SF but were waiting to all decide on where to go next. Not too many people knew about SF at the time at least we didn't. So we took a chance and went. The SF line was long and Paris was in charge at the door. She was very selective on who she let in. When I entered the club with my friends I knew it was very different from many of the clubs I had been to. The music and vibe became one. There was a real positive energy in that club. Debra Cox happened to be performing her classic club anthem "Nobody's supposed to be here" (probably not the right name for this song) and she fed off the crowd. The crowd was really good looking and I'd say the drug use was moderate. I was thinking at the time that this club had to be "NYC's best kept secret" and that I'd had to return again and again.

As time went on I went to many of it's theme parties from 98-01. They were all pretty damn good for the most part. I noticed the drug use become more & more outrageous and the crowd slowly start to change. Some people I had met had stopped going but some still went so I kept going. At the start of 2002 and for much of that entire year a much younger crowd became the regular crowd. SF had become mainstream. Most of the people I knew had lost interest in going and the drug use became very blatant. The new crowd just didn't really give a damn, but it wasn't entirely their fault because they didn't let themselves in the club. I guess the management thought the old crowd that had made SF pretty successful in it's early years could be replaced by anyone. Big mistake!! :nono: What had been such a successful Sat night party was slowly beginning to deteriorate. Again using a "selective" approach to allow patrons in the club was one of it's pedigrees of success. The SF that we once knew was NO more. SF was heading in a downward spiral and there was nothing that anyone could do to stop that. The demise of SF was near. Slowly after there were many raids at SF and even JP's days there were numbered. The last time I went to SF was at last year's Halloween party. I thought it was good, but even then it wasn't the same it had been year's prior.

I know SF wasn't the greatest club ever in NYC, but it was pretty damn close to being. I know Club54, Limelight, Palladium, & maybe the Tunnel give it some competition for that title. SF had a great run but unfortunately the greed of the mgmt and ownership as well as the extreme carelessness & irresponsibility of the many club kids who ventured in there caused it's demise. I think people need to handle their drugs and if they can't do it then DON'T go out to the clubs. Stay home or go to a club and act responsibly. Many of these great clubs closed partially because of the excessive drug use that was going on there. JP many times warned people over the mic, but they didn't want to listen. Maybe they didn't take JP seriously? He was a crackhead too you know. All good things come to an end. All we have now to hold onto are some of the many memories from those years. These new clubs that have opened up have not really replaced SF or greatly improved the NYC nightlife. Maybe Black? Go out and enjoy the nightlife that NYC has to offer but don't abuse it by acting irresponsibly. For there is a price to pay in doing so, clubs for many will cease to exist and more importantly you may cease to exist. People handle your business!! SF, RIP. :(

what an excellent reply! its a pleasure to know that i was at sf during the same time period as you. you described it perfectly...

at least we'll have the memories...

The feeling is mutual. I'm sure I probably bumped into you or something because a lot of people from this board went to SF on a regular basis. There were times I even went to SF driving down from Bastan w/ some friends. Exactly! :eek: So what was your favorite SF memory? What theme party did you like the most at SF? Have you been to Black yet? I need to know how it's like b4 I go to check it out. Can someone give me a review of Black? Same crowd from SF? :confused: Same numbers every weekend?

im going to black this sat for the first time, only cause its free if you print out that invite. I have heard that the numbers are way below, last wknd only pulling in about 300, that may be why they are doing this cp appreciation nite there, to build up interest...

i feel as if i watched sf deteriorate and i almost wish i hadn't. i kind of wish i had left it when it was still good so it could remain with that impression in my mind. but ive seen it at its peak and ive seen it at its best, so i choose to only look back on the good times. when jp was playing truly amazing! not just repetitive beats and 30 minute songs over and over...

lets see... if you are from boston, did you know shawn mass? or did you ever know rayray? do you remember sf before they built the catwalk all around and moved the dj booth, there used to just be that little lounge that hung over the dancefloor? it was usually roped off or there was someone there to regulate who gets in? if you remember that or know any of the people i spoke of PM me! :)

im going to black this sat for the first time, only cause its free if you print out that invite. I have heard that the numbers are way below, last wknd only pulling in about 300, that may be why they are doing this cp appreciation nite there, to build up interest...

i feel as if i watched sf deteriorate and i almost wish i hadn't. i kind of wish i had left it when it was still good so it could remain with that impression in my mind. but ive seen it at its peak and ive seen it at its best, so i choose to only look back on the good times. when jp was playing truly amazing! not just repetitive beats and 30 minute songs over and over...

lets see... if you are from boston, did you know shawn mass? or did you ever know rayray? do you remember sf before they built the catwalk all around and moved the dj booth, there used to just be that little lounge that hung over the dancefloor? it was usually roped off or there was someone there to regulate who gets in? if you remember that or know any of the people i spoke of PM me! :)

I didn't think Black would be doing this poorly, specially when JP is playing there but maybe people hoped that JP would get a residency elsewhere. Maybe people don't like the fact that Black is Exit? Where are all of JP's followers now? Did they become followers of another DJ or start going to a different club? Maybe they grew out of the scene? Or got married? All the old SF heads should be at Black. I would of gone out tonight, but had no one to go out with. I have friends who live in the city, but I don't think they all would be interested in going to Black. They are like "been there done that." My friends from around here have to work tomorrow. I don't live in the city either. It's good thing they are trying to hype this party up, because the people of NYC seem to have forgotten about Black. 300 heads????

I first went to factory in 98 and I don't remember if he played 30 min songs over and over back then? When was JP in his prime? 96,97, or 98? Many SF heads told me that JP was so much better back in the day. When is back in the day? I too watched SF crumble right b4 my very eyes, but I did enjoy factory in it's prime I think and I guess that's how you should remember SF. For the good times as well when it peaked as a club on Sats. I'm not from Bastan, but I lived a good time there. I got to know many people in the nightlife industry. Are those the only people you know from Bastan? Because don't know those two. Did you ever here of 6one7 productions (Frankie, Ace,Sal) or Bruno Cesar? These kids all work in the Bastan nightlife industry and went to SF many times. They worked on the Lansdowne St area in Bastan as did I. I do remember SF when JP was in the old booth and when they regulated the VIP area above the dancefloor. Was this area where you looked down onto the dancefloor or right above the dancefloor? Those were good times.:D Anyways have fun tonight and give me a review on Black (crowd, renovations,etc.). I'm sure you will be dancing your butt off. I hope they let you in 4free because if not I'm sure I'll hear about it. :laugh: Cya!!

i personally think sf and jp were in there prime from 97-99, ater that it just started going downhill, the 'good looking' exclusive crowd left when jp's music started to change (for the worse) and the club had to start letting in just anyone, which brought in a much younger, less dressed up crowd... and you know the rest from there....

in terms of you asking where jp's followers are now, i think alot of the old school sf heads, like myself, all have grown up and dont really go out anymore, and if they did, they probably certainly wouldnt go hear jp, since his music now has changed greatly since the times of 97-99... and the crowd is drastically different with alot more drug activity.

as far as why nyc isnt filling up black every sat, that is simple: the feds are everywhere, from what ive heard there are more cops there then customers, and since the majority of jp's crowd prefer to do drugs, well, they just cant go if its under that much scrutiny. who wants to risk getting arrested? so, the numbers are little because since you cant do drugs there, there arent many sober people to fill it up... thats the bad part about attracting a mostly drug oriented following...

I have to agree with the original post. I go further back in the club scene. I'm from the early 90's and pretty much have stop clubbing about 2 years ago. Today there are nothing but a bunch of ugly crack head teenagers. Oh and did I mention some clubs even have 30-40 dollar cover charges. Thats fucking rediculous...

i personally think sf and jp were in there prime from 97-99, ater that it just started going downhill, the 'good looking' exclusive crowd left when jp's music started to change (for the worse) and the club had to start letting in just anyone, which brought in a much younger, less dressed up crowd... and you know the rest from there....

in terms of you asking where jp's followers are now, i think alot of the old school sf heads, like myself, all have grown up and dont really go out anymore, and if they did, they probably certainly wouldnt go hear jp, since his music now has changed greatly since the times of 97-99... and the crowd is drastically different with alot more drug activity.

as far as why nyc isnt filling up black every sat, that is simple: the feds are everywhere, from what ive heard there are more cops there then customers, and since the majority of jp's crowd prefer to do drugs, well, they just cant go if its under that much scrutiny. who wants to risk getting arrested? so, the numbers are little because since you cant do drugs there, there arent many sober people to fill it up... thats the bad part about attracting a mostly drug oriented following...

Spoken like a true woman!! ;) A lot of what you said is true. I think your right when it comes to the time period of when SF was in it's prime. When exactly did SF open to be exact w/JP as resident? Just out of curiosity because I know JR used to be the resident there b4 JP. Right?

As for the old SF heads like myself too, I guess most of the people either grew out of the scene or most definitely changed venues. Perhaps many now want to be in the "sophisticated" and "upscale" crowd and go to lounges instead. Maybe they go to the newer clubs or maybe they just stopped going out period, like you said.

The old SF crowd and Black's new regulars just would not mix. I like hearing JP mix even though he's not what he was years ago, but his new following is the problem. They are a bunch of young and careless group of degenerates. They can't party w/o being in a k-hole somewhere or passed out on a speaker or couch. They don't get the word "moderately" only "excessive". The Feds & cops are cracking down on drug use big time. Whether you're going to use drugs for the 1st time or have been selling drugs for years they are out there to get you!! :2guns: You would think people would change their ways after SF closed down, but it only made them go to other venues to continue their drug habits. Will the club scene survive if people keep doing this? Who knows? Do you really need to be totally "messed up" and have "no control" to have fun? Don't think so, but most people keep doing it. It's true, Black's numbers are down because people want to continue there excessive drug use w/o no one interfering or controlling them and that's not going to happen this time around.

Another reason I noticed is that SF had more intimate areas than Black does. Black is a big space and people will catch you in the open if you use or sell drugs. At SF there were more places to use or sell drugs discretly. It was harder to catch someone there.

So how was Black last night? When you can please review the night!! Cya

OMG....pleaaaseee.....

This is directed at noone's reply in particular...but get the FUCK over it. Times change....music changes...clubs change. I used to club back in the day...where yes...people got dressed up and K,G and E weren't served around on silver platters to everyone...(o.k...slight exaggeration) but you guys get the hint.

I totally get what you are saying...and believe me...I've had many of those talks with my friends....where we all kind of just sit around and shake our heads and say "its just not what it used to be"....but we also accept that times change and the nightlife industry goes through phases. Really...think back to the days of Studio 54 ----- drugs drugs drugs....afterwards...things calmed down a bit for a little while....then the old Limelight (some of you would know now as AVALON) drugs drugs drugs....they closed it down.... it was quite for a bit.... then Sound Factory.....oh yes...and forgot to mention Exit in there before...but I still can't figure out if it was drugs that ruined that place or Vasquez. (sorry to any Vasquez fans out there)

Really though, I think you made some valid points however, it needs to be understood that that is part of the NYC scene....so the truth about THE STATE OF NYC NIGHTLIFE...is that its a rollercoaster.

I personally dont do drugs...anymore.... because it was a choice I made for myself...I still go out...do the afterhours scene and party for 12 hours straight....believe it or not...no drugs, but I dont sit there and judge others that need it. Yes its annoying when a club gets shutdown because of the excess drug abuse, or people die like at opening night at Black...etc etc...but been there seen it before. Its not new....its just a cycle. And yes, I agree that JP has a "certain" following....an almost cult like following if you ask me...and I'm not his biggest fan - I've had some great nights with him and some horrible nights....you can't place the blame of what someone chooses to do on the DJ- he is not shoving the bumps of TINA up people's noses...he's to busy doing that to himself. And placing the blame on "his type" of music....is just ridiculous. That is what the AMERICAN GOVERNMENT'S ANTI-DRUG CAMPAIGN does....blames it on house music.

In the past...I've clubbed....done my shit responsibly and had a great time.

Now I go....don't do drugs and still have a great time.

I dont care what people are doing, as long as everyone has a great time. Ultimately...if it bothers people so much...and you think NYC is becoming such a bad place to party and boo-hoo its so sad.... blah blah blah.... you shouldn't go major house mega clubs. Stay home....go to a lounge...i dunno. But accept the fact...that shit goes down...and that things change....and then go back again.... its part of the scene. Live with it.