Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Shin Splints

Guest jpetzolt

Guest jpetzolt

Anyone have any good suggestions on how to get rid of or stop shin splints. I love to run but find myself unable to due to the severe pain that occurs. I've had them so bad in the past that they have actually caused stress fractures. After a long period of rest I've started running again, the first time I was ok did a 3.5mile run took about 35minutes to do it so you can see my pace was not to fast. The second time I ran about a week and a half later doing the same run same speed They acted up again not to badly but I could definatly feel the pain. Now, I dont want to go through the pain of this problem again and definatly dont want to have to take such a long period off from cardio. Any suggestions other than biking? Ive done biking and it just doesnt feel the same for me I dont get the same reults.

Thanks

:blown:

A few suggestions:

1) Do some good stretching before running...like 10 minutes. Position toes vertically into the ground and stretch.

2) Buy specialized running shoes, if you don't already have them.

3) Longer intervals between long runs. This is an absolute necessity for professional long distance runners. Same applies to casual runners doing shorter distances. Just as you don't train any localized muscle group in consecutive days, the same rule applies to running. You're putting stress on the same muscles and ligaments day-after-day...it's bound to lead to injury.

Guest jpetzolt

Yeah thats pretty much what I had thought, I was hoping someone else had the problem and found a way around it. The strecthing doesnt help much at all and as far as shoes I had orthitics made specifically for my foot. Well It looks like the triathalon idea is out, thanks for your input. If anything should pop into mind even supplement wise that may help alleviate the symptoms let me know.

Thanks again

JD

Are you taping them up tight before you run?? I use to run and have to tape them up heavy duty becuase mine would get bad. Also keep them taped up even when your not running - just walking on them can hurt like hell. For now I would not run for a few weeks and try soemthing else.

i had hte same problem in hs (shin splints, stress fracture and eventually tendonitis) i would go to your doctor and ask him/her. I had to get special orthotics made bc the main problem was my flat feet! they were expensive but SOOOOOO worth it. i've had little or no problems with shin splints since

you should also try aqua jogging. thats what i did when i had a stress fracture. its actually great and you get more of a workout bc of the resistance

Originally posted by elitesnautica

Taping for shinsplints?????? How?? Any type of taping in this area would only cause shortage of blood flow, which would not only lead to restriction in running, but, also, possible damage.

Nautica

a couple of my friends got taped up for shin splints too. i think more for arch support. ....