Clubplanet Nightlife Community

1980's NYC scene?

im in cali, and my comp here kinda suycks,

BUT

yea it was very diff, are u writing a paper? or are u just curious?

i can tell u where some of the old places were, and who was there, preaty much, 86-98 after 98, i stopped going out

pm me>

oly

I'm only 25, but my aunt who's now in her late 40's/early 50's used to do the nyc club scene all the time. She used to tell me that she used to go to limelite.(now currently avalon) I think the scene was pretty nuts. I was really curious as to the music they played... was it straight up billy idol and other 80's icons, or was it more "underground".... I'm not sure

Long time since I've been here!!

I always hate this type of question cuz it makes me feel old, which I am, relatively, biologically, but not at heart.

I started clubbing at discos (like stuido 54 at 14 years old with a fake id), then rock clubs, then techno clubs.

The 80's did have a lot of 80's music clubs, but they also had some great hard house and techno clubs too.

The main difference was that it seemed like more fun.

Cheaper (in today's dollars), easier to get in, and wilder. People dressed UP more, not dressed nice necessarily, but wild and crazy. Everone was WACKED and doing their "thing" everywhere.

It was after the Limelight debacle that bought it all crashing down. Cracks downs on overcrowding, fines for people doing things out in the open. Etc.

I feel privileged to have lived through it. And, it is amazing I did survive it. LOL.

P.S. I'm posting a new thread about good clubs in NYC now. If anyone can help, I'd appreciate they give it a read and reply.

azo

hmm, i was a kid....with a curfew....for part of it...but, yeah....it was about 15 bucks to get in....there were lines...they picked u at certain places.........and invites were done on a typewriter and word of mouth.

one of my friends says we knocked off the 2 live Crew dancers on the stage of the Underground, but, I don't remember doing that....I was the calmer of the bunch.

yeah, we also brawled at Emerald city and got that shut down....girls, that one was funnyish.

but, it was coke, pot, and str8 up drinking........

not all that much has changed, except for the spirit of it all.

less performers now....alot less.........hardly any, actually.

the best party of the eighties tho...was mine.......

i was booking agent

door person

bouncer (the one i assigned was busy smokin' pot and drinkin)

and bartender.......

twas a tiring night.....and we did get raided by the police....i threw every 16 year old out the door before the cops reached the 4th floor..........

and the song on repeat for the night was bizMarkee..........

youuuuuuuuuuuuuu got what i neeeeeeeeeed, but, u say i'm jist a friend..................

ahhhh always harrass the dj.

Guest echoes

freestyle was pretty big in the late 80s too.i started clubbin in the early 90's so i cant speak personally about the 80s scene but older friends tell me it was everywhere. then techno blew up and took over.

Ny was Dangerous, and VEry unsafe in the 80's most of what is around today, Were Fucking battle grounds with local gangs, and jsut alot of fucked up people, it was also alot cheaper to live in ny then, so it attracted alot more Slum area's Battery park n such, and the ave's were Fucking scarey, lol

that made the nightlife scene much more Scarey, and exciting.

i started going to places like, The Haunt, and The mudd club, prob in 86, the mudd club was fuckign legendary, but it was a rock type club, that was all about drug's and the epic punk scene that was at FULL Force in 1985-86 in NY,

other rock type palces were tha haunt> that was on bleeker St behind this sub shop, and that was prearty crazy, i saw everyone there, from the Ny dolls to babes in toyalnd

The dance clubs of that time were DEFF Danceteria, and Xenon, Xeon was preaty straight as was danceteria, they were the "Exit's" of that time.... places that were really fun, were Deff the paradis garage.....i onyl got to go to it 3 times before it closed tho, we also use to go to this place in times suare called the "pussy room" i think it later became Club USA, Also Cbgb's on bowerly n bleeker, WAS REALLY FUN, Very small, but we always had a good time there, and the place always was on the cutting edge of diff local bands, it was just a local bar we all hung out on a saturday ngiht at, before we hit the other places...

theres so much more, i just cant even think of it

the mudd club was on White St in Tribeca, building is still standing

we also went to the tunnel alot in 87 as well....

This was a totally diff tunnnel tho, no fuzzy room, no main bar. the enitre length of the building was a HUGE dance floor, all the way from the door to the Bars that stopped u from walking onto the old subway tracks........tunnel was remodled in 91? and thats the tunnel u guys no, with walls up, and seperate rooms,

LImelight was NOT cool in 1986, lol i think it opened it 86, i was at the opening, they had tomb stones lined up on the dance floor, and the music was very dark....after a month or so, of the Hype dying down, no one really went, it became a lace for tourist's, it only became cool again once dico2000 started up in the early 90's> i was a BIG part of that scene as well

something else>

alot of people think that limelight was the First "church building used as a night club, in fact it was the third time a church was a disco in NY>

the first church disco, was called the sanctuary> 1976-1981 i think? i was a kid then tho, never went, the second church club was "the pit" on 11th Ave. the church was burnt down in 1989, but we went there alot, it was a punk type place, and was only open for 6 months, beofre somone torched it.

i no my spelling is horrible> but theres some history for ya, lol

oly

odeon, was a lounge in brooklyn

palladium wasent a 80's spot more of a early 90's spot....

octagon was also a very well known after hours in the 90's

USA was also a early 90's club, deff not the 80's

the 80's were Studo 54, Nells, Xeon,DancEteria, The space Ship,

The funhouse, PRivate Eyes, Crisco Disco, < kinda a late 70's early 80's space> later became the funhouse...

ummm, Dynasty, Trex, and the big gay club of the 80's was prob the loft, and Meat> meat is now SPNY(Splash bar)

oh and infinity> burnt dow as well

I started at 15 or 16 years old @ Studio 54 and Xenon and then Mars and Palladium. The Tunnel Friday nights and Limelight is where I spent the most time that's where/when the club kids originated from and then we went to places like Save the Robots after hours or underground places. Tunnel Fridays was great and always an intense, sweaty, all night long adventure. Club USA was great later on and Thursday nights was the coolest because the crowd had no tourists in partyland who had to wake up tomorrow for work. Stephen Lewis ran the door at Tunnel and later USA and we always cruised right in. Those were great times.

JaySea...some clubbin' resume there...cooolio!

ahhh the gangs didn't bother me, actually....i thinx the guidos were more difficult.

ok, Crystal City was first experience....Saphire, Fraz Joli, Jungle Bros, Paplo Toto, Cover Girls...etc. etc.

wasn't allowed out much....had to sneak....

Heart Throbs (walking through the ghetto in heals and sparkly wear....exciting), tunnel, and a sh*t load of basement parties....that ofcourse I took over the floors in.....dance floor freestylin' was a battle ground....i was only girl hoppin inside the boyz circles....cuz i thought they got lil crazy about sh*t.

uhm, 90's = Mr. Fugees, Deco, The Grand, Paladium, Emeral City....

hmmm, and Pastels in Brooklyn was the sh*t (now called Legacy)

Music changes didn't make much of a difference....long as it had a beat..............my booty shickity shook.............and still.

That's just the way it is................

jaysea

"Ny was Dangerous, and VEry unsafe in the 80's most of what is around today, Were Fucking battle grounds with local gangs, and jsut alot of fucked up people, it was also alot cheaper to live in ny then, so it attracted alot more Slum area's Battery park n such, and the ave's were Fucking scarey, lol "

What do you mean the 80's were dangerous? Gangs and stuff? I never noticed any gangs and about the only thing bothersome were the juice-head guidos who were too lame to get laid so they were always looking for fights if you looked, better, danced better or had hotter women than them.

Dangerous and gangs? don't know what you are talking about :confused:

Originally posted by racerx1225

jaysea

"Ny was Dangerous, and VEry unsafe in the 80's most of what is around today, Were Fucking battle grounds with local gangs, and jsut alot of fucked up people, it was also alot cheaper to live in ny then, so it attracted alot more Slum area's Battery park n such, and the ave's were Fucking scarey, lol "

What do you mean the 80's were dangerous? Gangs and stuff? I never noticed any gangs and about the only thing bothersome were the juice-head guidos who were too lame to get laid so they were always looking for fights if you looked, better, danced better or had hotter women than them.

Dangerous and gangs? don't know what you are talking about :confused:

I think he means the gangs in the streets of NYC not in the clubs

rememeber if you took the subway after 9pm you were nuts

NYC was a bad place in the late 70's and 80's and even early 90's

i totally meant the street's

Growing up in ny u learned

>Never to leave the stup after 6pm.

> the subways were closed for Normal people after 8

> and if u hear a gunshot Ducking makes u look like a tourist

lol, that was ny, circa 1983

Guest matthewnothing

I remember being 16 and sneaking into the ritz after it was changed from studio 54... or going to mars and the building.......

wow i'm fuckign old....

I had friends who used to mace the bouncers at the back door at the ritz and we would all rush in.......not a very nice thing to do.. but hey i was young...

n"""

Danceteria-Logo-sm.jpg

We started a Danceteria yahoo group.

There's almost 90 members. Most of the bartenders and alot of regulars from back in the 80's Danceteria are on that board.

There is a ton of pix from the clubs in the 80's there too. If you want to read funny stories or just reconnect with your club friends from the 80's then check it out cause they are probably members of this group!

Come join and say hello to all the REAL OldSkool club kids.

http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/danceterianyc

Forum for discussion and memory-sharing related to the 1980s NYC nightclub Danceteria. Nightlife archaeology. For many who took part in the Danceteria nightlife, it represents the pinnacle of that lost era's decadence and creativity. Many popular artists performed at Danceteria in the earliest stages of their careers. Here you can find old friends and lost acquaintances, compare diverging life paths, find out "where they are now," and remember what it was like there then.