Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Decent NYC clubs

Hi all,

I wonder if anyone I know from the beginnings are still here. LOL.

Anyway, I have a question.

I want to know if there are any decent NYC clubs left. I just got back from a whirlwind weekend of dancing and clubbing and really miss not having it at my back door. Let me explain what I love about London clubs and then tell me if there's anything in NYC like it.

1. The music is faster with few vocals. 150-180 BPM. (JP comes close.)

2. The clubs are very polysexual, meaning everyone mixes and no one wants to start a fight with you just for looking at them or their date.

3. You don't get strip searched at the door. (I know I probably won't find this anywhere in NYC).

4. Everyone is up for it, feeling the music groove, and Enjoying being in a room full of clubbErs fEEling the same thing, if you know what I mEan. :-)

5. You can do almost anything you want. Anywhere. (I know I probably won't find this anywhere in NYC either).

Anyone know of ANYTHING like that?

DT at arc has been pretty close too, but that's closing soon.

HELP!

I just always look for where the best dj's are gonna be.

whether it be G&D,or Ferry Corsten at Avalon, PVD or ARMin at Roxy, Sasha & Digweed at Crobar.

Music comes first, place second.

Avalon has been great lately... but the thing is summer is coming so all the good dj's get out of the city for it....

I"m looking forward to PVD at Summerstage again!!

Where in London were you going? I'm not sure that the music is all faster and without vocals. That would depend on where you're going.

Turnmills on Fri has amazing lineups and such a cool vibe. Everything else you're saying...I totally agree with.

Totally up for it and avin it large!

Originally posted by clubkidnewyork

Where in London were you going? I'm not sure that the music is all faster and without vocals. That would depend on where you're going.

Turnmills on Fri has amazing lineups and such a cool vibe. Everything else you're saying...I totally agree with.

I found the same thing about London when I lived there.... Turnmills was one of the only clubs that would bring in consistent talent every Friday.... most of the other clubs play UK hard house which is must faster than what you would hear over here.

-Peter

Got there Friday night, but didn't go out. Just hung out and partied with friends and went pub hopping until dawn. Yes, there are places to do that in London despite most closing at 11pm. Saturday dfi much of the same and started to get ready to go out around 2 or 3 am, Sunday morning.

Easter morning I went to a Trade One-off at Turnmills. It opened at 5:30 AM on Easter and went until 2pm. Two of the DJs were Malcolm Duffy (one of my favourites since Tony DeVit died)Gonzalo, Pete Wardman, and Rachel Auburn (a relative newcomer). I forget the others. I was on the floor for 6 straight hours and I was definitely communing with god for most of that. Runner's high? How about dancer's high! :-)

After that they had a shuttle bus to the offical Trade after party at Egg (a new club in King's Cross run by Lawrence Malice who does Trade). They had some brilliant DJs there too, including Rachel Auburn (again). I was at that one from 2:30pm until almost 7:30pm. Nice place too, 3 floors, and an outdoor garden space. When I got home (my friend's flat/apartment in London where I stay in Soho), my feet were reduced to bloody stumps.

It didn't stop me from trying to go out again that night though. I went to Orange at the newly renovated Fridge in Brixton. The music was WAY too slow for me and very overcrowded, but the new place was nice. The most amazing part were these two podium about 6 feet by 6 feet and 7 or 8 feet high that every now and then would blow off 10 foot flumes of FIRE. Can't imagine that happening in NYC! I was blown away. Too bad the music sucked. Stayed there from 1am or so until 7 am anyway, but then I had to go home and get my bags for my 12 noon flight.

Great time overall. :-)

Sounds like you had a brilliant time azo. I can't understand why the UK hard house sound won't catch on over hear in NYC. It's so much fun! Imagine a nice nite out listening to your favoirite music and then an afterhour party that just blows you away with those crazy fast beats and beautiful lights. In Miami this year I got to hear BK and Ed Real at a gig that also featured the likes of Jules, Eddie Halliwell, John "OO" and Anne Savage. Other than that I haven't heard any live UKHH since my trip to London two years ago when I went to Trade. I guess NY just isn't ready for those hard, fast beats.

Sounds like you had a brilliant time azo. I can't understand why the UK hard house sound won't catch on over hear in NYC. It's so much fun! Imagine a nice nite out listening to your favoirite music and then an afterhour party that just blows you away with those crazy fast beats and beautiful lights. In Miami this year I got to hear BK and Ed Real at a gig that also featured the likes of Jules, Eddie Halliwell, John "OO" and Anne Savage. Other than that I haven't heard any live UKHH since my trip to London two years ago when I went to Trade. I guess NY just isn't ready for those hard, fast beats.

Brilliant is not the word! 'Roll' in fantastic and incredible and you get the idea. I ADORE that city.

Trade did a few parties (way) back in the day @ Twilo back when Danny (and then Jr.) was there. They were awesome. 1st one was in the upstairs room (the one turned into coat check) and then downstairs. They also tried one at the end of last June (Gay Pride weekend) on Sunday starting at 12 noon until 8. I went at 2 pm and there were only about 8 people there. NO EXAGERATION. They ended it at 3pm. Luckily, I knew the cashier and got in free. It was a disaster and they will probably never come back soon. :-( I send them emails everynow and then begging anyway. LOL

But, if you can listen to music on your computer, check out this URL and click on the "Click HERE for our FREE Broadband Hi-Fi mp3 Live Broadcast (128K/ADSL/T1)" near the top.

http://hardhouse.aromadome.com/

Be prepared for HARD house!

THAT is what I am fucking talking about!!!!

:D

Originally posted by distort909

if you look for volume you shall find it :)

its in bklyn..... thats all im gonna say

BTW, I found it, but little info more tha an address.

Will definitely keep looking into it.

Thanks a lot for the info.

azo

Originally posted by azo

BTW, I found it, but little info more tha an address.

Will definitely keep looking into it.

Thanks a lot for the info.

azo

just to make it easier for you.

Volume

99 North 13th street & Wythe Street

Brooklyn

its an art and music venue. very chill. have fun.

Originally posted by azo

Brilliant is not the word! 'Roll' in fantastic and incredible and you get the idea. I ADORE that city.

Trade did a few parties (way) back in the day @ Twilo back when Danny (and then Jr.) was there. They were awesome. 1st one was in the upstairs room (the one turned into coat check) and then downstairs. They also tried one at the end of last June (Gay Pride weekend) on Sunday starting at 12 noon until 8. I went at 2 pm and there were only about 8 people there. NO EXAGERATION. They ended it at 3pm. Luckily, I knew the cashier and got in free. It was a disaster and they will probably never come back soon. :-( I send them emails everynow and then begging anyway. LOL

But, if you can listen to music on your computer, check out this URL and click on the "Click HERE for our FREE Broadband Hi-Fi mp3 Live Broadcast (128K/ADSL/T1)" near the top.

http://hardhouse.aromadome.com/

Be prepared for HARD house!

THAT is what I am fucking talking about!!!!

:D

I wondered how that event went last year with Trade coming to NYC. I was leaving town that day and couldn't attend. Guess I would have been the 9th person there! That's too bad it turned out like that.

Thanks for the reminder about aramadome. I found their site two years ago and emailed with Adam for awhile and then just lost touch. The sets I heard today were incredible!

I can't wait to get back to London!!!:)

1. The music is faster with few vocals. 150-180 BPM. (JP comes close.)

2. The clubs are very polysexual, meaning everyone mixes and no one wants to start a fight with you just for looking at them or their date.

3. You don't get strip searched at the door. (I know I probably won't find this anywhere in NYC).

4. Everyone is up for it, feeling the music groove, and Enjoying being in a room full of clubbErs fEEling the same thing, if you know what I mEan. :-)

5. You can do almost anything you want. Anywhere. (I know I probably won't find this anywhere in NYC either).

Arc fits 1, 2, 4 buy not 3, 5. also arc is closing next weekend.

If you go to crobar on a good night, Like for Sasha and Digweed, the it fits 1, and 3.

Both placEs arE appropriatE for an EXciting time but don't rEly on the club as a sourcE for that eXcitement.

Guest matthewnothing

My favorite spots have all closed down...

I miss the small rockin venues with a 20-something crowd looking for some drinks and great music.... Baktun for techno Luxx in Willy'B for Electro...

dammnit! I want my techno....

n"""