Clubplanet Nightlife Community

$128 million spent for London house

xlr8ted

$128 million spent for London house

Report: Indian steel tycoon breaks world record with purchase

Stefan Rousseau / AP

A good deal? This 12-bedroom mansion in London's Kensington Palace Gardens reportedly cost $128 million.

The Associated Press

Updated: 10:58 a.m. ET April 12, 2004LONDON - An Indian steel tycoon reportedly paid $128 million for a mansion in the British capital, breaking the world record for the most expensive house purchase.

The Sunday Times said Lakshmi Mittal, named by Forbes magazine as one of the richest people in the world, bought the 12-bedroom house in London’s Kensington district from Formula One car racing boss Bernie Ecclestone.

Mittal’s spokesperson was unavailable for comment Monday and a call to Ecclestone’s Formula One Management company went unanswered.

The Sunday Times reported that three real estate agencies were involved in the sale. The offices of all three companies were closed for Easter Monday.

Guinness Publishing also could not be contacted for comment on the report. The Sunday Times said the sale of the property near Kensington Palace, the former home of Princess Diana, broke the record for the world’s most expensive house sale. It said the previous record was set in Hong Kong in 1997 when a property sold for $101.6 million.

Mittal, 53, owns the LNM Group, one of the world’s biggest steelmaking companies, and is based in Britain. In February, Forbes magazine ranked him 62nd in its list of the globe’s richest billionaires with a fortune worth $6.2 billion.

The Sunday Times reported that Mittal exchanged contracts with Ecclestone for the house earlier this month. It said the property has garage space for 20 cars, Turkish baths, a ballroom, an oak-paneled picture gallery and an ornate basement pool

:eek: :eek:

...you could prob fit a good size of the untouchables roaming the streets of Mumbai in the basement alone...i wonder if Mr. Mittal is even interested in helping mother India....house sounds great though - nothing says filthy rich than having an actual ballroom in your house...

...i think it's biryani but oh boy could i go for some garlic nan...lol...but i know you're right - that's the problem with that level of wealth, you are on another planet - i've seen it first hand and it is quite scary...sometimes comical, in that tragic sense...

Originally posted by xlr8ted

India is one messed up Country right now, Bombay is in need of some major help... The organized crime in that country is running the movie industry over there, scary shit.

and all the movies suck now too.. b/c they just rip off american movies...

now you got me craving some chicken biryani... damnit! :mad:

I'm sorry if i dont find humor in this.... :( India is a struggling nation with a population past the billion mark with a huge chunk(the size of most countries) living in poverty..and instead of helping his struggling brethren, he spends that much on a friggin house :mad: muthafucka, i hope you lose all that moolah on the stock market.

Fuck it... dont mind me, i'm just annoyed for the foolhardy spending of the rich :mad:

P.S that much $$ coulda fed hundred of thousands of starving peeps for a year in India !!!!

Then after the year he would not have any money and no kick ass house. Bill gates owns a fuckin island and I see starving people everyday. That is the way the world is.

I read somewhere that the most inteligent people in india go to the colleges here so that when they graduate they can go back and help India. But instead they stay here. That could be complete shit talk and it is not my opinion just something I read/heard.

Originally posted by jtk4

I read somewhere that the most inteligent people in india go to the colleges here so that when they graduate they can go back and help India. But instead they stay here. That could be complete shit talk and it is not my opinion just something I read/heard.

Its not shit talk..its the damn truth,...and its not just India, its a whole multitude of foreigners that do that... :( The U.S has become a complete drain of international brain pool for people looking for a better life. And all this time i thought job outsourcing was a detriment to the fair balance in U.S economy..:(

Fuk it... everyone for himself and God for us all :D

Originally posted by funkyfreshdc

he doesn't have any more of an obligation to help than anyone else.

if he's earned the lifestyle let him enjoy it.

very true.. i cant argue that..believe me, i'm a big believer of capitalism, but him being from an improverished nation, chances are he derived alot of support and community help to achieve success ... to turn his back on his support system to better/satisfy his humongous ego is just wrong.!! There is no excuse for abandoning his mentors to make a mark on this planet...life is short.. make it count for you n everyone else that loves and endears you :(

Just my $0.02

Originally posted by funkyfreshdc

he doesn't have any more of an obligation to help than anyone else.

if he's earned the lifestyle let him enjoy it.

basically.. i don't see why the guys getting mad b/c he spent his money on a house and not on indias ppl.. when did it become his job to save india? he's living for himself...

and i always thought lakshmi was a girls name... :confused:

It would be the noble thing to do, but who knows what he came from? He may have inherited the company, or he could have worked his way up... either way, he worked for whats his, its his choice on what he does w/ his money... Yes India is in a sad state right now, and there are very few that try to change whats wrong, so since he made money, its his burden? Bombay is overridden w/ gangsters, organized crime and other illegal shit, its the only way to make money over there at this point, unless you go to college(even then its damn near impossible) or ingeherit money..

Like I said before, the movie industry over in "Bollywood" is the only lucrative means of money making, but organized crime has such a hold on all profits...They and even shoot and sometimes kill moviestars family members, just to get the point across, that they mean busniess...

Originally posted by xlr8ted

Bombay is overridden w/ gangsters, organized crime and other illegal shit, its the only way to make money over there at this point, unless you go to college(even then its damn near impossible) or ingeherit money..

why is it damn near impossible to go to college in bombay?

i see, interesting...

but back to the dude who was talking about him and sharing the wealth with india.. the guy's from the uk... sure he's of indian descent.. but you don't even know if he's still got family there or not.. his business is based outta the uk... not india..