Clubplanet Nightlife Community

WHAT ARE THE MAJOR REASONS THE CLUB SCENE HAS CHANGED DRASTICLY OVER THE PAST.......

COUPLE OF YEARS EVEN FROM BACK IN 96 AND 97 THINGS HAVE DRASTICLY CHANGED AND IF YOU WERENT IN THE CLUB SCENE BACK THEN YOU WILL NEVER UNDERSTAND. I THINK THE CLUB SCENE WAS ALOT MORE UNDERGROUND BACK THEN AND NOW IT HAS EVOLVED INTO THE MAINSTREAM COOL AND HIP THING TO DO. LIKE ALL THE FASHION DESIGNERS AND INTERNET COMPANIES AND OTHER CORPORATIONS ARE THROWING PARTIES AT CLUBS. I THINK THE ECONOMY PLAYED A MAJOR PART IN THIS. POST YOUR OPIONS!

The music changed the world

namely, the chemical brothers, daft punk, and fatboy slim.

Artists like this made house music and electronica accessible to the mainstream. Add to this the growing staleness of rock and roll with the everything coming out sounding like Pearl Jam and indy rock be way too indy for the pop minded ear.

Given a little taste, a greater mass of people now had a bug in their ear (and a bounce in their step). It put the beats on their car stereos and brought them out to the clubs. The underground finally came up for air.

That's how it happened. Ask anyone who was paying attention.

------------------

cold spoonin' on this lovely autumn day

spoonyd.iwarp.com

cwm1.gif I think everone is so busy trying to look good and get high they forgot how to party. I started going out on a weekly bases around 92 by 97-98 i got tired of the club scene it was getting old. Know i only go when i really need to get out or if it's someone i want to see

cwm1.gif

Originally posted by spoonyd:

The music changed the world

namely, the chemical brothers, daft punk, and fatboy slim.

Artists like this made house music and electronica accessible to the mainstream. Add to this the growing staleness of rock and roll with the everything coming out sounding like Pearl Jam and indy rock be way too indy for the pop minded ear.

Given a little taste, a greater mass of people now had a bug in their ear (and a bounce in their step). It put the beats on their car stereos and brought them out to the clubs. The underground finally came up for air.

That's how it happened. Ask anyone who was paying attention.

I TOTALY DISAGREE THE CHEMICAL BROTHERS AND DAFT PUNK DID NOT HAVE ANY EFFECT ON THE CLUBS BECAUSE NYC CLUBS PLAYED HARDHOUSE MUSIC AND TECHNO UNDERGROUND STUFF NOT THAT ELECTRONICA CRAP MAYBE IN EUROPE BUT NOT HERE IN NYC!

i know this is not a drug topic, but i remember when raves and clubs were all about a chill atmosphere. i used to love going to a party and poppin a good e (not like most that are out today) takin out my glowsticks, and having tons of fun, and whoever you talked to was mad cool, not tryin to outdo you or hit on you, they just wanted to talk too. and now you have to worry about mad security and more undercover.... what happened to the love? its too bad really.

Please re-read and try to understand.

The mainstreaming of electronic music turned a huge audience away from rock'n'roll and onto beats. It's about completely changing their listening patterns. Start with Daft Punk and the evolution to Danny Taneglia isn't hard to imagine. It was about filling a void in pop culture that existed at the time. It opened the door and got people way more people interested in it, and willing to search it out.

Let's also not forget the aging first wave of ravers who needed a place to go once they could start drinking legally.

------------------

spoonyd.iwarp.com

Originally posted by MarioNY:

I think The Prodigy should be added to that list...

agreed, the list was getting long so I dropped them.

I'd say the Prodigy influenced all three of those acts. XL records was one of those labels that helped change the face of music as we know it.

------------------

spoonyd.iwarp.com

I have Bla bla bla, it's a nice bumpy little house track, but I haven't yet figured out how to get it into a set. It's got almost too much character to blend well, but isn't enough of a track to stand on it's own. Yet I like it a lot so there it sits in my record bin.

why do you ask?

------------------

spoonyd.iwarp.com

why do you ask?

I just had a feeling you might know some of the lesser known DJ's outside the US. I think there are a lot of great songs that unfortunatly never make it popular here. I've heard a fairly good remix of ATB's Summer and BLA BLA BLA...was an interesting combo. I got it and others on MP3 if you're interested...

Not to ruffle any feathers or anything, but I'm sick of hearing about "oh, the club/rave scene was better 2 or 5 or 15 years ago". Or Tunnel sucks now, what happened...blah blah blah. Things change. That's part of life. And when people bitch about going to parties and seeing kids...it just wasn't as obvious when YOU were 17 and THEY were 15.

Plus, it's ONLY NIGHTLIFE...hopefully not someone's whole life.

I've been going to parties since 95 but who really cares? It's fun, and we each take what we want from it drug free or otherwise. But someday we'll all move on.

my .02

nic212

------------------

HOUSE MUSIC ALL NIGHT LONG

Please re-read and try to understand.

The mainstreaming of electronic music turned a huge audience away from rock'n'roll and onto beats. It's about completely changing their listening patterns. Start with Daft Punk and the evolution to Danny Taneglia isn't hard to imagine. It was about filling a void in pop culture that existed at the time. It opened the door and got people way more people interested in it, and willing to search it out.

Let's also not forget the aging first wave of ravers who needed a place to go once they could start drinking legally.

i do understand, i understand that your stating it as a music issue. and i agree, its all gotton to commercial.thats why i said that i know this isnt a drug topic. im just posting my opinion. cwm12.gif

its sucks now due to the increased greed of owners/head promoters and the lack of respect in the industry....

also because everyone and their mother wants to be a dj

and napster! I hate napster! It makes it possible for everyone to get their hands on things that you used to have to go to clubs to hear certain djs spin... and it's forcing more and more producers to get "real jobs" cause they sure aint making $$ selling records anymore.....

just my opinion...

------------------

This week's gigs:

Friday Oct 27th - Undecided

Saturday Oct 28th - Hofstra USA, Long Island

Saturday Oct 28th - 92.7 & 98.5 FM (3-5am)

www.djrussreign.com

NY METS 2000 NL CHAMPS!

Originally posted by russ reign:

its sucks now due to the increased greed of owners/head promoters and the lack of respect in the industry....

also because everyone and their mother wants to be a dj

and napster! I hate napster! It makes it possible for everyone to get their hands on things that you used to have to go to clubs to hear certain djs spin... and it's forcing more and more producers to get "real jobs" cause they sure aint making $$ selling records anymore.....

just my opinion...

Yeh well said Russ... your still making enought to get by though wink.gif

------------------

I want to go out blazing not fade away.

I can resist anything but temptation.

bsb2.GIF

i would assume it is the combination of three principles

the theory of buoyancy. as a particular thing becomes more inflated as its density remains relatively less inflated, it tends to float to the surface where it becomes more and more accessible less mysterious.

laterally i think the middle portion of the social bell curve are coaxed and tend to need/want more structure in their lives than those below and above. as well they prefer to reinforce their perceptions as they would have a tendency to assemble with peers. consequently they flock to places said peers consider to be acceptable or preferential.

the intention of the "underground" was first to provide a place to convene where those not so inclined or accounted for by the prevailing social standards and values can reinforce the worth of their own perceptions of self worth. consequently these "underground" places would be relatively free and unhindered in the expression and fulfillment of ones' own desires and tendencies.

the effect procured of the intermingling of the elements. now no matter how bourgeois one may be, as being human and reserving an individual identity, that person will generally feel the need to express freely, hence the tremendous attraction to a free "underground" environment. but concurrently, as being bourgeois, they bring along those character traits that tend to want to homogenize and structure their environment. this leading to their saturation and in turn overrunnin of just about any environment of interest to them. being it were that the initial value of an "underground scene" was the lack of structure and standards, the influx of genericism and incurring dilution tends to make said scene less pleasing to all. then the superficial novelty is lost and classified as a passing fad, inturn the masses leave and are off to another distraction from their mundane watered-down existence and those that fled "further underground" may tend to reclaim the old relics. kind of like locusts or capitalists.

as a final tangent, the notion of standard norms is quickly evolving into an atmosphere of broader inclusiveness in pace with the tremendous and exponential leaps in interpersonal communication. i beleive we are headed in an increasingly pluralistic society, good or bad? i couldnt say.

have actually gotten this far? geez, get a life will ya har har har

------------------

[iNSERT CLEVER QUOTE HERE]

as a final tangent, the notion of standard norms is quickly evolving into an atmosphere of broader inclusiveness in pace with the tremendous and exponential leaps in interpersonal communication. i beleive we are headed in an increasingly pluralistic society...

I feel this message board is embodiment, and hence proof of the truth of this statement.

interesting...

------------------

spoonyd.iwarp.com

OK I am gonna make this reaaalllllly simple. When people saythatthe club scene was better the old skool at least they mean there was less animosity and more love. Drama and Drugs have had a heavy toll on the club scene in NY. Everyone thinks they are badasses and like getting into the God Damn club gives them a right to act like they own the place. Well sorry to break it to you it doesn't entitle you to shit. There should be a Clubbers Bill of Rights:

I. You have the right to venture to a club/bar/lounge if at legal age 18 or 21 and over and not get treated like cattle.

II. You have the right to listen tothe best quality music that said venue has available to them.

III. You have a right not to be harrassed by Drunk Jackasses, or in general to party in a semi drug free if not drug free environment (here come the comments onthat one)

IV. You have a right to a fair price of admission. (BIG ONE)

V. You have a right to be safe from harm the entire night the club is open.

Can't think of anymore at this juncture add as you please..... cwm4.gif

------------------

Failure is not an Option!!

...Its only natural...people like to dance....discos arent a "new fad" and clubs are discos.....Vibes change and shift but the people with the love of the music will stick around...thats what its all about anyways isnt it? music and dancing? just my humble opinion...

peace in the middle east.

------------------

I lost artax and falcor in CPI's last year...havent seen em since.

I was at World last Saturday and I ran into a bunch of people I went to high school with who I haven't seen in years be/c when I started clubbing they were still all a bunch of jocks. Now that they "discovered" e they think that they own every club and know everything. That pisses me off.