Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Milk

rackham

Yes, he's back.

I do not disagree with the fact that Ca, Mg and phosphorus help in body metabolism and they are essential for any diet. But, this study only compared dairy calcium to calcium supplements.

I still believe there are much better sources, such as green leafy veggies, which have these ions plus many many more benefits.

Nautica

Originally posted by elitesnautica

I just completed the MCAT this weekend, so I have done nothing at all except for studying and working.

It's to see you back again, though.

I did see an article that supported you opinion the other day, If I remember where it was, I will post it, just for you.

Nautica

so you goin to med school???

do you have a science bbackground?? How was the MCAT?? SHould I take a Kaplan course?? Curious..thanks

Originally posted by fkornre

tooooo much calcium and guess what??? there will be stones....

Only if you have hypercalciuria, which is an INHERITED condition.

http://kidney.niddk.nih.gov/kudiseases/pubs/stonesadults/index.htm#what

Most people can drink milk daily with absolutely no problem whatsoever. I used to drink a half gallon of milk a day and didn't pass a single stone.

And calcium is good for you... unless you have hypercalciuria. That's why the FDA specifies an RDA for calcium.

Originally posted by rackham

Only if you have hypercalciuria, which is an INHERITED condition.

http://kidney.niddk.nih.gov/kudiseases/pubs/stonesadults/index.htm#what

Most people can drink milk daily with absolutely no problem whatsoever. I used to drink a half gallon of milk a day and didn't pass a single stone.

And calcium is good for you... unless you have hypercalciuria. That's why the FDA specifies an RDA for calcium.

being that 75% kidney stones are calcium stones...

here is a link that talks about calcium stones...

http://hcd2.bupa.co.uk/fact_sheets/html/Kidney_stones.html

being that 75% kidney stones are calcium stones...

here is a link that talks about calcium stones...

http://hcd2.bupa.co.uk/fact_sheets/html/Kidney_stones.html

You're right, I'm not disagreeing with you. I'm just saying that not everybody who consumes excess calcium ends up with stones. You need to be either genetically predisposed (hypercalciuria, which I mentioned before), or have other health factors. The link that you provided lists the following factors:

- a family history of kidney stones,

- being aged between 20 and 40,

- taking certain medicines such as diuretics (water tablets), antacids and thyroid medications,

- having only one kidney,

- eating a diet high in protein but very low in fibre,

- becoming dehydrated by not drinking enough fluids or living or working in a hot place,

- having poor mobility (eg, being confined to bed),

- having an ileostomy, eg, for Crohn’s disease.

So basically, if you're active, get enough fiber and drink plenty of water, you are at very low risk for stones. You should be doing these things anyway -- insufficient fiber and dehydration are linked to MANY health issues.

You're right, I'm not disagreeing with you. I'm just saying that not everybody who consumes excess calcium ends up with stones. You need to be either genetically predisposed (hypercalciuria, which I mentioned before), or have other health factors. The link that you provided lists the following factors:

- a family history of kidney stones,

- being aged between 20 and 40,

- taking certain medicines such as diuretics (water tablets), antacids and thyroid medications,

- having only one kidney,

- eating a diet high in protein but very low in fibre,

- becoming dehydrated by not drinking enough fluids or living or working in a hot place,

- having poor mobility (eg, being confined to bed),

- having an ileostomy, eg, for Crohn’s disease.

So basically, if you're active, get enough fiber and drink plenty of water, you are at very low risk for stones. You should be doing these things anyway -- insufficient fiber and dehydration are linked to MANY health issues.

u are correct sir...i thought in ur previous statement u were saying only ppl with hypercalciuria get calcium stones...

u are correct sir...i thought in ur previous statement u were saying only ppl with hypercalciuria get calcium stones...

Yeah, I was a little quick on the draw there. From the link I provided, hypercalciuria accounts for about half of the cases. Stones can also be caused by a number of other health conditions, inherited or otherwise.

The bottom line is, if you're an otherwise healthy person (active, eat healthy, not taking diuretics, etc), you're not likely to get stones. So you should feel free to drink milk. :)

Yeah, I was a little quick on the draw there. From the link I provided, hypercalciuria accounts for about half of the cases. Stones can also be caused by a number of other health conditions, inherited or otherwise.

The bottom line is, if you're an otherwise healthy person (active, eat healthy, not taking diuretics, etc), you're not likely to get stones. So you should feel free to drink milk. :)

now think about it...how many ppl fit into the "healthy" lifestyle???

now think about it...how many ppl fit into the "healthy" lifestyle???

I would hope that anybody drinking milk for its protein and/or weight loss benefits would also be taking stock of the rest of their lifestyle.

Maybe that's too much to ask though. :(

I would hope that anybody drinking milk for its protein and/or weight loss benefits would also be taking stock of the rest of their lifestyle.

Maybe that's too much to ask though. :(

lol...i work in what is supposed to be a healthy place...we are a philanthropy dedicated to healthcare and most ppl are not in anyway healthy...and some are milk drinkers and 2 have stones...

lol...i work in what is supposed to be a healthy place...we are a philanthropy dedicated to healthcare and most ppl are not in anyway healthy...and some are milk drinkers and 2 have stones...

Of course, being healthy and having good healthcare are completely different things.

If a person's healthy, they don't need healthcare as much (I haven't had a cold in about 2 years now).

If a person has good healthcare, they can still be unhealthy. It just means that they don't have to pay as much for all those doctor's visits... and physical therapy when their body starts aching... and antibiotics when their smoking gives them chronic bronchitis... and treatments for kidney stones... etc etc etc.

I'm so glad I'm healthy. :)

Of course, being healthy and having good healthcare are completely different things.

If a person's healthy, they don't need healthcare as much (I haven't had a cold in about 2 years now).

If a person has good healthcare, they can still be unhealthy. It just means that they don't have to pay as much for all those doctor's visits... and physical therapy when their body starts aching... and antibiotics when their smoking gives them chronic bronchitis... and treatments for kidney stones... etc etc etc.

I'm so glad I'm healthy. :)

very tru...but i am saying we are a group that promotes health and healthcare....we teach ppl on a daily basis about their how their decisions can change their lives...we even have healthy eating thru our dining room and a gym...but they are all mostly fat...lol

here is where i work... www.rwjf.org