Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Jimmy Kimmel pulled from the air due to smart remark!!!

digitalphoenix

AMERICA.......you're going TOO FAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :no:

Kimmel: No Laugh Riot

by Sarah Hall

Jun 10, 2004, 5:05 PM PT

kimmel.050602.jpg

Apparently, Jimmy Kimmel's recent accidental Advil overdose affected his better judgment.

The funnyman's nightly chatfest, Jimmy Kimmel Live, was pulled from it usual ABC time slot Wednesday night after Kimmel made an inflammatory remark about the city of Detroit.

Kimmel was gabbing with ABC sportscaster Mike Tirico in an effort to plug his show during halftime of Tuesday's NBA Finals showdown between the Detroit Pistons and his home team, the Los Angeles Lakers.

"They're going to burn the city of Detroit down if the Pistons win, and it's not worth it," Kimmel cracked to Tirico.

Tirico, a Michigan native, immediately told Kimmel to watch his wisecracking mouth, but the damage was done.

After she learned that Kimmel's Wednesday night show contained more jabs at the Motor City, Grace Gilchrist, manager of Detroit's ABC affiliate WXYZ, promptly yanked Kimmel's show from the station. The Alphabet net followed suit at affiliates nationwide.

Kimmel issued an irreverent apology Wednesday that did little to raise his stock in the eyes of Motown residents.

"What I said about Pistons fans during halftime was a joke, nothing more. If I offended anyone I'm sorry," he said. "Clearly, over the past 10 years, we in L.A. have taken a commanding lead in post-game riots. If the Lakers win, I plan to overturn my own car."

Unfortunately for Kimmel, his attempt at humor struck a sour note with channel WXYZ's news director, Andrea Parqueto-Taylor, who said she felt it was unlikely that Kimmel's show would return to the affiliate's airwaves.

"He tried to turn it into another bad joke," she told USA Today.

Kimmel issued a second, soberly worded apology Thursday through ABC publicity manager Jennifer De La Rosa.

"When you're 2,000 miles away from a city you've never lived in, it's hard to understand the sadness people felt from something that happened in their town--even if it happened many years ago," Kimmel said.

"It was never my intent to cause anyone pain. I was trying to make a joke and I'm sorry it resulted in anything other than laughter."

Kimmel's second attempt at admitting fault went over better with the Detroit peeps and his show was reinstated Thursday, though he's still not popular, according to ABC's message boards.

"Dear unfunny, ugly, hairy, slow-witted, no talent, cousin-banging jerk," one choice missive began. "Sir, would you please quit your job as talentless jerk with a national show to give [us] the opportunity to [watch] something more entertaining...such as a test pattern or an infomercial."

Fan favorite or no, Kimmel was due to return to the small screen after Thursday night's Game Three hoops match--on the condition that he leave all Detroit-bashing out of his shtick.

i cant stand this p.c. country at times....this is the country and people that all these war bangers want to defend....a country full of over sensitive bitches that cant take a freakin joke!!!!!!!!!! maybe if they wouldnt act like asses everytime theres a major sport happening in that city, then it wouldnt be a joke to make!!!!!!!!!! humans!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!