Clubplanet Nightlife Community

any students here on CP?

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think regardless of what you are studying, the value of empirical experience on how you process info is vitally important. I think as an undergrad you don't need that, but as a grad student you need to consider what you are being taught relative to what you have seen/experienced, and find the truth that works for you somewhere in the middle.

As a guy w/ an MBA, I'm sure you didn't just swallow what they taught you in grad like in undergrad, but, rather, did (subconsciously or not) what I was trying to explain above.

That being said, I regret not pursuing an MBA. Congrats for you bro.

bassboy .. true .. actually i have an MBA which i had after working for few years in the field . and i also have a M.Sc. in computer science .. which i got after few more years ..

initially i was doing Ph.D. but then felt that i need more life experience to be able to honestly stand in front of people and claim knowledge .. that is how i always thought of professors .. so even tho i passed the two major exams (prelim and comprehensive) .. all the course, and started my dissertation .. i realized .. i dont deserve that degree yet without that kina knowledge (fyi .. i had full scholarship .. i know .. u might be calling me stupid now but i dont regret it either) .. sooo .. i decided to drop school ..

but then my professor/supervisor at the time adviced that i get another master since i completed all the reqs for it anyway .. so i did ..

sorry long story .but goes to say that u gotta do what is good for u ... but what also makes sesne from both academic and field perspectives ..

peace

the MASK

why did you choose an MA over an MBA in the first place?

just curious :)

I didn't want to go into business, I've been working in foreign policy and it has been during grad school that I've developed a very serious interest in going into business for myself....

I may get an MBA, but it's so much more $$$. Have you got one?

school is good and all for some people. but why, in most recent years, are people majoring in things that you cant learn at college? ie fashion, music, acting etc etc

i guess everyone seek to polish their talent/passion/skill .. in certain ways .. and some people choose fashion, music, acting ..etc. all of which, as a matter of fact, can be taught in school but will need talent for it to work

thats my 2cents

peace

the MASK

I didn't want to go into business, I've been working in foreign policy and it has been during grad school that I've developed a very serious interest in going into business for myself....

when considering MBA . it used to be the name of school that makes the difference .. like berkly, harvard, stanford, yale, etc. but i dont beleive this is the case anymore

some middle name schools are emerging that still offer good programs and their students seem to be doing well ..

take for example a college like Barauch college . they are becoming more recognized for their business school ..

also .. u can seek an MBA from state colleges that are famous yet much more affordable .. examples include .. Georgia Tech (my school), Virginia Tech, NJIT ..etc.

you might also consider starting with a less famous school .. do really well in teh first couple of semesters . then apply for a famous one towards the end of your study .. get accepted .. transfer .. (you might end up loosing some credits, but it is worth it) .. and graduate from the famous school .. where no one would ever know that you spent the first part of your MBA in a less-known school

in any case .. best of luck

peace

the MASK

ah ok

i dont have an MBA. I finished undergrad (Baruch) last year...I dont want to go back for at least another 2-3 years. I hate school so much. :laugh:

when i do go back, i'm considering applyign to LSE or Columbia (i need to increase my GMAT score though)

ah ok

i dont have an MBA. I finished undergrad (Baruch) last year...I dont want to go back for at least another 2-3 years. I hate school so much. :laugh:

when i do go back, i'm considering applyign to LSE or Columbia (i need to increase my GMAT score though)

baruch! i was gonna go there, with a scholarship. that gay honors college program. (sorry if u were in it) but wound up not going. very good school tho.

lol just dont do accounting!!! well, audit at least. pays well, and a good job, but busy season kills you. good luck! :)

baruch! i was gonna go there, with a scholarship. that gay honors college program. (sorry if u were in it) but wound up not going. very good school tho.

:cuss:

the honors program kicked ass. Free tuition plus about a $2000 stipend a year! Well it was that way when i entered anyway...now new students get iBooks and a semester abroad.

:cuss:

the honors program kicked ass. Free tuition plus about a $2000 stipend a year! Well it was that way when i entered anyway...now new students get iBooks and a semester abroad.

lol yeah thats the one. ibook, and all that stuff. some people were mad stuck up about it, thats what i didn't like. financially, its a dam good deal. and accounting program does kick ass. big 4 lol. e&Y all the way!!! :)

Just graduated from SUNY Buffalo...Communications major, PR concentration...

stuck working a shitty job trying to find a real one :boohoo:

boooo real jobs suck. im loving being a counselor at a day camp! best job eveeer. =) good luck tho, i hope you find what ur looking for

lol and almost forgot...congrats on graduating!

awww .. well listen my friend .. it is often the case that after people graduate they take time to find a real job .. but while doing so .. they do other shitty (if i may use your term) jobs ...

many people do that .. and i did that a lot and even between jobs .. so don't feel bad . just focus and dedicate time to finding that job .. coz looking for a job is a full time job .. so give it all the time it needs ..

best of luck to you

peace

the MASK