Clubplanet Nightlife Community

What happened to NERVE?

sobe2003

There's no money in cool!

So true. A buddy of mine owns a number of nightlife establishments in Manhattan, one of which has been open for more than 10 years. It's a cash cow but doesn't cater to what's in or cool, just what brings in people who want to have a good time. House, hip hop, 70s, 80s whatever - just "show me the money" he said. He told me he never wanted to change the format to try to be the "in" spot or cater to a select segment of music lovers because he knew he's be out of business in two years. At the end of the day, we've all got to make a living.

So true. A buddy of mine owns a number of nightlife establishments in Manhattan, one of which has been open for more than 10 years. It's a cash cow but doesn't cater to what's in or cool, just what brings in people who want to have a good time. House, hip hop, 70s, 80s whatever - just "show me the money" he said. He told me he never wanted to change the format to try to be the "in" spot or cater to a select segment of music lovers because he knew he's be out of business in two years. At the end of the day, we've all got to make a living.

sucks about Nerve

but you gotta pay bills i guess...i remember many times attending Fri and Sat events where a handful of people went.....nice try and props for giving it a shot but SoBe is pretty much done ....

and NY is catering more and more to hip hop mainstream ...now Filter 14 closes, just three months after Arc shut its doors.

I don't think anyone is opposed to them or any other club making money. What I think people are opposed to is them making money by going with the lowest common denominator and having a hip hop party.

In the end though, they have to pay the bills.

I think Nerve is sort of an indicator of what South Beach has become, which is a haven for tourists and other undesireable people. Aside from a few holdouts like Privilege, crobar, and Cafeteria, there's not much to be found in the way of quality entertainment on the beach anymore. It has gone to the fubu crowd.

It is all about downtown in the end.

I don't think anyone is opposed to them or any other club making money. What I think people are opposed to is them making money by going with the lowest common denominator and having a hip hop party.

In the end though, they have to pay the bills.

I think Nerve is sort of an indicator of what South Beach has become, which is a haven for tourists and other undesireable people. Aside from a few holdouts like Privilege, crobar, and Cafeteria, there's not much to be found in the way of quality entertainment on the beach anymore. It has gone to the fubu crowd.

It is all about downtown in the end.

I agree with you Pod, but I also think that one has to embrace change and go with the flow. We, as costumers have the ultimate choice of taking our business elsewhere, I for one could care less about hip-hop and the hip-hop crowd...I have nothing to do at a hip-hop party, fuck, I don't even have a gun... :)

Jokes aside, Nerve is alright, it's a neighborhood club, totally harmless to their competition, if they want to have Mariachi Night, I think they should, without having to answer questions about artistic integrity or any of that kind of bullshit, we live in a capitalist society and each business owner is entitled to do what'll take to cover expenses, pay all their employes and ultimately leave some overhead for play and growth...if it's hip-hop and they rake in the "Fubu Crowd" So-be-it...who cares?

Jokes aside, Nerve is alright, it's a neighborhood club, totally harmless to their competition, if they want to have Mariachi Night, I think they should, without having to answer questions about artistic integrity or any of that kind of bullshit, we live in a capitalist society and each business owner is entitled to do what'll take to cover expenses, pay all their employes and ultimately leave some overhead for play and growth...if it's hip-hop and they rake in the "Fubu Crowd" So-be-it...who cares?

Fu-Bu crowds are scawwwwwy :screwy: