Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Who knows how to play chess well?

I play chess fairly well, although haven't practiced for a long time. My little brother can woop some major ass in chess. He's a small prodigy, was playing chess since he was 5, became a master at the age of 10 (would beat the hell out of me and anyone else that I know). He's 12 now, stopped practicing chess a year ago (chess after all is a very narrow profession), and is preparing for the international math olympiad now (already won the one in my country) smile.gif

------------------

Don't forget to fly...

My dad and I used to play a lot when I was still in grade school...... I don't think I was ever a contender, though. smile.gif

Now backgammon..... there's a fun game! Or Scrabble.... one of my all-time faves!

------------------

-=Vejita=-

"Live through the week. Live for the weekend."

Originally posted by vejita:

My dad and I used to play a lot when I was still in grade school...... I don't think I was ever a contender, though. smile.gif

Now backgammon..... there's a fun game! Or Scrabble.... one of my all-time faves!

Backgammon... YESSS!!!! I love it. Vejita - wanna set up a tournament sometimes?

------------------

Don't forget to fly...

would i be a big f****n dork if i suggested that sometime, a bunch of us should meet up in yahoo chess and play sometime? You can chat too, so it would be like the normal mid-afternoon chat enhanced a bit. Just a thought.

(And if this wasn't a very cool idea, i didn't write this, someone must have used my log-in and written this smile.gif )

------------------

"There was a time before we were born when the soul of each one of us decreed that we be brought into life. We have all made a place for ourselves on this earth, each life precious, each path different. But we all share the same goal of inner peace and it is there within us all to be discovered, and it can only be discovered through love."

would i be a big f****n dork if i suggested that sometime, a bunch of us should meet up in yahoo chess and play sometime? You can chat too, so it would be like the normal mid-afternoon chat enhanced a bit. Just a thought.

(And if this wasn't a very cool idea, i didn't write this, someone must have used my log-in and written this smile.gif )

------------------

"There was a time before we were born when the soul of each one of us decreed that we be brought into life. We have all made a place for ourselves on this earth, each life precious, each path different. But we all share the same goal of inner peace and it is there within us all to be discovered, and it can only be discovered through love."

I'll play anytime Dee..... LOL... just as long as I can see the pieces.

I wanna play Crommy or Dzadza's little brother LOL..... just to see what "really good" looks like.... but I'd play anyone.

------------------

gohanssj2.gifBabymin1.gif

<I'm a Fire-starter>

<Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee!!> <I got the glow, baby!!

Can ya feel it?!? Now back up and give me some dancin' room!!>

--- When the Artful speaks

A few friends and I play a version called 'Speed chess', where the winners gets to go first wink.gif

We have little chess tourneys the morning after big nites out, with a few bottles of Stoli and someone on the decks cwm30.gifcwm29.gifcwm12.gif

------------------

hapfac01.gif coming to party with you - when my H1 comes thru!------------------> boa_boy@yahoo.com

Originally posted by boa_boy:

A few friends and I play a version called 'Speed chess', where the winners gets to go first wink.gif

We have little chess tourneys the morning after big nites out, with a few bottles of Stoli and someone on the decks cwm30.gifcwm29.gifcwm12.gif

Stoli and chess? That absolutely doesn't work for me. I tried it once, it was a complete disaster, couldn't think more than one move ahead. Fortunately my opponent was in the same condition, so I could still win wink.gif

------------------

Don't forget to fly...

Yo, Art, bring your ass down... chess... my favorite pastime that I never get to play... actually I stopped playing when I got wiped clean by an eleven year old... She was literally yawning while she was playing me, and I thought I was good... damn kids...

------------------

Dream a little dream... then go clubbing!

caveman.gif

Dza:

Sounds like your bro had chess bunrout to me. I knew peeps who were masters by 12 and 13. (I was almost there) Seems as if at one point, around high school, many decided there was more to life than chess, chess tourneys, lessons etc and they dropped it.

Remember that movie "the search for bobby fisher" about that kid -- well he was a little younger than me, but I grew up in that scene (I promise, I'm not a big dork anymore smile.gif

I like playing in person so much better than on yahoo.

If we get enough people and feel silly enough, we could play bughouse

(I cant believe we are talking about chess on a clubbing message board! HAH!)

Originally posted by crommy:

Dza:

Sounds like your bro had chess bunrout to me. I knew peeps who were masters by 12 and 13. (I was almost there) Seems as if at one point, around high school, many decided there was more to life than chess, chess tourneys, lessons etc and they dropped it.

Remember that movie "the search for bobby fisher" about that kid -- well he was a little younger than me, but I grew up in that scene (I promise, I'm not a big dork anymore smile.gif

I like playing in person so much better than on yahoo.

If we get enough people and feel silly enough, we could play bughouse

(I cant believe we are talking about chess on a clubbing message board! HAH!)

Searching for Bobby Fischer was an awesome movie!

------------------

the only kind of chess i like is speed chess (and speed siamese chess, though i'm guessing only chess dorks will have any idea what siamese is), which you can't really play electronically. after i got into bridge and poker though, it was a little hard to go back. anyone else ever hussle for a living (card hussling, that is)?

Originally posted by artful:

I wanna play Crommy or Dzadza's little brother LOL..... just to see what "really good" looks like.... but I'd play anyone.

Artful - it's like losing to that dancing baby you got on your signature. Really. My little brother is a bit plump, had a shaved head two years ago when I was playing with him, plus he's always moving - the guy just can't sit still... So go figure...

------------------

Don't forget to fly...

Originally posted by crommy:

Dza:

Well, it actually happened a slightly different way... Soon after he got his master title, we realized that if we wanted him to go further, he had to devote himself fully to chess. He was too young (and still is) to make such rough decisions, and my parents didn't want to push an eleven year old kid to practice chess 4-5 hrs. a day. So we gave it up, which I think was a right decision to make.

I actually haven't seen that movie... I probably should.

------------------

Don't forget to fly...

NOT ME!!!

------------------

A man makes his sunshine, and he makes his rain. Look at what you have, and where you are, before you say, "I've had a horrible day" Appreciate what you have, and realize how much others wish they could have that much. Live Life, and LOVE IT! --Me

"The Suspense is TERRIBLE....i hope it'll last!" -Willy Wonka

flash.jpg

[figured this to be a better topic than a lot of the ones we got floating around today]

------------------

gohanssj2.gifBabymin1.gif

<I'm a Fire-starter>

<Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee!!> <I got the glow, baby!!

Can ya feel it?!? Now back up and give me some dancin' room!!>

--- When the Artful speaks

i'm better than the super computer that beat kasparov

-Rob

------------------

-BRING BACK FRANK ALVEE *FOR GOOD*-

"And thus they give the time, that Nature meant

For peaceful sleep and meditative snores,

To ceaseless din and mindless merriment

And waste of shoes and floors."

hmr3.gif