Clubplanet Nightlife Community

cooking/cutting boards...

hey niiiice site... what do you think:

this one :

http://www.cooking.com/products/shprodde.asp?SKU=158108

The cutting board with the moat is nice, but they should list what type of wood they used (bamboo, cherry, etc.). The harder the wood the quicker your knife will dull w/ use. Try to find a board that has atleast a 5-10 year guarantee.

You will also need a white cutting board (nylon or corian) for meat like poultry, fish, and game, they are dishwasher safe. I also suggest one of those flexible cutting boards for cutting veggies/herbs that are hard to transfer.

Make sure to get one of those non-slip mats for your cutting board. That wil prevent the cutting board from moving while using it. Safety first :)

you have some suggestions for forks and knives~!?

My flatware set (called morgan), I found at williams sonoma. The quality is good and really not too expensive. I am cheap though, so if you're not, you may prefer Crate & Barrel's flatware.

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/

http://www.crateandbarrel.com

I think I owned the first one back when I was in new york (got it I thinkkkkkk but not sure at Lechters back in the day). If you are cutting generally dry foods, the first is better cuz the channeling on the edges functions to help runoff. But if you are cutting soft foods, the channeling may cause more work cleaning up in the channels. It was a good board when i had it. It also depends on how much counter top space you have.

niiiiice... thank you for the help... how come you know so much about cooking and utensils~!?

I am not a chef or anything, somehow I just learned. I really should be citing home ec as my source, but I ditched 80% of that class. Maybe it's a girl thing? Perhaps even innate? Anyway, glad to be of help.

i have a huge piece of granite left over from when the did my kitchen i was thinking of rubberizing the bottom and just using that... but on the flipside i wanted to look like a pro, and have a big mofo style cutting board... (majority of the stuff i would cut on it is veggies, and meats both chicken and steaks...) thanks for the heads up on all the places yall i appreciate it...

....the people i was just visiting sunday recently bought a restaurant supply store....if you need specific items, i could email the wife and see what kind of items and/or rates they'll offer me.....problem is they are upstate but i'm sure we could work something out......

sounds good but wouldnt want to put you out of your way...

...no biggie.....just send me an email of things you might be interested in and i'll forward it to them and see what they say......worst case they tell me is they cant do it.....

sounds good but wouldnt want to put you out of your way...

ds: even if i wash it in between~!? (i typically cut all my veggies first, then do the meats...)

yea bro.......my sister yelled at me all the time for doing that. she has a wooden one for the veggies. and some kind of a plastic one for the meats. the bacteria, according to her, stays in the cracks of the wooden ones. makes a bit of sense...especially with chicken...u should always clean your countertops, ect. after working with chicken. think your best bet would be a butchers block and a small wooden cutting board for the veggies. better to be safe than have food poisoning lol. but whatever i GUESS if you wipe and scrub it down really well u should be ok....

yea bro.......my sister yelled at me all the time for doing that. she has a wooden one for the veggies. and some kind of a plastic one for the meats. the bacteria, according to her, stays in the cracks of the wooden ones. makes a bit of sense...especially with chicken...u should always clean your countertops, ect. after working with chicken. think your best bet would be a butchers block and a small wooden cutting board for the veggies. better to be safe than have food poisoning lol. but whatever i GUESS if you wipe and scrub it down really well u should be ok....

When using a wooden cutting board for chicken (really all meat), afterwards you should wash it with hot soapy water, use a plain bleach and water rinse solution to sanitize and let it air dry completely. Then it should be safe to use again without fear of cross contamination.

It's best to clean the wooden cutting board this way every once in awhile, as fruit and veg can also have harmful bacteria.