Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Coming to Vegas 9/24 to 9/27

fiyahbyrd157

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi this is my first post here.

I just want to say I am a regular customer at OPM and I was told about this conversation.

I am a single white 24 year old attractive female.

I go to OPM and other similar clubs in Vegas and in the Philadelphia area all the time. I am not scared or uncomfortable. The guys are no different at spots like OPM than other clubs in town. Actually I think they are less rude than many guys at the newer clubs. Maybe its just me but a bunch of drunk white boys from LA are far less mature than people who frequent urban type clubs at least my experiences.

I think people should see for themselves which club they like the best.

I personally like hip-hop and reggae so I always have fun at clubs like OPM and Ra.

The one thing I don't like about OPM is that its smaller than Ra but the one thing I do like about it is that the club is always packed even early and the environment is always fun.

Lisa

I have to admit I have been hearing good things regarding OPM as of lately. But as a personal preference, because I don't like Reggae or Danchall I never go. Plus most of the people who come to me are looking for straight house. So my choice not to recommend it. The one time I have ever had anyone on this board, and seriously it was that one time, that recommended reggae, OPM was the recommendation.

My review was written back in July, way before all these changes. Back then I did go to OPM, and like it was stated before, I was wanded and basically frisked before I walked in. In Vegas, especially on the strip, that is not done by any other venue. That just ruined the vibe of the spot for me.

Hey I was there last night and it was EXTREMELY packed and an actually really good looking crowd too. It's funny that what i'm about to say was mentioned right here but a lot of people were at opm and then planned to head to body english later in the night. About the wand thing. I dont seem to understand why you would feel UNCOMFORTABLE about a place going out of its way to ensure the safety of the customers. In philly every club checks for weapons at their door. I would NOT feel comfortable going to any night club without that added security because even if everyone is peaceful and friendly it just takes one stupid drunk pimp type to start poppin off a weapon. That can happen anywhere where people drink a lot. even a place like body english or studio 54. If they dont check for weapons at the door they are very very foolish. One bad apple and the club gets ruined forever. Just look at what happened at the Venetian after the overdose. One person died and the club was done.

Lisa

Hey its me again lol. The reason Billie feels uncomfortable is because he doesn't really understand the hip-hop club culture. He suffers from the house music is peaceful and hip-hop is gangsta stigma. A lot of people who do not like the hip-hop scene have this image of low class guys groping all women and bringing guns and pushing people around like school yard bullies. That image is a reflection of pop culture that portrays everyone as gangsta rap stars from uptown NYC and the bad ass areas of Los Angeles. Yes some people actually are like that but they are the exceptions, not the rule. All clubs that suffer from that unrealistic stigma are forced to take preventative security measure to give its patrons an added layer of protection. Most big city clubs check for knives and guns at their checkpoint. Only a few Vegas spots do that right now but I can guarantee you that will change as soon as a big fight breaks out somewhere. Luckily the Vegas scene is very peaceful at all the clubs including the hip-hop spots. I commend the clubs that go the extra mileage to check for problems before they enter the premises.

Now you know that's not true. I don't feel that way about all hip hop clubs. Just the ones where they wand you. In Vegas people come to expect certain things, and that's not to be frisked when going to a club. I understand being frisked in order to prevent drugs, but being wanded for weaposn is a seperate issue. I don't think what I thought of OPM (back in July I might add) is that far off based if the club itself felt the need to wand patrons coming through.

Rememeber the review I made of OPM was back in July, before all the changes have bee recently made.

This discussion is really going to go nowhere...adn you know why?

Because people feel the way they do and avoid certain clubs because of the vibe whether it be a bad one or just one they are not into. I am not into the reggae dancehall, hence you probably wont find me at OPM on Sunday. You are, because you like reggae. Most of the people on this board ar enot reggae fans. Now I don't dare speak for all of them, but I know the majority here are house fans.

>In Vegas people come to expect certain things, and that's not to be frisked

>when going to a club

That is ABSOLUTELY incorrect. You really don't get it do you?

People WANT to feel safe. People WANT to feel that the security staff is there to protect them.

When people FLY they EXPECT security to check their carry ons. Do you believe people who go drinking in overpacked nightclubs are LESS of a security risk than those who fly?

Billie I don't know where you're from, but around here, people APPRECIATE when staff handles security issues with top care and precaution. Preventative security messures should be APPLAUDED, not CRITICIZED.

You're prejudice against the scene that "intimidates you" is overwhelmingly obvious. Vegas is for big boys and girls who aren't afraid of people who do not conform to their own style. You need to open your mind buddy.

Please.....I really think it is you that doesn't. Name one other club on the strip that wands their guests or frisks them??

Flying has no bearing on the clubs here. When you fly, that is expected because there is a clear and present danger. But it is not expected of a club here in Vegas to do that. It is actually unheard of.

Tell me whay those other clubs don't do it?? If safety is such a concern and should be applauded, why don't other clubs do it? I'd think if if it is such a great thing that all clubs will follow suit. You want to know why?? It's because certain clubs with certain vibes attract a certain element. I am not saying it is the majority, in fact, you are correct that it is the minority, which represent the bad vibe. But for me, I'd rather all together avoid it.

This is a basic argument of oranges and apples. What you see as a great place to party may not be seen as such by others. Just as my choices may not be the picks of the majority. But remember all this does not sway anybody in your argument. It will not change the fact that I would rather not spend my nights at a certain spot, as well as others. Also think to yourself why no one, other than you have had a problem with my reviews. It's because the majority of this board seem to enjoy and have the same views on a party as I do.

If you think I am a racist then so be it. My friends and I are like the f*cking UN. All we'd need is an eskimo and most all races would be reresented. So be careful of who you point your biggot argument to. I party along side white and blacks the same.

What would you say if I were black and commented on how I didn't like urban parties?? Would you call me a sell out? What would you say if I were black and said I hate partying with white frat boys? I'm sure you wouldn't be pulling out the race card there? All I see is that you got upset over something that was not in your favor. There was nothing mentioned about race. Bottom line like I said it is all abut the vibe of a spot. So if things have changed since my review so be it. Do your civic duty and tell people what changes have been made and move on with your life.

The only reason I even brought race into it is because your original review degraded the urban race until you literally edited them out the other day.

When you made comments to make fun of "upscale urban club" then you opened the door to the race card.

Then when you literally defended yourself by saying you have problems with all-asian parties, your motives were obvious - and STILL racist - even if against your own race. You tried to demonstrate that you can't be racist if you also make racial comments and broad stereotypes against your own race - sorry bud - doesn't work that way.

As far as SAFETY and nightclubs go...

I'm sure you know about the shooting right outside the DRINK nightclub in 1998. That wasn't an urban club. Three people shot.

2002 Elks Club Vegas - Stabbing

2002 Shooting Glo at the Hop

Crazy Horse 2003. Shooting in parking lot.

None of those were even associated with urban crowds.

If you go to ANY place where lots of people congregate in a high-testosterone environment with abundant drinking, for chrissake, it's nice to know nobody is carrying knives and pieces. They even check people going into sporting events now.

However in all fairness I should include a classic quote from Chris Rock:

"Never go to clubs with metal detectors. Sure it feels safe inside. But what about all those niggas waiting outside with guns? They know you ain't got one."

Yet again, you were the one that made my use of "Urban" into a race issue.

ur·ban ( P ) Pronunciation Key (ûrbn) adj.

1. Of, relating to, or located in a city.

2. Characteristic of the city or city life.

I used it to describe a vibe of a party.

I am done with this thread.