Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Why Miami can NEVER parallel NYC nightlife...

philippio

Agreed on the pace of Manhatten. South Beach has a more laid back vibe(daytime at least) and I like the beach feel.

Those clubs you mention were all awesome from what I have been told. However, what about now? Do you still consider the venues up there to be on par w/ Space? ...

You cannot ask me that question... I am seriously biassed AGAINST Space. :gang:

Did you ever get a chance to go to any of the clubs I mentioned? In particular, Vinyl/ARC, Cielo, Centro-Fly, Shelter?

twilo, limelight, palladium, USA, filter 14 (all R.I.P.)

opium den, sin sin, le souk, saphire, avalon, spirit

such a wealth of music in Nyc its incredible....

not to forget all the underground loft parties that still go on which most pople have no idea about :D

not to forget all the underground loft parties that still go on which most pople have no idea about :D

yeah that's what I'm about! you should get with my friend and rent that loft I was telling you about, he saw it, said it's beautiful, but he can't afford 1800 alone....

yeah that's what I'm about! you should get with my friend and rent that loft I was telling you about, he saw it, said it's beautiful, but he can't afford 1800 alone....

i know! i really want to.......im thinking bout selling my car to do that....but its gunna be ruff u know...i have to REALLLLLLY think about it :(

i know! i really want to.......im thinking bout selling my car to do that....but its gunna be ruff u know...i have to REALLLLLLY think about it :(

that's cool, though he'll probably find something smaller b4 that, but I might be looking for someplace up there in April so maybe we'll see then

And if they're lucky, they wake up in Manhattan (maybe even the Upper East side if they're really lucky)! What's your point? :D

my granny's been wakin' up on the Upper East Side for the last 50 years, they tried to put her in a home upstate but she don't wanna wake up no place else except in the big city that never sleeps!

I'll Take New York (Tom Waits)

I'll tip the newsboy

I'll get a shine

I'll ride this dream

to the end of the line

I'm goin places

I'll take a ride

Up to the Riverside

I'll take NY

I'll let it happen

I'll pop the cork

tear off the wrappin'

I'll make a splash on the Hudson

that's how I will arrive

Hey, do you have two tens for a five?

Roll out the carpet

Strike up the band

break into the best

champagne when I land

Beat the parade drum

hit all the bars

I want the moon and stars

But I'll take NY

I'll make it happen

Blow out the candlels

tear off the wrappin'

And I know someday

they'll have to name a street after me

right next door to old Franklin D

FIRST WE TAKE MANHATTAN

Leonard Cohen

They sentenced me to twenty years of boredom

For trying to change the system from within

I'm coming now, I'm coming to reward them

First we take Manhattan, then we take Berlin

I'm guided by a signal in the heavens

I'm guided by this birthmark on my skin

I'm guided by the beauty of our weapons

I'd really like to live beside you, baby

I love your body and your spirit and your clothes

But you see that line there moving through the station?

I told you, I told you, told you, I was one of those

Ah you loved me as a loser, but now you're worried that I just might win

You know the way to stop me, but you don't have the discipline

How many nights I prayed for this, to let my work begin

I don't like your fashion business mister

And I don't like these drugs that keep you thin

I don't like what happened to my sister

I'd really like to live beside you, baby ...

And I thank you for those items that you sent me

The monkey and the plywood violin

I practiced every night, now I'm ready

I am guided

Ah remember me, I used to live for music

Remember me, I brought your groceries in

Well it's Father's Day and everybody's wounded

i think what is so ill about nyc is that there are so many people living there, even if you are involved in a smaller scene, you definitely have more choices of venues and events to hit up

case in point

downtempo... when i was out in nyc a couple weeks ago, i got invited to 3 or 4 downtempo events being thrown within one week

out here in miami, you are lucky to have a downtempo party once every 3 months

miami is pretty much all about what is trendy and then mad venues do it until its played out

i love miami though... wouldnt want to live anywhere else... i love the sun and warm weather too much

but we got our problems

having been born and raised in ny and having had the opportunity to experience clubs like twilo, sf, etc. the comparisons between new york and miami are unbalanced. new york has a larger audience to draw from, which lends itself to a more diverse selection of music offerings and support for the same. it is still my belief, that miami has the best core of home based talent in the country.

Phil is correct "Miami can NEVER parallel NYC nightlife", and quite frankly I don’t think that I would want that. personally, I enjoy the uniqueness of the new york and miami nightlife and what both offer.

imo the scene in miami is what you make of it. the diversity is there if you look for it, and will remain in place if you support it. :)

all of u that debate over this.....u guys miss what good times r really supposed to be about!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:half:

such a shame!!!!!!!!!!!!! people debate over things that in the scope of life mean absolutly nothing!!!!!!!!!!!!! were individuals for a reason....we have differnet likes and taste....just leave it at that, and forget about all this this place or music is better than that place or music!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

And Chicago is Chicago

10.1: Osunlade @ Sonotheque

10.1: Seb Fontaine @ Soundbar

10.1: DJ Rush @ Zentra

10.2: Hyper, Darude, Kenneth Thomas @ Vision

10.2: Daniel Wang Vs Morgan Geist @ Smartbar

10.4: Mark Rae @ Slicks

10.6: Jesse De La Pena & Glenn Underground @ Moonshine (7PM-1AM)

10.6: High Contrast @ Rive Gauche

10.7: Doc Martin @ Soundbar

10.7: Mike Dearborn @ Slicks

10.7: Tommie Sunshine, Greg of Kill Hannah @ Smartbar

10.8: Dubtribe Soundsystem, Derrick Carter @ Vision

10.8: Taylor & Matt Darey @ Soundbar

10.8: DJ Krush @ Metro

10.8: Neil Aline @ Smartbar

10.8: Mark Grant @ Zentra

10.9: LTJ Bukem & MC Conrad @ Sonotheque

10.9: Armin Van Buuren, Markus Schulz @ Vision

10.9: Colette, Pete Moss @ Smartbar

10.14: Derrick May, Tim Baker @ Soundbar

10.14: Afrikaa Bambaataa @ Smartbar

10.15: Junkie XL (live), Desyn Masiello @ Soundbar

10.15: Heather, Miles Maeda @ Smartbar

10.15: Steve "Silk" Hurley,Farley "Jackmaster" Funk,Fast Eddie,Jes,Dajae,George Jackson @ Zentra

10.16: Max Graham, Gray Area, Kyle Szmurlo @ Vision

10.16: John Acquaviva (7 hour set) @ Smartbar

10.19: Bryan Zentz @ Crush

10.20: Heather, Shawn Michaels @ Moonshine (7PM-1AM)

10.21: Elliot Eastwick @ Smartbar

10.22: Miguel Migs & Lisa Shaw @ Smartbar

10.22: Mistress Barbara @ Soundbar

10.23: DJ Irene, Dan Efex, Rez @ Vision

10.23: Huggy (UK),Justin Long, Mike Pugh @ Smartbar

10.28: Mazi @ Slicks

10.28: Paul Anthony @ Harry's Velvet Lounge

10.29: Unkle (live) @ Soundbar

10.29: Josh Wink, Maurice Joshua, Mike Dunn, Mike Dearborn @ Smartbar

10.30: BT (dj set), NU NRG (live), Alex Peace @ Vision

10.30: Michael Mayer, Reinhard Voigt @ Smartbar

10.31: Peter Rauhofer @ Soundbar

11.4: Mark Farina @ Metro

11.4: Hipolito Sanchez & Frank Solano @ Slicks

11.5: Steve Lawler @ Soundbar

11.6: Jeff Mills, Hiroki @ Vision

11.6: Metro Area, Brad Owen @ Smartbar

11.12: Superpitcher, ADA @ Smartbar

11.13: Colette, Alena, Miss Michaela @ Smartbar

11.18: Ellen Allien, Kate Simko (live) @ Smartbar

11.18: Lawn Chair Generals @ Slicks

11.20: Robert Owens, Tortured Soul (Live) @ Smartbar

11.24: Heather, Colette, Dayhota, Lady D @ Smartbar

12.3: Kaskade @ Smartbar

12.11: Colette, Gene Farris @ Smartbar

12.24: Lee Burridge @ Soundbar

geez

why cant we have a lineup like that

sonotheque has been doin it... i know king britt just recently became a resident at that spot

i cant even get osunlade to come visit miami let alone play here

and thats fam

haha

for real i wish we could have a schedule like that

i do know migs and lisa shaw are comin out here on november 12th

...imo the scene in miami is what you make of it. the diversity is there if you look for it, and will remain in place if you support it. :)

No argument there... the problem exists because your very statement applies to every individual who enjoys going out to nightclubs. I do everything I can to support music that I personally like. But if you slice off a cross-section of Miami's general clubbing public, what percentage of that cross-section is willing to go out of their way to support something new and different? It is much easier (and requires a much lower attention span) to be a follower and tag along with all the other sheep that head to Space to hear Ferry Corsten on his 8th visit to Miami or PvD on his tenth!

It is still my belief, that miami has the best core of home based talent in the country.

:)

This is another point that I don't necessarily disagree on. You may be correct but when the select few nightclubs focus on the talent of the select few bigger name dj's (local or otherwise), all the less obvious home-grown talent gets completely overlooked by all but the more ecclectic and music savvy clubbers. Fierce competition to survive and corrupt club politics only make the situation worse. :(

very true

but to be honest, im not really feelin too much of the local talent

from what i see, the majority of the talent is trance/progressive house/breaks based and similar rubbish

yeah that might be cool to fill the trendy clubs, but to have the majority or people comin through to be of these genres, it really kills the chance of other genre spinning djs to come through simply for the fact that they might not get a turnout that they deserve or the kind of turnout they get in other big cities.

miami's club scene is all about who the biggest and most popular names are.... and which club is bringin them in

some heads dont really even go out for the music... they go out to politic or hob nob for an opportunity to say monday morning that they went here to see so and so and got to meet joe blow

ive been in other cities and seen djs/performers who have played in miami and saw that the crowd response was way iller in those other cities.... one in particular that was real recent here in miami was tortured soul. in detroit those cats played IN THE RAIN and the crowd still stayed out dancin their tails off, and it wasnt a particularly small crowd either. last week, the crowd at the marlin seemed like they were barely amused... a few were gettin down

but if people werent so concerned about lookin cool, i think the vibe wouldve been so much better

aight im done.. its gettin really long

peace to those who are really bringin it (aquabooty, etc)

No argument there... the problem exists because your very statement applies to every individual who enjoys going out to nightclubs. I do everything I can to support music that I personally like. But if you slice off a cross-section of Miami's general clubbing public, what percentage of that cross-section is willing to go out of their way to support something new and different? It is much easier (and requires a much lower attention span) to be a follower and tag along with all the other sheep that head to Space to hear Ferry Corsten on his 8th visit to Miami or PvD on his tenth!

in your own words "I do everything I can to support music that I personally like". that is exactly what miami’s general clubbing public does. they support the music they personally like. if they don’t want to try something new and different then that is there prerogative and potential lost. simply because someone does not wish to give an ear to something which is different, doesn’t imply they are a follower. nor do I find it necessary denigrate their music preferences, by saying "It is much easier (and requires a much lower attention span) to be a follower and tag along". that to me shows a certain level of arrogance and elitism on your part. quite frankly, that is not what the scene should be about imo. one should have the capacity to accept and respect other people’s choices, not put down those choices, simply because they are not in line with your own view of how a clubber should act. the point is to have fun in whatever you do. :)

This is another point that I don't necessarily disagree on. You may be correct but when the select few nightclubs focus on the talent of the select few bigger name dj's (local or otherwise), all the less obvious home-grown talent gets completely overlooked by all but the more ecclectic and music savvy clubbers. Fierce competition to survive and corrupt club politics only make the situation worse. :(

"Selected few clubs" ; which you don’t mention by name:D these clubs are a business first and foremost. thus their goal is to make money. when you have a limited number of venues, and even more limited core of clubbers on which to draw. a wise business decision would be to cater to the masses. to say the†less obvious home grown talent gets completely overlooked†is very subjective. the cold reality is politics creeps into every aspect of business whether it’s a club, a large company, etc. the reality is if you’re going to survive then you learn to play the game or sit on the sidelines and whine about it. :)