Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Paul Oakenfold @ crobar thanksgiving eve

i remember in like 2002 or 2001 not sure he did a show with dfuse and seb fontaine at the hammerstein

that was sick

i think the set was still short not sure was too long ago, but the energy at that party was amazing

I remember that night. That was a few months after 9/11. That is when Oakey had the projectors and shows a glimpse of the towers. I have never saw a crowd ROAR @ HAMMERSTEIN that night. I have been to a lot of PVD, Teisto, & Armin shows. No one ROARED like the crowd did in Hammerstein.

Victor Soto

Oakie is past his prime. He used to be one of the Pioneers of Trance. He can still bring it if it is in him; I heard him 2 years ago at WMC and he was Amazing, but that was because he was opening for Tiesto.

The guy now has tried to change with the changing times mixing different geners of music but have gone stale. The man's cd's are boring at best. Go listen to Buunka or however you spell it and you will know what I mean. It doesn't even sound like Trance.

You want to listen to a Dj that can bring it with the Changing of times and still have mad energy- 3 letters- P V D !!!!!

I remember that night. That was a few months after 9/11. That is when Oakey had the projectors and shows a glimpse of the towers. I have never saw a crowd ROAR @ HAMMERSTEIN that night. I have been to a lot of PVD, Teisto, & Armin shows. No one ROARED like the crowd did in Hammerstein.

Victor Soto

that fucking model that he had on that screen was so god damn gorgeous

he should do a show like that again. maybe armin pvd or tiesto could spin with him....

that would be sikk

Victor Soto

I completely agree with you...that was one of the best club nights I ever had. When he dropped U2's "Streets have no name" the place went absolutely nuts. Since then, I've seen Oakie at Exit and Centro, and his sets have gotten worse and worse... :gang:

just saw it posted on crobars website

im definitely making it down for this..

and to whoever said that oakenfold isn't keeping with the times... GOOD.. dont get me wrong, i love trance and i love hard trance, but, pvd and armin's sets are sooooo predictable.. it's the same predictable bassline over a different synth... pvd's sets barely fluctuate 5 bpm throughout 6 hours... he probably keeps it between, i dont know.. 135 and 145 bpm.. atleast with oakenfold you get some variety... with pvd it's THE SAME damn bassline every damn track... if 3/4ths of the crowd wasnt rolling their face off maybe people would notice this... with oakenfold i think you're getting more of a drinking crowd since he doesn't cater to the younger crowd like pvd and armin do... i saw oakenfold last thanksgiving eve at avalon and he was trancing tracks out all over the place... nice long epic buildups.. this is the shit that really gets your hands in the air...

im definitely making it down for this..

and to whoever said that oakenfold isn't keeping with the times... GOOD.. dont get me wrong, i love trance and i love hard trance, but, pvd and armin's sets are sooooo predictable.. it's the same predictable bassline over a different synth... pvd's sets barely fluctuate 5 bpm throughout 6 hours... he probably keeps it between, i dont know.. 135 and 145 bpm.. atleast with oakenfold you get some variety... with pvd it's THE SAME damn bassline every damn track... if 3/4ths of the crowd wasnt rolling their face off maybe people would notice this... with oakenfold i think you're getting more of a drinking crowd since he doesn't cater to the younger crowd like pvd and armin do... i saw oakenfold last thanksgiving eve at avalon and he was trancing tracks out all over the place... nice long epic buildups.. this is the shit that really gets your hands in the air...

i agree. their shit is pretty damn predictable.

You know a lot of the criticisms are right on point, so you won't hear me saying otherwise.

And for those not going... :bounce:

If its one thing I can NOT stand here in NY (ok there's about a million) is the overcrowdedness especially when some of the bigger name DJ's show up.

So Oakie at Crobar sounds excellent. Definitely hitting this up, in fact it'll be the ONLY thing I hit up for the remainder of 2004. (Digweed, Oakie, Farina, and Method, +more in LA sound good though)

But PVD & Armin definitely bring what trance is supposed to be, or energy... can't complain there.

Oaky just never disappoints when I see him. In Boston on July 4, it was a great party... then went to the grammy release party in late July (the LA one) and same thing.

And currently the track that's all over A State of Trance via IDT radio, and that Armin's label has signed was dropped by Oakie at WMC's Essential Selection. (Interstate's - I Found U).

So he still has some of what he's lost. He can't mix and I'm not going there to see the spinning. But his track selection is very good, always has been, always will be.

Now its a problem of him coming on for like someone else said, 2 minutes, and not being the headliner. He's now the "other guy"... talk about a guy that's no longer interested in being the man and getting bashed b/c of it!

So let's keep this Oakie thing on the DL... I wouldn't mind an empty crowd, more room for me to dance anyways :).

And while some of his albums I can't stand (bunkka or whatever its called), his creamfields CD is decent, some are very old tracks, but some are quite good.

Let's hope the tix for Oakie isn't for 40 bucks...

I would have to diasagree with you there. PVD brings alot of different elements of electronic music in with him. He also spins har house, techno, breaks. I saw Oakie a couple of times and he acutaually canceled at Jones Beach ones because he didnt like records he brought. I mean come on, Didn't like the records you brought????- you bring the records deutschbag

The man is played out, will never make top 5 top Dj's again, I predict PVD on the othere hand 1 or 2 again this year.

But Like I said, everyone has their own opinion, and that is what makes music so great :)

U going. Really havent missed any of his Trancegiving Events, but a bit tired of his 2 minutes sets.

Victor Soto

yo what up vic how ya been? ...yeah i havent seen him since centrofly 4th of july 03 so ...i think the set will be longer being that he is playing crobar they usually dont close till 7or 8...but then again he has not played more than 3 hrs the last 2 years

Thanksgiven Eve = Worst Night Ever To Go Out On

I agree with you there...I used to do the mega DJ/megaclub on Trancegiving, but their always packed like sardines. I stick to the local bars (which always end up being high school reunions) on Thanx eve these days...save club nights for off-nights, and enjoy the dance space.

if the price was normal i wouldnt mind the short sets but he usually charges 50 plus when he plays.

for that amount i want a fucking marathon crackhead jp sound factory set, the one that starts saturday and ends sunday afternoon lol

That isn't Oakenfold charging 50. When he's charging 25-35 everywhelse in the US and 50 in NY... It isn't Oakenfold.

Example. For New Years in LA, the lineup for Digweed, Oakenfold, Crystal Method, and Mark Farina (there will be more announced later) will run 75.00

Anyone want to take a guess how much PVD alone will be for New Years in NY? 150?

I'm hoping for winning contests, or reduced guestlists or something for Oakenfold.