Clubplanet Nightlife Community

What is your "musical background"?

PCR

I am assuming that most of the folks here are into EDM (be it trance, techno, house)

What I am really curious about is; what types of music have you listen to before (or still do) besides EDM?

What was the progression for you….different genres, artists etc….

To get it going I will mention my musical preferences:

I really started to listen to and follow music with the invasion of heavy metal, way back when Metallica came out with their first album (Kill ‘em All). Didn’t really stick with heavy metal for long though….I, then, shifted towards progressive rock (Pink Floyd, Yes, old Genesis, VDGG) and some other 70s stuff, like David Bowie, Eno. Still like all of that and have their CDs in my collection.

Then came the late 80s with the Cure, Nick Cave, much of what 4AD was releasing at the time (Dead Can Dance, Cocteau Twins, TMC) as well as some from Mute ( Barry Adamson, Mick Harvey, Laibach, Anita Lane).

There is also a collection of CDs I like to go back to once in a while; The Smiths, Howard Jones, Talk Talk, Joy Division, New Order...

I also included in my CD collection some easier, electronic stuff; Sisters of Mercy, Depeche Mode, Clan of Xymox.

Quite diverse collection but leaning towards the slow and ambient tracks with a touch of electronic music.

Lately (the past 3-4 yrs) I’ve been picking up trip-hop (I guess that’s the term); Portishead, Tricky, Morcheeba as well as some calming down-tempo; Hooverphonics, Air, Mono.

And last but not least….the weekly escapades to the clubs for a fix of EDM!

Rock, all Rock.

NYC Hardcore

"Grunge" - Nirvana, Pearl Jam, etc

"Metal" - Metallica, and Static X mostly

Guns N Roses

Stone Temple Pilots

Plus the typical assortment of whatevers on KROCK like Green Day, Blink182, Cold (NOT COLD PLAY... THEY SUCK), etc

What got me into EDM? Not a fucking clue. Growing up in Bay Ridge, I just associated EDM with Guidos, and then in College figured out there was more than KTU crap. Im mostly into House, but lately I've found I like the sound of Vocal Trance.

i started off with punk and some heavy metal shit, used to listen to old school bad religion, pennywise type stuff. still do actually, it's not like the punk of today where everything sounds the same. also listened to a lot of rage against the machine, they had their own style back before the whole rap/rock fusion started happening. listened to some hip hop here and there, then senior year of highschool, and more into freshman year of college started getting into edm. actually, haha, zombie nation got me curious about it, cause they played it like a million times at my prom. i know i know, lol, but over teh next few years i listened to basically all edm, started spinning. now i listen to mostly house, with some trance occasionally to mix it up. still listen to hip hop too, the white boy within craves it every once in a while.

i got into edm at a very early age....round 15....my sister used to promote for the limelight and club usa....actually got to go with her a BUNCH of times. it was unreal back then.....kinda made me do some drugs early too :laugh: but whatever...i been in love with it ever since i first heard it. what made me fall in love with it was how such a simple bassline could make hundreds of people move in unison....simply amazing....

i am still into old hip hop (hip hop died 99 IMO), some rock, industrial, jazz classical ect. ect.

In this order I have gone since I've learn that music is my release

I'm not going to name all the bands, just enough to give you an idea

1st Metal: Faith no More, Metallica, Samuel...

2nd New York Hardcore: V.O.D., Cleanser...

3rd Industrial/ Little bit of Goth: Skinny Puppy, 16 Volt, Delirium, Klute, Portishead...

4th Gabber/ Break beat: Delta 9, Lenny D, DJ Bent...

5th Trance/ Tribal/ House: Frankie Bones (Caffeine) D.T., Carl Cox, (Tunnel)...

Someplace in there I listen to:

The Cure, Depeche Mode, Dead can Dance

You will sometimes catch me listening to:

Gypsy music: Paris Combo

Cabaña, Puerto Rican, Mambo: Tito Puente

Classical: Bach

Now I would say I like:

Deep Dish, Steve Lawler, D.T. Vibe...mostly Tribal and House

I'm a fan of good lyrics and passionate beats.

used to listen to nirvana, hole, stp, rage, GnR, other stuff like that and some hip hop(the doors, jimmy and janis too). in 8-9th grade i started listening to Jungle and techno, went to limelight and vinyl a couple of times. then after that it was mostly trance for a while. then house, now it's mostly anything good. Techno, House, UK Garage, DnB, Rock, 2 Step and a lil trance, not too big on trance anymore.

Hmm well I have always had a love for dance music. I started out djaying when Freestyle was big yes the F word lol. And it just grew on my now I love everything tribal, progressive, vocal and trance I have a true love for dance music and will support it to the end believe it or not I even like disco gotta love Donna Summer lol.

great thread slavic!!!!

hmm... i was into normal teenage stuff: nirvana, pearl jam, live, green day offspring etc. etc.

once i start skating (rollerblading lol) i got into some punk type stuff like minor threat, fear, pennywise, rancid, bad religion, nofx, clash.. also with that phase i was into ska... my first "show" was less than jake and blink 182 @ DISCOTEQUE.. this was so long ago that blink 182 was the opening band.. lol

then that progressed into nyc streetpunk and oi...

shit like casualties, unseen, les stitches, oxblood, templars, oxymoron, exploited, bomb squadron etc. etc.

even some nyhc and a lot of sihc.. shit like agnostic front... i hated that ghetto hardcore yo yo gangsta 25 ta life bullshit... shit was wiggedy whack..

the summer before college i went to carbon and i was working at sam goody and then i just wound up picking up a cd (tranzworld 2)... the kids i met at school were into house and trance and from there i was into xdream, micro bad boy bill etc. etc. started going to raves which eventually turned into clubs and here i am 5 years later..

also in college i found classic/acid rock... i LOVE hendrix, clapton, doors, floyd, zeppelin, cream, beatles, stones, ccr... ahh music is the shit... if im in my car 104.3 is on...

I was always a hip-hop girl (my first tape was "Please Hammer Don't Hurt Em" lol) but I always loved house too, except the only time I would ever hear it was on commercials for clubs on the radio b/c I grew up around Philly. Then I started going clubbing when I was 16, and got more into progressive house and some trance. Then I went to Rutgers (actually a main reason I went there was b/c when I went on a tour I heard people in a dorm listening to house) and got into the NY club scene...now I am a pots & pans girl all the way, hehe. I still love hip-hop but now it is so mainstream that you hear it all the time. I definitely would rather hear house when I'm at a club.

it's interesting too, at least with the people i know, how when first getting into the edm scene we were into trance, mostly hard trance actually, and now leaning more towards the housey side. i remember back in the tunnel days, i loved the plasmic honey productions, haha, still do actually, the funeral and all that shit. now though im more into the "calmer" i guess you can say beats. i find myself listening almost exclusively to house lately, progressive, tribal, and disco/funky type stuff mostly. every once in a while i would listen to some trance to mix things up, usually if pvd or tiesto is in town. but as much as i like trance it just gets to you after a while, but house you can listen to without it getting too much, i don't know how else to describe it. i guess just cause there's more variety and depth to it.

it's interesting too, at least with the people i know, how when first getting into the edm scene we were into trance, mostly hard trance actually, and now leaning more towards the housey side. i remember back in the tunnel days, i loved the plasmic honey productions, haha, still do actually, the funeral and all that shit. now though im more into the "calmer" i guess you can say beats. i find myself listening almost exclusively to house lately, progressive, tribal, and disco/funky type stuff mostly. every once in a while i would listen to some trance to mix things up, usually if pvd or tiesto is in town. but as much as i like trance it just gets to you after a while, but house you can listen to without it getting too much, i don't know how else to describe it. i guess just cause there's more variety and depth to it.

That's exactly what happened to me.

RAP! does that even exist anymore...lol rap music? or should i say Hip-Hop... either way, that's what i grew up on... Slick Rick, Beasties, Run DMC, KRS-One and NWA... i also listened to a lot of 60's,70's and 80's because i used to write mad hip-hop beats, and i would sample search through stacks and stacks of cds... The Doors were my favorite :)

went to limelight for a hip-hop night around 17 and accidently walked upstairs on thursday night and found myself blasted by HARDCORE TECHNO...

that was that... it never left me since... hardcore techno was my gateway genre... i later became real interested in aphex twin, squarepusher, and that whole "wierd beard" genre...

10+ years later, i love it all... 80s is one of my fav genre's though :)

"Music is my only friend... 'till the end" - Jim Morrison :bowdown:

another interesting side note; it's funny that most young ppl (teenage) are either into lame ass pop or into heavy metal or such.

I remember me and my friends would make fun of all the electronic music.... " mannnn, they don't even play real instruments...."

my taste in music started with grunge/alternative rock. i started listening to edm a little bit in '96 or so (Faithless & Funky green Dogs) and the occaisonal astralwerks release.

i continued with rock for a while until woodstock 99 (worst concert experience ever!!!!). after that crap i got fed up with the genre and stopped listening to most of my cds (except for NIN).

in freshman year of college I saw Run Lola Run and bought the soundtrack. About 85% of my music collection is edm now. :laugh: My cds after that for a while were mostly Faithless and BT, with a few trance compilations and those Plastic albums.

i started out going to exit alot (like most b&t folk). during my study abroad experience i got my first taste of techno (carl cox). after seeing sven vaeth in 2002 I became absolutely hooked on it. About that time i started to dislike trance.

Now, thanks to Scissor Sisters and Goldfrapp, I may give rock a chance again.

seems like we are the old folks sometimes...hip-hop seems to be the popular thing now.

wat i wonder is, wats next???? i mean, everybody goes through their phases, but will i eventually start liking music old folks listen to???????????? ive been wondering this all my life.

seems like we are the old folks sometimes...hip-hop seems to be the popular thing now.

true.... i borrowed my mothers car the other day and she had hot 97 programmed in the top 5 presets... and power 105 in the remaining 5 presets... my partner at work.. still listens to rap and she's 35 soo... ?

growing up I was into Metal,bands like Anthrax,ect...

I was also into GNR,ect....I was only about 5 or 6 when I started listen to this music.

I also was into the doors,Led,ect....

Beastie Boys was the first rap group that I liked

My teenage years I was into Rap and Metal,NYHC,until I was about 15.My boy took me to a party,I didnt like the music all that much,but I had a good time.I started Listen to Lenny D,Rob Gee,and was more into that style at first.We went out one night I was about 16 or 17 and I dropt a hit,from that point on it was over I finaly loved the music.Ever since then Ive been into the music so much,That I realy dont listen to anything else,Even If iam just driving around.

I like some new metal,realy cant get into it anymore,and most of this new rap thats out I cant stand.