Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Brazillian Ju-Jitsu

nycguy420

Has anyone here taken Brazillian Ju-Jitsu? How did you like it? Do you feel that it is effective? I want to start taking a martial arts class two or three times a week and am wondering if this is the most practical one to pick. I have heard very good things about it especially in real life situations. I have taken boxing for a couple of month's in the past so I am pretty comfortable with my striking abilities, so I figured it would be best to enhance my grappling skills. How did taking martial art classes affect your schedule in regards to the gym? I still want to be able to go to the gym four times a week, but am worried about being sore during the martial arts classes. Opinions on this are greatly appreciated.

Everyone is going to have their own mixed opinions...

In my belief if you are trully looking for a realistic and practical martial arts style you will want something on your feet as opposed to on the ground. One on one fighting - brazilian jui-jitsu will rule... however, when the guy has two or three friends around... the last place you want to be is on the ground.

The true emphasis in martial arts is to get yourself out of a situation - not to fight the guy toe to toe. You make one or several strikes and get the hell out of there... feet stomping on you while you are on the grounds, guns, etc. will change your view point on wanting to "defeat" someone.

With that said - some noteworthy styles taught in this area (all over the place) are Jui-Jitsu, Judo, Aikido, Kempo, Preying Mantis, American and Okinawan GoJu (last two styles being the easiest styles to learn and practice and are affordable), etc. There are plenty more that I have left off the list - I am just working off the top of my head. I would include Jeet Kun Do (Bruce Lee's sytle that incorporates (bits and pieces - the "best" moves of many styles) as the basis for their style... unfortunately the best instructors are not in the NY Metro area... I believe west coast last time I researched.

And on a side note the easiest places to find with respect to martial arts are both Tiger Shulmans' and Taekwando. Overall, it has been said by many blackbelts that rank wise - their students don't match up. With that said in Taekwando the style was originally established to knock soldiers off their horses. As a result they focus on high strikes (hands/feet). Putting your leg up high for a kick is great in the movies or to impress girls. But it can land you to the ground in a fight and like I said earlier... that's the last place you want to be.

Finally I don't mean to offend anyone if they are taking a particular martial arts. If you have a comment, please share your view.

I agree with captainpec. It's good to know some grappling, but in most situations I'd rather keep it on the feet if I had to and finish it quickly. Just some boxing or kickboxing would be good in that situation. Imagine that Pacers/Pistons brawl. Good hand skills are the most important thing in a brawl situation.

took BJJ for quite a few years, and weight trained also three times a week. BJJ was effective for me in learning basic self defense, learning how to read someone’s movements, etc. 2-3 times a week is not bad for BJJ traning. this shouldn't affect your weight training, that is assuming you're not over training in the gym to begin with. you shouldn't really have much soreness. I would recommend that you learn some basic stretches, and make them a part of your daily routine. also IMO there is no best MA style in the practical sense for the street. street fighting is very unpredictable, and can never really be duplicated in any MA setting... every MA has something to offer ..the bottom line is a kick, strike, punch, etc will get the job done in most cases. BJJ is much more then just grappling. just practice whatever MA you choose like a mofo, listen, and never hesitate to use what you have learned.

Thanks for the replies. After doing some research of schools in my area I decided to go with this Martial Art school called Progressive Martial Arts. They teach Jeet Kun Do, STX Kickboxing, and BJJ, even some Kali (stick fighting) which I probably won't take. I figure it will give me an a little bit of everything. Here's the link:

http://www.progressivemartialarts.com/

Has anyone heard of this place or know anyone that has trained here? Is it any good? Thanks.

I suggest that before you commit to any one single art or dojo, that you attend several classes first as a spectator. There are many variables to condiser including (i) cost, (ii) duration of each class, (iii) how much of each class is spent working out versus learning, and (iv) how much time is spent sparring. You can learn all the techniques in the world, but I feel as though a good portion comes from sparring (application of the technique).

Anyway - if you go to that place, let us know how it turns out.

When you say "effective" do you mean effective in provide you with a recreational activity in order to maintain health? Or effective in fighting or harming another individual?

If it is the former, then I don't think it matters what kind of foreign label you apply to the activity. If it is the later then just carry a baseball bat.

I guess I am getting old but I do not understand why people waste their time learning to fight (for self defense). In most situations if an individual is trying to harm you, then learning a couple of cheesy moves will only piss the agressor off so that he harms you even more. Learn how to run, scream, and/or buy some mace Don't waste your time by learning karate.

I am not trying to offend any person who thinks that these moves will save their life (or protect them) but if a 300 lbs person wants to hurt a person who is of normal size, then i don't care what type of martial arts the smaller person knows. And yes, I know that Tito Ortiz (sp?) can kick ass but i seriously doubt he has the need for any type of martial arts to be able to kick an untrained persons ass.

nautica

How would you justify all of these ultimate fighting championships where the "big" guy never wins? Being bigger isn't always an advantage. Every man has weaknesses and pressure points and taking martial arts help you understand how to expose them. I don't care how big you are - one shot to the soloplex and you are my bitch. No man is effectively fighting back with the wind knocked out of him.

I will agree that I am not ever going to fight toe to toe with a 300lb man... that's stupid/crazy. If he is by himself - taking him down with a choke hold wouldn't be that difficult if you know what you are doing.

We won't even get into building up someone's internal chi. Something I never bought into before, but back when I was taking classes two days a week, I could confidently say that I could knock someone out with a single punch. Fast forward several years and lifting heavly for the past two years consistently, I haven't been taking classes and am no where near as strong as I was before.

when I say "effective "with regard to MA. it is effective in helping to provide you with the skills needed to better defend yourself, in addition to providing a recreational outlet, and helping to further discipline yourself.

in a real life situation common sense would tell you, to try to be non confrontational. however given the same situation, you don’t want to be or feel completely defenseless. if someone is attempting to harm you, then you should be able to defend yourself in the most effective manner possible. the skills you master with MA, will provide you with the skills needed to better defend yourself.

• 1 month later...

I train at Renzo Gracie's

www.renzogracie.com

And don't let these naysayers get to you, it's well known that grapplers are better than "strikers" - take a look at the UFC - Couture, Ortiz, Liddell, Gracie family, etc.

However, the best would be to do BJJ, Muay Thai and regular wrestling. I believe that would be the best combo.

Grappling is great when you are in a caged area with referees but the only good it is in a real situation is by pulling your enemy on top of you to shield away from his buddies boots.

krav maga i am told would be the best to keep your ass out of trouble but i have not taken it.

I don't train, but I used to read Royce Gracies columns in Black Belt Magazine. He addressed the issue of grappling when you're trying to ward off more than one attacker. Basicly, he said if you're going up against 2 or more people who know how to fight then it really doesn't matter what style you study because chances are you're going to take a beating... As far as being on the ground in a street fight, I'm not sure if this is true or not but I heard that well over 90% of street fights end up on the ground at some point. If that's true then BJJ is definitely beneficial in a street setting...

Funny I never look / post here.. but I came here to ask

Does Anyone on CP do Capoeira ???

I finallly started my classes about a month ago.. and I'm still sore the next day... But I can feel a big change in my body weight....

I highly recomend it esp. compared to BJJ (which is quite different)...

and I speak from experience with two different belts (Kung-Fu & Karate-Do)

If you don't know what it iz then click the pic

capoeira.jpg

Guest brwneydtrouble

Hey B, yeah ive taken a few classes and I love it. I just haven't been able to get back to the gym because of the holiday season and I really miss it. I was soooo sore that I couldnt walk when I was taking it. You are so right, its awesome.