Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Review of Amika & DJ Lumin

patois

Headed back down to the SoBe scene tonight...and found it rather quiet. It was as if eight other people and I had booked Amika for our own private engagement. (Not quite, I wish!)

DJ Lumin had already ascended his post by the time I arrived, along with a group of about 5 people all communicating in sign language. How handy that must be - easy chatting no matter how loud the music gets.

Lumin's continuous set explored the different percussive nuances of house...it was quite lively, lush and energetic, the sort of vibe that definitely could have satisfied a large crowd if one had been present. We were ushered into solid deep house rhythms, with pleasing Middle Eastern and African flairs.

Three note themes recurred, one of which reminded me of the tune from Peter Gabriel's "Shock the Monkey" (from an artist fluent with world music). I liked the way downbeats were often contrasted.

Among the tracks were a house version of Queen's "Living On My Own," and a brief snatch of Corona's "The Rhythm of the Night." There was also a good deal of tribal chanting, as well as a song "I love to love you all the time...it's good..." (unidentified)

As empty as Amika was, I had a great time just enjoying the vibe and watching the sign language continue as tirelessly as the music. I do look forward to attending another CP congregation, however, wherever that may be next :)