Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Cover Letters for resumes....

iamme

I used to think it was understood to have a cover letter...

but the guy I'm dating e-mailed me his resume on Friday. This is a successful guy, who negotiates overseas deals for Ann Taylor...and guess what, no cover letter.

Of course he has one helluva stand out spectaular resume tho.... :bowdown:

UGH :( lol. I tried to write a funny cover letter from Wally Amos laid off and looking for a job from prnstar but Im too tired from the chicks last night :(

Oh well.

<centered>

Name

Address

Telephone / Fax

Email Address

Date

<left>

Mr. ...

Address

Re: Employment

Dear Mr .... :

I am writing you to inquire regarding potential full time employment with ...... as a .... . I currently .... student/employed at .... doing ..... . I believe that I would be a great asset to your company.

While at ..... school ... , I was ....... . There, I ....... . I also .....

Since school, I have worked with ... as a .... My duties have included ...

I am interested in meeting with you at your earliest convenience. I have enclosed a copy of my resume for your review.

Take care.

Sincerely,

asdfsafsd

Enclosure

----

The format can change. Thats a basic form.

how important are these fuckin things? ive never really payed enough attention to them but for the positions im applying to i think i need every advantage possible...any tips/comments/etc?

S_P_L_A_T_by_bren.gif

important imo... keep short and consice, its like a prelude, or a preface to your resume... btw can anyone recommend any really really really good resume builders in the nyc area~!?

important imo... keep short and consice, its like a prelude, or a preface to your resume... btw can anyone recommend any really really really good resume builders in the nyc area~!?

If i was there, I would do it for free. I was real good at doing resumes.

i think a cover letter, if it is TOO formatted, can actually hurt your chances, so be careful. sometimes it seems very forced, and if you dont know all that much about the position it can look amateur. same with the objective part of the resume. only include that if its very tailored to the job you are applying for, and DONT include it if basically says your objective is to "seek employment". lol. NO SHIT.

how important are these fuckin things? ive never really payed enough attention to them but for the positions im applying to i think i need every advantage possible...any tips/comments/etc?

S_P_L_A_T_by_bren.gif

bookmark this site:

http://www.vpul.upenn.edu/careerservices/wharton/wharugmain.html

i've it used it extensively throughout my job search.

btw i just got an offer from Lehman which i will probably take, :pint: to the job search being over.

iamme,

you def. need a cover letter..do not listen to what anyone says..

most people skim through it or do not even read it...but the effort alone makes you a more serious candidate..

i truly recommend 3 books for you..they are relatively cheap and worked wonders for me...

pick em up..you wont be disapointed...

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1580627935/qid=1102284104/sr=8-4/ref=pd_csp_4/104-8367036-1965512?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1580629385/qid=1102284104/sr=8-2/ref=pd_csp_2/104-8367036-1965512?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

also if u want the complete experience..

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1580627943/qid=1102284104/sr=8-3/ref=pd_csp_3/104-8367036-1965512?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

BUY THEM!

cover letter is very important. i write a unique one for each job i apply for. it is time consuming but i feel that employers will more likely hire someone who writes a letter, it shows you are serious and willing to put in the extra 10 minutes of time for the job.

it also depends if you have a contact person, the only time i wouldnt submit a cover letter is if i knew someone who was passing my resume to someone in HR, even in that case it would still look better if you had a letter.

well dont take my advice too seriously, i havent worked fulltiem in a while. i think the biggest thing is what field your in. if youre in a field that is not oversaturated you may be able to get work without a cover letter but in a field like graphics (the one i am in), every job gets 1000 resumes so you have to respond quickly and stand out.