Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Brooklyn Afraid Or Not

Lived in Brooklyn my whole life. Manhattan Beach and then Bay Ridge. It's not as crazy as the city (only NYC people call manhattan "the city" ever notice that?) but lots of fun to grow up in.

Lots of parks in brooklyn and real neighborhoods to grow up in with houses and yards. Just as culturally diverse as Manhattan with neighborhoods full of every culture in the world. Awesome places to eat, awesome places to drink, not as many good places to dance though.

Crime? If you live here you know where to go and where to not go. And places that were unsafe 10 years ago now have $1600 a month rents and $500,000 houses.

The whole gangsta thing is an image, and an image from people who grew up here in the 80s. Its amazing how so many of the hardcore rappers managed to live to sell records, if half the stuff they rap about were true they would have been killed at least 10 times over each. :)

And untill about 100 years ago, Brooklyn was considered a stand alone city. It was then made a borough. Also realize that in almost all of the rest of the country, cities are smaller (population wise) than even a neighborhood in brooklyn. I remember when I went to college in Oneonta, it is called a city yet had a population of like 2000 people and was smaller in size than midwood.

Lived in Brooklyn my whole life. Manhattan Beach and then Bay Ridge. It's not as crazy as the city (only NYC people call manhattan "the city" ever notice that?) but lots of fun to grow up in.

Lots of parks in brooklyn and real neighborhoods to grow up in with houses and yards. Just as culturally diverse as Manhattan with neighborhoods full of every culture in the world. Awesome places to eat, awesome places to drink, not as many good places to dance though.Crime? If you live here you know where to go and where to not go. And places that were unsafe 10 years ago now have $1600 a month rents and $500,000 houses.

your right on the monthly rent and houses but bk is slowly rising on places to dance.Velocity is a new spot in Coney Island there is also a little spot on fulton thats not bad and in Bay ridge the "City" is now over rated with so many commercial spots instead of somewhere to have a good time and dance. :)

brother is damn right....grewup in dyker heights moved to bayridge for a while, very nice neighborhood...except for those punk lebanese kids hangin out on the streets and stupid ol irish retards.....but thats the fun part living with those folks....damn i still miss those good ol summer days...lemme tell ya, summer in brooklyn is the best....

I remember we used to play out at fort hamilton high,....or sometimes go all the way upto midwood ave K and play in the football stadium in that school there...shouting shalom to every jewish guy we came across....fun ol times.....some of the best days of my life man....

Lots of parks in brooklyn and real neighborhoods to grow up in with houses and yards. Just as culturally diverse as Manhattan with neighborhoods full of every culture in the world. Awesome places to eat, awesome places to drink, not as many good places to dance though.Crime? If you live here you know where to go and where to not go. And places that were unsafe 10 years ago now have $1600 a month rents and $500,000 houses.

your right on the monthly rent and houses but bk is slowly rising on places to dance.Velocity is a new spot in Coney Island there is also a little spot on fulton thats not bad and in Bay ridge the "City" is now over rated with so many commercial spots instead of somewhere to have a good time and dance. :)

unfortunately now that the crime rate has dropped, large chunks of brooklyn are not affordable for most native new yorkers.

cost of progress, i guess.

but things are getting worse on a daily basis. I work in sales and drive all around the 5 boroughs and things are not like 5 yrs ago

I saw some kid get beat down right in the middle of flatbush by kings plaza week or 2 ago.

I remember when I went to college in Oneonta, it is called a city yet had a population of like 2000 people and was smaller in size than midwood.

SUCO REPRESENTT!!!! nah i think oneonta has a population of 15000... with about 9,000 being college kids... 3000 being kids who failed out and dont want to leave the little paradise of oneonta.. and the rest are definitely trahsie yokels... with a few professors/doctors thrown in to the mix...

what year did you graduate by the way??? i was may 03...

SUCO REPRESENTT!!!! nah i think oneonta has a population of 15000... with about 9,000 being college kids... 3000 being kids who failed out and dont want to leave the little paradise of oneonta.. and the rest are definitely trahsie yokels... with a few professors/doctors thrown in to the mix...

what year did you graduate by the way??? i was may 03...

HAHAHA CITY OF THE HILLS

Why Do So Many assume That Brooklyn Is This Violent City?!

Any Suggestions?

just guess but because of the statistics~!?

http://www.bedc.org/statistics/crime_02.htm

but also perception, many ppl that are from brooklyn tend to make it seem like its "hardcore" or "Gangstah" and the others make it seem like its "connected" or involved with the "MOB" all in all who cares who gives a shit...

• 3 weeks later...

I love bay ridge, def the best place I've seen in bk.

I used to assume it was a dumpy ass slum full of losers (the way it was portrayed in Saturday Night Fever). It's not like that at all (at least the places I went to).

if u think bk has a bad rep..queens (except forest hills) has a worse one, even worse is the bronx. you bk ppl have it good. ppl associate the thick ny accent with queens, rarely bk, hence bk ppl are considered 'more intelligent'. I heard that from lots of ppl, too much stereotyping.

good places, bad places, all nyc is awesome

Bayridge Brooklyn Is The Place
Bayridge Brooklyn Is The Place