Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Living in Astoria

nycguy420

Does anyone here have an apartment in Astoria? I'm thinking about moving over there because it's close to the city but a lot more affordable than actually living in Manhattan. I feel like I'll get a lot more space for my money over there and my commute to work will be so much shorter than now. Can anyone tell me how the neighborhood is? What is the age group and type of people that live there? Is it all Greek, or is that just a rumor? I want to live somewhere were there is diversifacation, definately not a neighborhood where everyone is of the same ethnicity and background. How's the parking? I'm in the process of getting a new car and I am not willing to give up my car. Is it gonna be a pain in the ass to find parking? Do I have to worry about someone breaking into my car? Do you think it is a good neighborhood for someone in there mid twenties to live in? Thanks. All input is appreciated.

Does anyone here have an apartment in Astoria? I'm thinking about moving over there because it's close to the city but a lot more affordable than actually living in Manhattan. I feel like I'll get a lot more space for my money over there and my commute to work will be so much shorter than now. Can anyone tell me how the neighborhood is? What is the age group and type of people that live there? Is it all Greek, or is that just a rumor? I want to live somewhere were there is diversifacation, definately not a neighborhood where everyone is of the same ethnicity and background. How's the parking? I'm in the process of getting a new car and I am not willing to give up my car. Is it gonna be a pain in the ass to find parking? Do I have to worry about someone breaking into my car? Do you think it is a good neighborhood for someone in there mid twenties to live in? Thanks. All input is appreciated.

i was contemplating the same thing... however its not my cup of tea YET, i think it still has some gentrification to go through. shopping for groceries and etc. isnt as convenient as some neighborhoods and the savings in rent doesnt really equate to the amount of space youre getting... however i still am considering moving their but possibly in two years after seeing how it pans out... i do know ppl who moved there, and love it...

Coming from a Jersey girl who relocated to Queens...I personally LOVE it!

I live in heart of the Ditmars section...and it's always bustling. EVERYTHING you need is within a couple blocks...the train is right there...buses and the whole nine always accessible.

It's also very convenient as far as being close to the city. Getting to work in midtown usually takes me a half hour door to door.

The neighborhoods are friendly, and up by me yes, it's primarily Greek. A lot of other areas are very diverse and just as friendly.

I'm very happy in Astoria.

Coming from a Jersey girl who relocated to Queens...I personally LOVE it!

I live in heart of the Ditmars section...and it's always bustling. EVERYTHING you need is within a couple blocks...the train is right there...buses and the whole nine always accessible.

It's also very convenient as far as being close to the city. Getting to work in midtown usually takes me a half hour door to door.

The neighborhoods are friendly, and up by me yes, it's primarily Greek. A lot of other areas are very diverse and just as friendly.

I'm very happy in Astoria.

geez..i must have run into you at blockbuster on 31 st at some point..

also..astoria has the best street shishkabobs in the world..

mmmmm

geez..i must have run into you at blockbuster on 31 st at some point..

also..astoria has the best street shishkabobs in the world..

mmmmm

nah...I have netflix...I never go to blockbuster. I do however, workout at The Rock...:laugh2:...which is close enough.

My apt is on 38th and Ditmars.

nah...I have netflix...I never go to blockbuster. I do however, workout at The Rock...:laugh2:...which is close enough.

My apt is on 38th and Ditmars.

How is "the Rock". That is another expense I forgot to consider. Are there a lot of choices for gym memberships in Astoria. Right now I pay $300 a year at the gym in my neighborhood and would like something around that price range. I heard the Rock is really expensive but the people I know that work out there say that they love it and its worth the money. But then again they also make a lot more money than I do. Everyone seems to have good opinions about Astoria so I think that will be the main neighborhood I am going to look for an apartment in. How's the parking situation in Astoria? I am going to bring my car with me so I am curious if its gonna be a bitch finding parking every night. I'm pretty sure they have alternate side of the street parking rules over there. Does anyone here that lives in Astoria have a car? Is it a pain in the ass finding parking?

How is "the Rock". That is another expense I forgot to consider. Are there a lot of choices for gym memberships in Astoria. Right now I pay $300 a year at the gym in my neighborhood and would like something around that price range. I heard the Rock is really expensive but the people I know that work out there say that they love it and its worth the money. But then again they also make a lot more money than I do. Everyone seems to have good opinions about Astoria so I think that will be the main neighborhood I am going to look for an apartment in. How's the parking situation in Astoria? I am going to bring my car with me so I am curious if its gonna be a bitch finding parking every night. I'm pretty sure they have alternate side of the street parking rules over there. Does anyone here that lives in Astoria have a car? Is it a pain in the ass finding parking?

I don't drive anymore, but I don't think parking is too bad...at least not around me. No one ever complains about not finding a spot.

As for the rock...it's 80 bucks or so a month. A lil' more than the norm, but worth it, IMO. It's great, clean, machines are all brand new and maintained very well. Staff is good, trainers kick ass, and there's always someone around to answer your questions.

Astoria SUCKS.

Moved here about a year ago and i Hate it!

If you like greasy greek guys blasting KTU everywhere you go, and unemployed actors hanging out on every block, then it is your cup of tea.

There is really no vibe, the subway takes FOREVER to come in the winter, and everybody goes to bed at like 11:00.....I would choose brooklyn in a heartbeat, and i cant wait to move back.

The only plus side is that there are many good looking girls around here.

Astoria SUCKS.

Moved here about a year ago and i Hate it!

If you like greasy greek guys blasting KTU everywhere you go, and unemployed actors hanging out on every block, then it is your cup of tea.

There is really no vibe, the subway takes FOREVER to come in the winter, and everybody goes to bed at like 11:00.....I would choose brooklyn in a heartbeat, and i cant wait to move back.

The only plus side is that there are many good looking girls around here.

the demographics are less than impressive to say the least... until some more big business moves in i dont see anything happening there... unfortunately that has been the problem since its inception... when they first started building astoria they needed more money and funding so they decided to name it after jacob astor unfortunately they never received the amount they expected and things didnt pan out as expected... in any event long story short i think its a great place to live just not yet...

a lot of ppl still with the blast your music, clubbing is life, versace and bling bling forever mentality... and youre absolutely right there isnt a vibe there... its just like every man for himself and everyone does their own thing...

but on the plus side, the commute and location are great just not during rush hour, rent is super affordable, and the kebab guys are the best around... steinway (anthony by eckerd is the best one IMO...) and the girls are amazing... a lot of lounges thats a plus as well... restaurants are really good too... imo the place just needs to clean up its act a lil, i wonder if anyone can find numbers on crime and etc from the local precinct there and see how it compares to other neighborhoods im really curious...

anthony... the one infront of eckerd not edwards... its 31st i think or 30th... i forget... but whatever hes the man IMO... theres another one that was featured on bobby flays show, but i forgot what corner he was on... supposedly hes the best in town according to the "locals..."

anthony... the one infront of eckerd not edwards... its 31st i think or 30th... i forget... but whatever hes the man IMO... theres another one that was featured on bobby flays show, but i forgot what corner he was on... supposedly hes the best in town according to the "locals..."

the one on the corner of 31st n bway is the man