Clubplanet Nightlife Community

how long do you have to go out w/ someone before you get married (& other questions)?

weyes

i just want other people's opinions on this. it came up today because a 24-year-old co-worker of mine said that he wants to propose to his girlfriend of 2 years. they "broke up" last week but are back together, and now he wants to pop the question. another co-worker said she thinks that a couple must go out for 5 years before they get married; i don't have set years, exactly, but i think that knowing someone for 2 years is a little early... my problem with it, though, is that they've never lived together, and i think it's just practical and important to know if you can live with someone before you sign papers that say you must.

what do you all think?

...and weyes, studies have shown that couples that live together before marriage have a higher divorce rate than those that don't...
i challenge you to not only produce those studies, but to produce enough and enough from around the world to prove that that is so.

one study has only a few over 3,300 couples (and is 12 years old), one is from 1989, one is a right-wing website that also happens to be dedicated to one town in tennessee, and the last is only 712 couples. i am not shifting towards your opinion at all.

one study has only a few over 3,300 couples (and is 12 years old), one is from 1989, one is a right-wing website that also happens to be dedicated to one town in tennessee, and the last is only 712 couples. i am not shifting towards your opinion at all.

ok, here's a study conducted by penn state university that is as recent as 2003 and backs up my point :hoparound:

http://www.pop.psu.edu/searchable/press/aug403.htm

why don't you provide some studies that support what you're trying to say? so far you've done nothing but stated your opinion, it's time you provided some hard evidence, weyes...

there's no evidence to say that the reason why marriages in any study failed was because these people lived together first.

you're right in that correlation doesn't imply causation, but the fact that so many studies have come to the same conclusion should be enough to at least convince you that living together before marriage isn't such a good idea.

to each their own. i always think it is a little bit idiotic when people marry after only knowing eachother for a few weeks/ months. i guess it may be some sort of desparation or maybe they really just feel strongly bout being with the other person but i personally wouldnt do that,. i have been with my boyfriend for over a year and i cant say that i know we would be happily married, so i guess it depends on each independent situation.

IMO... it will just feel right.. it doesn't matter.. for instance... my life..

I moved here with an ex.. we dated 2 years before we moved here together... and then i broke up with him after 1.5 years living with him.. then i was single for about 7 months and now i found someone competely right for me... and we are moving in together.. ! Thought i would never settle down again for awhile but I am...

You just know... marriage though is scary because people make it out to be a huge thing... what does it really mean to be married to someone? nowadays all marriage means is how big the rock is on the woman's finger.. well at least here in LA... I could never go big.. I just want a simple wedding.. elope for goodness sake.. but I would never get married just because I got pregnant or for other silly reasons...

What I would like is to never actually be married but be bonded together with eachother's soul's, love, and emotions.... I don't need to prove to anyone that I'm in love by a diamond...

and I would never want to divorce.. just seems like there's soo much hatred.. ... won't do it...

but anyways i'm going in all different tangents.. gotta love a few beers after work!... :pint:

:love:

Just be happy... If the person you are with bores you or annoys you or just makes you cringe sometimes.. don't carry on... follow your instincts... they're usually right!

...What I would like is to never actually be married but be bonded together with eachother's soul's, love, and emotions.... I don't need to prove to anyone that I'm in love by a diamond...
my friends, megan and jeff, knew that they'd be together forever, but they decided to get married because it was a great excuse to throw a huge party that'd include everyone they love. it was a 3-day affair, casual, a blast. otherwise, the "marriage" label just helped with some legal this-and-thats. they are just as happy and in just the same ways as in 1995.