philippio

1. Johnny Fiasco feat. DJ Heather – ‘In The Best Mood’

2. Ben Camp & Marc George – ‘Tripped Up’

3. SNS Project feat Lola Robinson – ‘Get Up’ [Rulers of the Deep Mix]

5. Miguel Migs – ‘Feel It’ [Deeper Mood Mix]

6. Kaskade – ‘Safe’ [Migs Salted Dub]

7. Thompson Project feat. Gary L. – ‘Messin With My Mind’ [Jazz-N-Groove Dub]

8. Hollow Legs – ‘Already’

9. Alexkid feat. Lissette Alea – ‘Don't Hide It’ [Josh Wink's Acid Pussy Interpretation]

10. Da Sunlounge – ‘So Good’ [Jazz Lounge]

11. Ken ECB & Oliver Desmet – ‘End Up’ [Demarkus Lewis & Olivier Desmet Remix]

12. Lawnchair Generals – ‘The Truth’

13. Brett Johnson – ‘Ninety Five’

14. Jesse Saunders – ‘On & On’ [stones Throwback]

15. Rennie Pilgrim – ‘Go Back’

I want to share some thoughts with all of you regarding another mix that I heard for the first time about a month ago. Alan Stenback (www.djalanstenback.com) has definitely made a great impression on me as a dj. I think his first set I heard was the one that he mixed for Lust4House (www.lust4house.com). However, his more recent creation, entitled ‘From Dusk Till Dawn’, has stirred enough aural interest and emotion in me, so that I wanted to make sure a musical journey this eclectic, does not pass us by overlooked.

Calm and collected, Alan gets the musical juices flowing with an air of coolness that only a Johnny Fiasco track could conjure up. With lush vocals by none other than DJ Heather (my favorite dj), intertwined with xylophone and guitar accompaniment, I could hardly have expected a better opening track. Flowing smoothly into an atmospherically ornate ‘Tripped Up’ by Ben Camp and Marc George, percussion yields to airy flanges and piano’esque chords.

Drowning in a healthy bass-line, the Estonian duo better known as Rulers of the Deep have given SNS Project’s ‘Get Up’ the “Midas touch†with this remix on none other than Ovum Records resplendent with the silky voice of Lola Robinson.

West coast house champion dj/producer and Naked Music’s beloved Miguel Migs chimes in with a dubby ‘Feel It’. Although not a brand spanking new release, this record definitely ensures a groovy pace and definitely brings back fond memories of the first time I heard it played by H_Foundation at Centro-Fly.

I would have liked to hear a longer overlap into Kaskade’s ‘Safe’ (especially since Alan chose the Migs dub) and I think the amalgamation would have been quite pleasing. With so many Om releases under his belt, and having mixed the fourth installment of the west coast imprint’s ‘San Francisco Sessions’, one can hardly wonder why his tracks can feel at home in so many dj’s sets. Case in point, ‘Safe’ probes briskly into soulful house territory following the first major break at approximately the 24:00 minute mark. The culprit? Thompson Project’s ‘Messin’ With My Mind’ albeit in a Jazz-N-Groove dub interpretation loaded with male vocal echoes.

Again, the transition was somewhat abrupt (but beatmatched nevertheless). Maybe this was the intended effect though, as the bass intensifies and we are carried into a more techy but still bumpin’ ‘Already’ by Hollow Legs. This track has that characteristic old school “stretched rubber band†effect but voices abound! Continuity flows perfectly from here onto Alexkid’s ‘Don’t Hide It’ especially since Alan wisely selected a Josh Wink acid house mix. I find this track particularly interesting because it melodically fuses that tinged acid flavor with a sharp female vocal (slightly reminiscent of Moloko’s ‘Pure Pleasure Seeker’). As the acid gives way to swank-inducing bumpy house music, we are treated to Da Sunlounge’s ‘So Good’. This production duo seems to be heating up house dj’s record boxes as of late and it’s no wonder why. Next up, one funky half of EastCoastBoogiemen, in collaboration with Belgian producer and Amenti frontman Olivier Desmet, drop the bomb with ‘End Up’. Classic ECB dopeness with echoes that may hint at a Grant Dell & Gareth Oxby creation, this is, in my opinion, the biggest track on Alan’s mix.

The transitions towards the end of the set have certainly gotten tighter, which is rather welcome but the track selection has impressed me from start to finish. So, Lawnchair Generals are up next on Dizzy’s Lowdown imprint. Lots of arse-shaking to this little number, ‘The Truth’ from the Seattle production duo who are as naughty in the studio as they are behind the 1200’s. With four original releases currently on the shelves and seven remixes, Peter Christianson and Carlos Mendoza are two dj’s you don’t want to miss this WMC.

It seems Alan got bit by the funkybug halfway through this mix. Brett Johnson’s ‘Ninety Five’ will have you jacking your body ceaselessly. And the infectious bassline scurries easily into another big break at the 69:00 mark on Jesse Saunders’ ‘On & On.’ Although slightly repetitious, the piano element is certainly welcome in any house mix. This may be Alan’s winter 2005 mix but this track certainly reminds me of summertime.

tanzen_015.gif

Alan closes out the mix with a bang by way of Rennie Pilgrim’s ‘Go Back’. The saxophone carries nicely to the end of the set. This is another slice of summer, served chilled and ready to please! :D

I hope you will not simply take my word for it. Take an hour and listen to this mix. You may be inclined to dismiss it at first as “just another house mix†but I can guarantee that it will grow on you. Chilled at times but furiously bumpin’ otherwise, it had my needle pegged at 105 mph by track 9. You won’t be getting any shut-eye here! tanzen_033.gif

Download 'From Dusk Till Dawn' here (right click and "save target as")