Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Friday @ Crobar...

philippio

Well, it took Obby and Joey a little while to get everything set up but once they did, that little room in the back got packed faster than you could say "intelligent sounds attract intelligent people." A lot faster! Naturally, I could not identify a single track (sad to say, it was proven to me that I'm not intelligent at all). But I had a great time. From my traditional stunt of knocking funk's Johnny Black out of his hand to the fresh shirts that Obby was handing out, the "fun factor" of this party is telling me that these guys are doing Crobar a great favor by taking over the back room on fridays.

Until Obby and Joey set up, we were wandering around the club and I noticed that Bad Boy Bill was not using the club's standard equipment. Pod told me that he does not use a rotary Rane and so it's easier just to put his preferred equipment on a cart and roll it out in front of what is normally the dj booth. All I have to say is that I am thankful for DJ's like Derrick Carter, Heather, Halo, Frankie Knuckles, Johnny Fiasco and Paul Johnson because if Chicago had to rely on Bad Boy Bill, the city would be FUCKED! His set was just awful. Mindless beats, lack of breakdowns and just awful track selection and programming were the order of the day. The dancefloor was a haven for juiceheads. So I figured, well at least we can wait in the VIP where they were playing hip-hop. I am quite amazed that a club like Crobar cannot find a dj in all of Miami that can spin hip-hop properly. The turntables were off, and whoever was spinning was using CDJ that don't let you scratch. What the fuck is the point? It was all commercial hip-hop (the crap that you can hear on Power 96 and 99 Jamz).

The SOTU party is going to be Crobar's saviour on a friday night. I wouldn't be surprised if they eventually move into the main VIP area (to accomodate more intelligent people). I could certainly tell that Obby was enjoying his birthday on this night! It's a bit hard for me to describe what Joey and Obby were spinning. I would definitely not call it progressive house but it also wasn't just UK breaks. Most tracks were somewhere in that grey area that is sometimes referred to as progressive breaks. I was very happy to see that they were not using CDJ's. The music was definitely danceable and energetic. Suffice it to say that there was a decent CP presence. My only complaint was that the sound could have been a bit better. It's understandable that Crobar would not invest a lot of money on a big sound system for that room but maybe this is something that the SOTU guys can push for. Also, the AC could be cranked up a bit more next time.

All in all, a great inaugural party for SOTU's new residency. Nice to see so many familiar faces. I'll definitely be back! :D

...so it's easier just to put his preferred equipment on a cart and roll it out in front of what is normally the dj booth. All I have to say is that I am thankful for DJ's like Derrick Carter, Heather, Halo, Frankie Knuckles, Johnny Fiasco and Paul Johnson because if Chicago had to rely on Bad Boy Bill, the city would be FUCKED!

LOL! :rofl:

Thanks for the review... :)

Well, it took Obby and Joey a little while to get everything set up but once they did, that little room in the back got packed faster than you could say "intelligent sounds attract intelligent people." A lot faster! Naturally, I could not identify a single track (sad to say, it was proven to me that I'm not intelligent at all). But I had a great time. From my traditional stunt of knocking funk's Johnny Black out of his hand to the fresh shirts that Obby was handing out, the "fun factor" of this party is telling me that these guys are doing Crobar a great favor by taking over the back room on fridays.

Until Obby and Joey set up, we were wandering around the club and I noticed that Bad Boy Bill was not using the club's standard equipment. Pod told me that he does not use a rotary Rane and so it's easier just to put his preferred equipment on a cart and roll it out in front of what is normally the dj booth. All I have to say is that I am thankful for DJ's like Derrick Carter, Heather, Halo, Frankie Knuckles, Johnny Fiasco and Paul Johnson because if Chicago had to rely on Bad Boy Bill, the city would be FUCKED! His set was just awful. Mindless beats, lack of breakdowns and just awful track selection and programming were the order of the day. The dancefloor was a haven for juiceheads. So I figured, well at least we can wait in the VIP where they were playing hip-hop. I am quite amazed that a club like Crobar cannot find a dj in all of Miami that can spin hip-hop properly. The turntables were off, and whoever was spinning was using CDJ that don't let you scratch. What the fuck is the point? It was all commercial hip-hop (the crap that you can hear on Power 96 and 99 Jamz).

The SOTU party is going to be Crobar's saviour on a friday night. I wouldn't be surprised if they eventually move into the main VIP area (to accomodate more intelligent people). I could certainly tell that Obby was enjoying his birthday on this night! It's a bit hard for me to describe what Joey and Obby were spinning. I would definitely not call it progressive house but it also wasn't just UK breaks. Most tracks were somewhere in that grey area that is sometimes referred to as progressive breaks. I was very happy to see that they were not using CDJ's. The music was definitely danceable and energetic. Suffice it to say that there was a decent CP presence. My only complaint was that the sound could have been a bit better. It's understandable that Crobar would not invest a lot of money on a big sound system for that room but maybe this is something that the SOTU guys can push for. Also, the AC could be cranked up a bit more next time.

All in all, a great inaugural party for SOTU's new residency. Nice to see so many familiar faces. I'll definitely be back! :D

Wasn't expecting this but nice to read anyway. Glad you had a good time like I did. It was great seeing everyone smiling and dancing. That itself is my drug !!!!!!!

great review, phil... i had so much fun on friday... ultra vip room was tiny and there were minor sound problems in the beginning, but vibe was off tha chizzain... joey played exactly what i've been playing in the past couple of months: everything from nasty habersham/numinous tunage to tribal sounds of d-formation... i missed last few minutes of his set and obby's opener due to intoxication and bumping into people that i haven't seen in ages... we came back upstairs to catch the rest of obby's set and were not dissapointed... dr sotu dropped some ill breaks and kept the crowd jamming... i wanted to stay till the end, but we had to leave early because our friends had a table at amika... til next time i guess... thanks for inviting us, obby...

:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

I noticed that Bad Boy Bill was not using the club's standard equipment. Pod told me that he does not use a rotary Rane and so it's easier just to put his preferred equipment on a cart and roll it out in front of what is normally the dj booth. All I have to say is that I am thankful for DJ's like Derrick Carter, Heather, Halo, Frankie Knuckles, Johnny Fiasco and Paul Johnson because if Chicago had to rely on Bad Boy Bill, the city would be FUCKED! His set was just awful. Mindless beats, lack of breakdowns and just awful track selection and programming were the order of the day. The dancefloor was a haven for juiceheads. So I figured, well at least we can wait in the VIP where they were playing hip-hop.

I'm not quite sure I understand what your saying here...Do you know why he doesn't use the Rane or roatary mixers...But besides that, you left behind the DJ booth when Steve Smooth took over... Now Steve's set was horrible but to say BBB was awful...Mindless beats? Just cause you don't like a little harder house, doesn't mean it's awful...and trust me, if BBB wanted to play Light Funky Deep tech, he would blow half of those DJ's you mentioned out of the water. Why, because if you had watched him on the deck's on Friday, he remixed LIVE every single track he played. Your reviews are good but you show a lot of your personal preference in them...IMO of course.

BTW he uses the 600 because he has that mixer down to a T. To scartch and juggle and do other technical techniques, you can't use the Rotary.