Clubplanet Nightlife Community

trans fat?

clubbingirl

worst fat..fried foods..

it is a man made fat so your body has a hard time processing it..

u can identify trans fatty foods by looking at labels - watch out for "partially hydrogenated vegetable oil, soybean oil"; etc..

also, take the total fat content and subract saturated and unsaturated fat and you will know the trans fat content

in a year or so..all food will have to state their trans fat content by law.

I will keep this extremely short b/c I am tired

trans fat is short for TRANS unsaturated fatty acids.

There are two basic categories of fats. Saturated and unsaturated fat. A few years back it was thought that saturated was bad and unsaturated was good.

If you have even a very basic chem background, this is very simple and easy to understand.

The sat is bad b/c the Carbon - Carbon bonds join at 109 degrees and a long chain will form a zig zag. This makes two molecules of this easy to stack or stick to each other. This stacking is what clogs arteries.

Recently researchers have found that not all types of unsaturated fats are good.

There are two types of unsaturated. CIS and TRANS. I do not want to go into the molecular structure of the two compounds but basically the double bond arrangment in the CIS molecule does NOT allow the fat molecules to stack to it will not clog arteries. However, the TRANS configuration is more prone to stacking than even saturated fats, so this type of fat is worse than saturated.

Also, not only does the CIS not stack, but if it is taken into the blood stream it will bind with existing fat in the arteries and help remove it from the system.

Nautica

btw - I am very tired so I am not going to reveiw what I just wrote.

Trans fatty acids, also known as trans fat, is an artery-clogging fat that is formed when vegetable oils are hardened into margarine or shortening. It is found in many other foods besides margarine and shortening, however, including fried foods like french fries and fried chicken, doughnuts, cookies, pastries and crackers. In the United States, typical french fries have about 40 percent trans fatty acids and many popular cookies and crackers range from 30 percent to 50 percent trans fatty acids. Doughnuts have about 35 percent to 40 percent trans fatty acids.

Trans fat is known to increase blood levels of low density lipoprotein (LDL), or "bad" cholesterol, while lowering levels of high density lipoprotein (HDL), known as "good" cholesterol. It can also cause major clogging of arteries, type 2 diabetes and other serious health problems, and was found to increase the risk of heart disease. Many food companies use trans fat instead of oil because it reduces cost, extends storage life of products and can improve flavor and texture.