Clubplanet Nightlife Community

mourning in miami

mister ben

mourning signed with the heat again.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2002503

MIAMI -- Alonzo Mourning once was larger than life, the Miami Heat's biggest star. Now, even he acknowledges those days are gone.

0845.jpgMourning Yet Mourning also steadfastly believes he can still play at a championship-caliber level. And now, at last, he's back with Miami and ready to resume his past quest -- delivering the Heat's first NBA title.

The seven-time All-Star center signed a contract Tuesday to rejoin Miami, the team with whom he spent eight previous seasons -- a stint twice interrupted by kidney disease. He's expected to make about $325,000 for the rest of the season, a prorated share of the $1.1 million minimum veteran contract.

"It's definitely been a long time coming," the 35-year-old Mourning said after a two-hour practice and 30 minutes of extra shooting drills Tuesday. "It just feels good, feels good to be back home, having everything finalized. I've been here for the past three months training, just waiting, being patient."

Mourning should be in uniform Thursday when Miami visits New Jersey. He averaged 10.4 points and 7.1 rebounds in 18 games for the Nets earlier this season.

To clear a roster spot, Miami waived forward Wesley Person, who played only 27 minutes since Dec. 4 and was displeased with his diminished role. Person may soon sign with the Denver Nuggets.

Teammates gave high marks after Mourning's first full workout.

"He's just going to make us a tougher team to beat," said center Shaquille O'Neal.

"When Shaq goes to the bench, we don't have that presence," added guard Dwyane Wade. "Plus, he's very strong. It's going to be great."

Miami (42-16) entered Tuesday five games ahead of Detroit in the Eastern Conference, and 9½ games up on Washington in the Southeast Division. Miami hasn't been shy about tweaking its roster -- last week, another Heat alum, guard Steve Smith, was acquired from Charlotte.

Smith enhances Miami's perimeter rotation, but adding the 6-foot-10, 261-pound Mourning could create serious matchup problems for opponents -- especially if he and O'Neal are on the court together.

"He's still a very good defender and shot blocker. ... Those are the two main areas I look for, his defense and his rebounding," Heat coach Stan Van Gundy said. "As far as minutes and that, or role, or who's going to come off the bench first in the long run, I don't have any idea."

Van Gundy said he won't immediately thrust Mourning into a key role in the rotation.

"When we play on Thursday, I'm going to go to the guys we've been going to who have won games," he said.

The Mourning deal was long expected, but was delayed by negotiations with Person on a buyout.

Mourning -- who has career averages of 19.8 points and 9.6 rebounds -- came to Miami in a trade with the Charlotte Hornets before the 1995-96 season. The Heat later signed him to a $105 million, seven-year deal.

He helped Miami to four 50-win seasons, including a 61-21 mark in 1996-97, losing to Chicago in the East finals -- a playoff round the Heat hasn't seen since.

not sure about unstoppable. mourning is not the decisive force he once was. either way even at his best he could not take the heat to the finals

what mourning brings is an incredible team spirit and morale to the team

i for one am glad hes back and hes a great addition to the Heat

not sure about unstoppable. mourning is not the decisive force he once was. either way even at his best he could not take the heat to the finals

what mourning brings is an incredible team spirit and morale to the team

i for one am glad hes back and hes a great addition to the Heat

:stupid:

Alonzo Mourning is irrelevant, his days as a sport's hero are over, I can't stand the guy with his little "I'm sorry honey" face...I don't give a fuck if he can put a ball through a metal ring up high on a pole...he's still a weak character.

:)

:type:

I think the addtion of Zo and Smith will be beneficial for the heat especially come playoff time. Smith has a great 3 point shot and is a big guard, Zo i think still has game in him and he's definitely in good shape and the heat can use him for blocking and rebounding purposes but I still think with the squad we have we have to make it atleast to the Eastern Finals.... :beer:

:type:

I think the addtion of Zo and Smith will be beneficial for the heat especially come playoff time. Smith has a great 3 point shot and is a big guard, Zo i think still has game in him and he's definitely in good shape and the heat can use him for blocking and rebounding purposes but I still think with the squad we have we have to make it atleast to the Eastern Finals.... :beer:

Have a cigar!

cigar%20box%20with%20art.gif

:)

he's a whiner.

if he doesnt like the moves the team he is on, he whines about being unhappy. really, the problem with most teams he is on is him.

Although that may be true, Zo never whined while here in Miami, even with a less than stellar team that they used to have. they might not have been the best players we have had, but thy were the scrappiest and thats what kept them going. After the trades all of the players went their separate ways and did absolutely nothing for their respective teams.

Keep in mind, Zo is coming back as a backup for PF or Center, and Steve Smith has some sick outside shooting...I remember when i first saw him play for the heat a long time ago, he may be old but that guy can shoot. he gives the team what Wes Person could give (perimeter presence) and could not give (better defense and better control under pressure).

Even with this team they have now, without those two, they are a force to be reckoned with.

:bowdown:

yeah and then he burnt miami by coming back and not giving them a discount, even after they had to absorb his contract for the years he was out...and then he goes to the nets(by getting his friend j. kidd to blackmail the nets into giving him a deal), gets way more than he should have....whines his way to the raptors, and gets them to pay 9 million and release him.

he isnt worth shit. and will probably not play with any effect.

he is a cancer in the bench.

i hope the brooklyn nets whoop that assssssss.