Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Audioslave To Rock Cuba

funketeer

Audioslave.jpg

Super group Audioslave are set to become the first U.S. rock band to perform outdoors in Cuba, sharing the stage with their Cuban music counterparts.

The group, currently touring in support of their upcoming sophomore release, "Out of Exile," accommodated their touring schedule to be able to give a special performance May 6 at La Tribuna in Havana, Cuba. The concert will be free and open to the Cuban public. In the past, the open air venue has accommodated up to 1 million people.

The performance, the first open air concert by a U.S. rock band in Cuba, was authorized by the U.S. Treasury Department and the Instituto Cubano de la Musica. The effort represents an opportunity to share with the Cuban youth the free expression of music that embodies rock and roll.

"Kids are the same all over the world, and we are extremely proud and excited to bring rock 'n' roll to the youth of Cuba. It's all about the music, and free expression of music crosses all barriers. This is a rare opportunity, and we are grateful and honored to have the support of both countries," said Audioslave.

The band will be in Havana May 4-7, interacting with the Cuban youth and the Cuban musical artists. Interscope/Epic as well as Done and Dusted, a U.K. film production company, are producing the event with the Instituto Cubano de la Musica.

Audioslave_2003.jpg

:rock:

:aright:

I would actually love to fly down for this!

a friend almost went with them to cuba, it's going to be documented and the rest of the world is going to see cuban youth rocking to audoslave...I don't know if anyone here has seen these guy play, they are that good.

Half of Audioslave is Chris Cornell on voice from Soundgarden and the musicians are all from Rage Against The Machine, the most politically charged band of the nineties, the most political :eek: (that's their claim to fame) this has potential to be a historic event, it is already is by default but we have to wait until the music starts, see what happens...it's cool, it's going to be a good show.

Wow. That is something.

I've got a good friend, Kiril, originally from Boston I believe. Met him at one of the first P:M Sessions parties at Lola, when he had arrived to Miami to work in the studio with the guys from Big DJ Little Club, Josh and Steven.

Kiril had done a few trips to the island, and had got together with Cubans who play the roots afro drums. They combined with him, making house music from his lap top. He documented the trips, in order to present a side of Cuba not seen by none of us. True underground HOUSE MUSIC house parties. Illegal btw.

With this group of drum and conga players he travelled to Europe a couple times, playing in small clubs, which he also documented. He showed me the 30 minute video and was on th eworks for another trip to complement the footage and finish the documentary.

Btw ... those Cubans in the footage LOVE house music.

Last I know from Kiril is the day Chris Fortier played at Nerve, got him in the booth and he handed a vynil to Chris, which was later put on rotation on the Balance Record Pool.

MD

Wow. That is something.

I've got a good friend, Kiril, originally from Boston I believe. Met him at one of the first P:M Sessions parties at Lola, when he had arrived to Miami to work in the studio with the guys from Big DJ Little Club, Josh and Steven.

Kiril had done a few trips to the island, and had got together with Cubans who play the roots afro drums. They combined with him, making house music from his lap top. He documented the trips, in order to present a side of Cuba not seen by none of us. True underground HOUSE MUSIC house parties. Illegal btw.

With this group of drum and conga players he travelled to Europe a couple times, playing in small clubs, which he also documented. He showed me the 30 minute video and was on th eworks for another trip to complement the footage and finish the documentary.

Btw ... those Cubans in the footage LOVE house music.

Last I know from Kiril is the day Chris Fortier played at Nerve, got him in the booth and he handed a vynil to Chris, which was later put on rotation on the Balance Record Pool.

MD

It's going to be culture clash at its best, Audioslave is going to be the first U.S. rock band to perform outdoors in Cuba :eek:

Well I been watchin’

While you been coughin

I’ve been drinking life

While you been nausous

And so I drink to health

While you kill yourself

And I got just one thing

That I can offer

Go and save yourself

Take it out on me

Go and and save yourself

Take it out on me yea

Well I’m not a martyr

I’m not a prophet

And I won’t preach to you

But heres a caution

You better understand

That I won’t hold your hand

But if it helps you mend

Then I won’t stop it

Go and save yourself

Take it out on me

Go and save yourself

Take it out on me

Go and save yourself

Take it out on me

Go and save yourself

Take it out on me yea

Go if you want

And I’ll see you in the bottom

Where you crawl

On my skin

And put the blame on me

So you don’t feel a thing

Go and save yourself

Take it out on me

Go and save yourself

Take it out on me

Go and save yourself

Take it out on me

Go and save yourself

Take it out on me yea

audioslave.jpg

Would be nice if this also meant the end of Communism in Cuba.

I remember in the mid to late 80s how the media was excited with rock acts playing in the USSR, and a few years later the Soviet Union collapsed.

Anyways, are you sure Little Havana is the best location for Audioslave? ;)

I remember in the mid to late 80s how the media was excited with rock acts playing in the USSR, and a few years later the Soviet Union collapsed.

"supergroup"?....yeah, ok.....Rage Against the Machine was a supergroup........this band is an "ok" group.....don't even compare.....

It's like a bad mash-up cuz Soundgarden kicked ass.....Chris Cornell is one of the best singers out there but my god what is this music this band is playing?......different strokes for different folks......

"supergroup"?....yeah, ok.....Rage Against the Machine was a supergroup........this band is an "ok" group.....don't even compare.....

It's like a bad mash-up cuz Soundgarden kicked ass.....Chris Cornell is one of the best singers out there but my god what is this music this band is playing?......different strokes for different folks......

weird...I thought you'd like it.

personally, I was blown away by their performance in Lolapallooza...seriously.

I can see why you would not pay attention to them, I was also big on Audioslave and Rage Ahainst The Machine...but then again, those were the 90s...real shit was going, not like now...all bands are pastiches and imitators...all of them.

Still, the revelance of Audioslave playing Cuba is huge...for noone else but the Cuban youth.

Actually, I think Las Vegas would be a better location :spin:

weird...I thought you'd like it.

personally, I was blown away by their performance in Lolapallooza...seriously.

I can see why you would not pay attention to them, I was also big on Audioslave and Rage Ahainst The Machine...but then again, those were the 90s...real shit was going, not like now...all bands are pastiches and imitators...all of them.

Still, the revelance of Audioslave playing Cuba is huge...for noone else but the Cuban youth.

It's cool that they play Cuba and you're right about the nineties having better music. I'm just being picky. I'll listen to Audioslave anyday over most of the crap on the radio but still it doesn't compare to the power of Rage Against the Machine....

It's cool that they play Cuba and you're right about the nineties having better music. I'm just being picky. I'll listen to Audioslave anyday over most of the crap on the radio but still it doesn't compare to the power of Rage Against the Machine....

Bulls on Parade!!!!! :bounce: