Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Steve Nash to win NBA MVP

Article courtesy of espn.com

Phoenix Suns guard Steve Nash will be awarded the NBA's Most Valuable Player on Sunday, ESPN.com has learned.

Nash has edged Miami center Shaquille O'Neal to become just the fourth point guard in MVP history to win the league's highest individual honor, according to sources familiar with the results. The others are Magic Johnson, Oscar Robertson and Bob Cousy.

The official announcement will come at halftime of ABC's 3 p.m. ET playoff game.

O'Neal, three times an NBA Finals MVP, has won the regular-season MVP trophy just once in his 13 seasons. Apparently tipping this vote in Nash's favor was the Suns' 33-game improvement -- from 29 wins to a league-leading 62 wins -- after signing Nash away from the Dallas Mavericks in the offseason.

Nash's previous best MVP showing was 14th place in 2002.

With Nash flanked by the athletic finishing of fellow All-Stars Amare Stoudemire and Shawn Marion, Phoenix became just the second team in NBA annals to win at least 60 games after a 50-loss season. The first? The Boston Celtics in Larry Bird's rookie season of 1979-80.

But Nash is defying history to beat out O'Neal, and not simply because he had only one scholarship offer from a Division I university -- Santa Clara -- as a slight Canadian teen-ager in British Columbia.

Allen Iverson, the NBA's 2001 MVP as a shooting guard, is the only player shorter than 6-foot-6 in the past four decades to win the award. Nash also becomes the first MVP since Portland's Bill Walton in 1978 to average less than 20 points per game. His 15.5-point scoring average for the Suns is the third-lowest all-time for an MVP, ahead of only Washington's Wes Unseld (13.8 ppg in 1969) and Boston's Bill Russell (14.1 ppg in 1965).

Nash, though, did lead the league in assists (11.5 apg) by a wide margin for a Suns team that averaged a league-leading 110 points per game.

Phoenix swept Memphis 4-0 in a first-round series and awaits the Dallas-Houston winner in the second round, raising the possibility of an emotional series against the team he left last summer.

I'd have to say that I really couldn't agree more... he has really made a huge difference in Phoenix.... And, after seeing him play while I was in memphis - the guy is just siiick.

O'Neal is awesome as well.. but i think the way Nash has helped turn around Phoenix, he deserves it.

not knockin on Nash..but i think Shaq deserved it...SHaq's team is a lot shittier than Nash's

I agree...

Lakers went from 56 wins last year to 34 this year...

Heat went from 42 wins last year to 59 this year...

That's a 39 game swing... He should win for that alone...

Dallas won more games without Nash this year...

Article courtesy of espn.com

Phoenix Suns guard Steve Nash will be awarded the NBA's Most Valuable Player on Sunday, ESPN.com has learned.

Nash has edged Miami center Shaquille O'Neal to become just the fourth point guard in MVP history to win the league's highest individual honor, according to sources familiar with the results. The others are Magic Johnson, Oscar Robertson and Bob Cousy.

The official announcement will come at halftime of ABC's 3 p.m. ET playoff game.

O'Neal, three times an NBA Finals MVP, has won the regular-season MVP trophy just once in his 13 seasons. Apparently tipping this vote in Nash's favor was the Suns' 33-game improvement -- from 29 wins to a league-leading 62 wins -- after signing Nash away from the Dallas Mavericks in the offseason.

Nash's previous best MVP showing was 14th place in 2002.

With Nash flanked by the athletic finishing of fellow All-Stars Amare Stoudemire and Shawn Marion, Phoenix became just the second team in NBA annals to win at least 60 games after a 50-loss season. The first? The Boston Celtics in Larry Bird's rookie season of 1979-80.

But Nash is defying history to beat out O'Neal, and not simply because he had only one scholarship offer from a Division I university -- Santa Clara -- as a slight Canadian teen-ager in British Columbia.

Allen Iverson, the NBA's 2001 MVP as a shooting guard, is the only player shorter than 6-foot-6 in the past four decades to win the award. Nash also becomes the first MVP since Portland's Bill Walton in 1978 to average less than 20 points per game. His 15.5-point scoring average for the Suns is the third-lowest all-time for an MVP, ahead of only Washington's Wes Unseld (13.8 ppg in 1969) and Boston's Bill Russell (14.1 ppg in 1965).

Nash, though, did lead the league in assists (11.5 apg) by a wide margin for a Suns team that averaged a league-leading 110 points per game.

Phoenix swept Memphis 4-0 in a first-round series and awaits the Dallas-Houston winner in the second round, raising the possibility of an emotional series against the team he left last summer.

i think the little man deserves it, it was evident when he missed some games how important he was to that team, not to mention the ass whoppin they laid out on the western conference which by all accounts is more competitive that the east.

oh canada, oh canada canada_flag.gif

word. heat ended the last month of the season losing quite a few games whil the usns didn't let up in the west, plus the west is clearly way more competitive than the east. as for the heat having a "shittier" team than the suns, while the suns have the best starting 5 in the league, the heats bench is WAY better than the suns.

word. heat ended the last month of the season losing quite a few games whil the usns didn't let up in the west, plus the west is clearly way more competitive than the east. as for the heat having a "shittier" team than the suns, while the suns have the best starting 5 in the league, the heats bench is WAY better than the suns.

what does the bench matter...just compare the starting fives..the suns dont have to worry about a bench cause theyve got 4 thoroughbreds running with nash...

the heat? chris laettner? zo mourning?

you put kidd/parker/bibby on that team they put up the same numbers, you put any big man on the heat they are the 7th seed in the east

shaq was robbed, but this is the same shit that happened to MJ when they gave it to barkley and malone.

Not to mention that Nash is a complete defensive liability...

He and Kurt Henrich are by far the worst defenders in the NBA. Well the worst "active" defenders, as Allan Houston is still around.

what does the bench matter...just compare the starting fives..the suns dont have to worry about a bench cause theyve got 4 thoroughbreds running with nash...

why, 'cos everyone is talking about how the heat won more games this year compared to last. hell, with that weak of an eastern conference (everyone except the pistons have been inconsistent as shit) their starting 5 doesnt even have to show up and they still have a great chance of winning.

name me 3 guys from the suns bench? barbosa and who else? the heat bench is probably better than most staring lineups in the eastern conference.

so ok, the suns don't play d - so? do they have a center? no. do they have anyone who would be a decent center? no. so why play a midcourt game where they would get killed? they play to their strengths and that is run, run, run before the other team gets back on d.

as for shaq, yeah he had a good year, but he's had better with the lakers. it could've gone both ways and it probably would've been fair. you guys wanna give it to shaq? come up with a CP-NBA-MVP trophy and give it to him.

yes shandon anderson is a STELLAR contributor...be serious..Miami's bench is as shitty as Phoenix's...u dont trade for the most dominant big man in the game and keep ur bench together...im not knockin on Nash..but Shaq deserves to have more than ONE MVP TROPHY

D-Wade, the Jones's

Regardless, I agree that Shaq deserved the MVP.

I thought Gilbert Arenas should have gotten some more votes. And did anyone see someone gave P.J. Brown a vote :funny: