Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Weekend alone in LA - what recs?

muffinm

Hi

I am in LA for work next week from London, and had planned to have a friend come up from texas, then to go and party for the weekend. But due to a lot of personal stuff, she can't come, so I will be there on my own. I am staying in Westwood for the week, just as that's where work booked me, but will be moving to the roosevelt in hollywood for the weekend (the standard was full).

So, my question is: is LA an approachable place for a girl on her own? I really want to make the most of being there, but have heard that LA can be a tricky city to enjoy if you don't know it.

Any hints or tips?

Have seen that judge jules is playing - have seen him a million times in london/ibiza! Would prefer to do something a bit more LA if poss...

Sorry - all a bit vague, but feeling a bit nervous, albeit excited, and would love any advice

MM x

i hope you have a great time in la. are you looking to go out during the week as well? will you have a car while you are here? are you looking to do tourist stuff or more nightlife stuff? what style(s) of music do you prefer?

Hi

I am in LA for work next week from London, and had planned to have a friend come up from texas, then to go and party for the weekend. But due to a lot of personal stuff, she can't come, so I will be there on my own. I am staying in Westwood for the week, just as that's where work booked me, but will be moving to the roosevelt in hollywood for the weekend (the standard was full).

So, my question is: is LA an approachable place for a girl on her own? I really want to make the most of being there, but have heard that LA can be a tricky city to enjoy if you don't know it.

Any hints or tips?

Have seen that judge jules is playing - have seen him a million times in london/ibiza! Would prefer to do something a bit more LA if poss...

Sorry - all a bit vague, but feeling a bit nervous, albeit excited, and would love any advice

MM x

<< club740 for saturdays. la's next #1 venue.

Hi there

Yes, I will be going out during the week as well - have a few industry parties midweek (am attending a big entertainment conference), but at the weekend, my colleagues are off home. I am not massively interested in real tourist stuff, but in going to some great clubs (love house music primarily, also hiphop, hate cheese), people watching guess, and really getting a feel fro LA, which I understand can be tricky.

Oh, and yes I have hired a car too - I understand everyone drives, which is kind of odd for me as in london I got rid of my car as I got cabs/walked everywhere. But then and again, parking is a complete nighmare in london!

Also, if people drive at night, then do they not drink?

Appreciate you getting back to me!

Thanks

x

saturday, may 14th

mainroom:

Celebrating the CD release of “WIREDâ€

300_donaldglaude_hyper.gif

DJ HYPER

djhyper.com :: kilowatt rec.

bedrock breaks :: uk

DONALD GLAUDE

djdonaldglaude.com

eden recordings

BRETT KING

traffic :: protonradio.com :: djbrettking.com

backroom:

KRISTINA SKY

heaven :: etn.fm

djkristinasky.com

MATTHIAS & ROBINSON

green sector :: anatomy of sound

BOB MOTAMEDI

crystalclouds.com

RAOUL

blowfish music

opening set:

CARLOS

circus_logo.gif

Welcomes back spun_sm.gif

2O.OOO sqft. of indoor clubbing and LA largest outdoor patio :: 2I and over clubbing 9.OOpm till 4.OOam :: FREE b4 9.3Opm* *special events excluded :: Valet and self-parking at club entrance

6655 Santa Monica Blvd.

Behind arena in the heart of Hollywood

In association with Traffic Events

The best place to go on saturday may 21 is AVALON HOLLYWOOD :aright: .

Guest dj is SANDER KLEINENBERG.

The club is insanely packed everyweek and goes from 9pm-7am, 21+

You can get on the discounted list b4 11pm by e-mailing jc@wiredla.com

it IS A GUARANTEED great night out.

the week after may 28th will be dj sasha

have fun.

on ANY saturday, i recommend spundae over avaland (avalon on saturdays is called avaland). even though avaland has been pulling in the top notch djs, the people there are NOT there for the music, but instead to crowd the smoking room, hoping to be seen as "cool" by everyone else. no one can really see anyone else, though, 'cause they're all wearing sunglasses. they're the poser "out to be out in hollywood" crowd 7.gif . you will, though, find some music fans in the front of the dancefloor. there are some there. end note: this venue is simply too loud. even earplugs haven't kept me from leaving just due to the headache i was getting.

spundae, however, has an entirely unique vibe. and, when i say unique, i mean that literally; i know of no other place that has such a happy, down-to-earth, relaxed, friendly vibe. the djs feed on this vibe, get loose, and deliver a more in-tune-with-the-audience performance. and their patio is lovely, with benches and tables and actual places to sit; it's not just an alley for smokers (the alley is the only "fresh air" that avalon has, and it's chock-full-o'-smokers.). there's always room to dance, the air conditioning is always working on the dancefloor... if one arrives at a decent hour, one can get in (with prepaid tix) in less than 5 minutes.

but if i even start about spundae, this post will be many more paragraphs.

if you really like sander k, then you might want to go to avaland. bear in mind, though, that i have passed up some of my favorite (even my very favorite) djs JUST because they were there. i didn't want that venue ruining a memory.

i almost always have a good time when i go out; i can only think of a few instances outside of avalon when i had a bad time. but at avalon, almost all of my experiences have been bad.

NOTE: all the above is from my perspective and experience, and therefore nothing with which to argue. if others wish to offer other perspectives, go right ahead :) .