Clubplanet Nightlife Community

so what makes MIAMI so important

fresinha12

Folks

help me out here...I am seriously thinking of moving down to MIAMI from NYC. Though, I am doing it for my GF who just moved back to miami...I want to know what is it about miami that makes you all wanna live here?

I mean besides the weather and eye candies...??? I am really torn up, should I leave my job and move down to MIAMI?

does anyone know who are the biggest employers in miami ? I mean besides drug dealers? LOL...OK seriously though, I am in the high-tech (communication and network research and investment banking) industry...dont know if miami is hot bed for high-techs....but if anyone could give me some perspective, I would greatly appreicate it!

There are a lot of things to consider. Your decision should depend on your character. NYC is very fast paced. Miami is a very slow paced, lazy town (in comparison). New York is a city that caters to tourists and its denizens alike. You have lots of cultural centers, museums, theaters, etc. It also has millions of shops, bars and restaurants scattered throughout. NYC is bustling around the clock. Most of Miami is dead on weekdays after midnight. Miami is primarily a tourist destination. We have beaches, sunshine, watersports, infinite outdoor activities, etc. We also have restaurants, shops, clubs and bars but ours tend to be more localized (with exceptions) in the trendy areas (the Grove, Gables, SoBe, Bal Harbour, Brickell).

Miami traffic has become just about as bad as NYC's although our parking situation is much better (due to available space for multi-level lots). The big problem is that very few people here have any motivation to use public transit because it serves a very limited area and quite inefficiently, at best. Everyone has a car or two. The other problem with traffic stems from the fact that main north/south arteries are limited (excluding streets with traffic lights).

Now about the nightlife. Everyone here has their opinions (myself included) so I'll be as objective as I can. While New York nightlife (for locals) revolves around a myriad of parties in small cozy lounges nearly every night of the week, the typical Miamian tends to be more interested in the city's large clubs (Crobar, Space, Nocturnal, Mansion, Opium/Prive) primarily on the weekends. That's not to say NYC doesn't have BIG clubs. They basically pioneered superclubs (together with the UK). In parallel, Miami has many small lounges mostly on SoBe which are bustling with activity (especially friday and saturday nights). Keep in mind that New York's 5 boroughs are home to nearly 4 times as many people as Miami can claim. Automatically, you should think about how that translates to "captive audience". It makes sense therefore, that with a larger captive audience, a wider variety of music would be represented.

Last (but probably most important), you should consider your work conditions, cost of living, etc. Miami is cheaper than NYC. By a long shot. If you are going to be earning the same salary in Miami, as you did in NYC, you'll be able to live much more comfortably in Miami than NYC. That said, you may not be able to find exactly the job you're looking for in Miami. A larger population center demands a larger infrastructure (therefore more jobs in the service industry, manufacturing industry and merchandising). Logically, employment opportunities in NYC are more abundant.

Lastly, do not think that Miamians are nicer than New Yorkers. Every city has its character. Our population is very diverse just like NYC's. That keeps things interesting. But don't assume, even for a second, that Miami adheres to the "hospitality" of the deep south. :D

I too am a former New Yorker who moved down to Miami about 3 years ago so I can relate. Before you move down make sure you have a job in place. While there are high-tech jobs down here they're not as plentiful as in NY and they usually don't pay as well. The cost of living is lower than New York's but it's slowly catching up. The cost of real estate is skyrocketing here. The public transportation network is no where near as efficient as New York's but the local politicians keep saying they're working on it. So you will need a car to get around.

Personally I like it down here. The beaches and the nightlife are good and I've been lucky enough to meet some great people. Miami does lack the culture and museums of New York but hopefully once the Performing Arts Center is completed things will get better here. You can't really compare the 2 cities because they are so different. New York was settled in the 1600's while Miami is about 100 years old.

There are a lot of things to consider. Your decision should depend on your character. NYC is very fast paced. Miami is a very slow paced, lazy town (in comparison). New York is a city that caters to tourists and its denizens alike. You have lots of cultural centers, museums, theaters, etc. It also has millions of shops, bars and restaurants scattered throughout. NYC is bustling around the clock. Most of Miami is dead on weekdays after midnight. Miami is primarily a tourist destination. We have beaches, sunshine, watersports, infinite outdoor activities, etc. We also have restaurants, shops, clubs and bars but ours tend to be more localized (with exceptions) in the trendy areas (the Grove, Gables, SoBe, Bal Harbour, Brickell).

Miami traffic has become just about as bad as NYC's although our parking situation is much better (due to available space for multi-level lots). The big problem is that very few people here have any motivation to use public transit because it serves a very limited area and quite inefficiently, at best. Everyone has a car or two. The other problem with traffic stems from the fact that main north/south arteries are limited (excluding streets with traffic lights).

Now about the nightlife. Everyone here has their opinions (myself included) so I'll be as objective as I can. While New York nightlife (for locals) revolves around a myriad of parties in small cozy lounges nearly every night of the week, the typical Miamian tends to be more interested in the city's large clubs (Crobar, Space, Nocturnal, Mansion, Opium/Prive) primarily on the weekends. That's not to say NYC doesn't have BIG clubs. They basically pioneered superclubs (together with the UK). In parallel, Miami has many small lounges mostly on SoBe which are bustling with activity (especially friday and saturday nights). Keep in mind that New York's 5 boroughs are home to nearly 4 times as many people as Miami can claim. Automatically, you should think about how that translates to "captive audience". It makes sense therefore, that with a larger captive audience, a wider variety of music would be represented.

Last (but probably most important), you should consider your work conditions, cost of living, etc. Miami is cheaper than NYC. By a long shot. If you are going to be earning the same salary in Miami, as you did in NYC, you'll be able to live much more comfortably in Miami than NYC. That said, you may not be able to find exactly the job you're looking for in Miami. A larger population center demands a larger infrastructure (therefore more jobs in the service industry, manufacturing industry and merchandising). Logically, employment opportunities in NYC are more abundant.

Lastly, do not think that Miamians are nicer than New Yorkers. Every city has its character. Our population is very diverse just like NYC's. That keeps things interesting. But don't assume, even for a second, that Miami adheres to the "hospitality" of the deep south. :D

that should cover it.....:pint::bounce:

WOw..thats a very comprehensive reply!

thanks!

So I am working out with my boss if I could relocate to our coral gables office, lets see what happens! so how is the coral gables area?

my friend lives in olympia heights.... is that a good neighborhood? somewhere near 133ct street?

Folks

help me out here...I am seriously thinking of moving down to MIAMI from NYC. Though, I am doing it for my GF who just moved back to miami...I want to know what is it about miami that makes you all wanna live here?

I mean besides the weather and eye candies...??? I am really torn up, should I leave my job and move down to MIAMI?

does anyone know who are the biggest employers in miami ? I mean besides drug dealers? LOL...OK seriously though, I am in the high-tech (communication and network research and investment banking) industry...dont know if miami is hot bed for high-techs....but if anyone could give me some perspective, I would greatly appreicate it!

honestly

NOTHING!!

i moved down to florida from NY which i could say was one of the biggest mistakes of my life

Jobs here SUCK, if ur looking for big employers they ARE NOT here they are in NY

85% of my friends who move to florida who think it will be a good change all wind up moving back to ny within a year and a half

to me thats just setting urself back a 2 years

if ur looking to further ur carreer stay in ny

if ur looking to do drugs and leave all ur friends behind in NY then miami is ur place

so what is it that makes you folks live here in Miami?

I mean if you dont like being in miami, then why are you still here??

also please let me know how coral gables is ? thats where my office is...I was hoping I could get an office in downtown miami, but the only location that has some space for my office is in coral gables...

also please let me know how coral gables is ? thats where my office is...I was hoping I could get an office in downtown miami, but the only location that has some space for my office is in coral gables...

Good quality drugs.. i tried moving up North but the quality wasn't so good. i even tried moving to the east but even worst. so i finally tried the west, but couldn't find any. So right about now u must be wondering WTF am i reading. In reality i just wanted to see what reaction i would get from something that does not make any sense at all. I just ramble on to see, just for shits & giggles to hear the response this would get. Hope this anwers your question.

:biggrin:

:smoke:

If you are of Spanish decent then Miami is a great place to live, just ask anyone... In Spanish of course :what:

out of town?

i rather have out of towners then to have all these fuckin immagrants

who are you trying to kid here

funny how you talk about hispanics , yet you are half puerto rican :laugh: ooops !! did i say something i wasnt suppose to say ?? :rofl:

Miami is a state of mind, a passport to a different dimension where boundaries are expanded to levels beyond belief, this city has seen so much that holds a reputation that may be dissed by ignorants but respected for those who've seen it not necessarily "grow" but definitively change from time to time...and change is always a good thing.

xfl20136.jpg

Now...you asked about Miami not south beach, wtf did I write all that shit for? :biggrin: Miami? I don't know...hmmm...one of the most famous if the not the most sought after location to vacation from tourist all over the world...you have amazing beaches, fine cuisine, most probably the finest puntang in the globe, golf courses, convention center, 5 star hotel, art galleries, night clubs, cigar shops...faggedaboudit! that shit is a circus out there man, you can even make money making sculptures with water balloons, wicked! :eek:

xfl20134.jpg

Even our beggars are cosmopolitan, eating salmon and creme cheese sandwiches, that's not bad at all.

Miami is important to the world, not just to Miami...all eyes on Miami.

xfl20138.jpg

damn, that coffee was strong! :eek:

Coral Gables is a pretty nice area, actually. Not cheap. The city has strict rules about keeping residences looking clean and lawns looking nice. You will not find a large homeless population in the Gables. Lots of boutiques and restaurants (especially along Miracle Mile and Ponce de Leon Blvd.). It's not as ritzy or glamorous as Bal Harbour but I'd say about as nice as Coconut Grove and definitely a lot cleaner (and more quiet) than SoBe! :D