Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Burnt Out On New York Cost Of Living!

shugabooga

me now: :aaah::banghead::splat:

me in miami: :bounce::hat::aright:

hey guys happy memorial day! here i sit in my apartment in Queens dreaming of south florida AGAIN! after six grueling years in NYC, i'm ready for a change. the grass is always greener they say.......but literally i think SF would be greener foliage-wise and financially.

i used to club a lot here, but no longer do so at age 41. still love the music and the vibe, but that's not what i would move to florida for......it would be the outdoors, sunshine, healthier lifestyle. i just don't work out anymore here, it's too yucky......traffic, trash, sirens, horns, graffiti, concrete, cracks in the sidewalks, dog poop, ugly houses, businesses, no landscaping.....

i think i'm talking myself into it for sure!

my biggest concern is getting a job and apartment. i'm a bartender at a steak house and would want to stay in this line of business. would be willing to temp doing some kind of office/clerical stuff (or catering) at first...

any info about moving to SF & finding work/apartments/public transportation (don't have a car yet)/cost of living/quality of life would be much appreciated. i'm doing research on my own but would like to hear it straight from those of you who actually live and work there......

thanks a bunch!

If you live on South Beach, you really don't need a car... almost everyone down there is from NYC... my best friend included.. he doesn't have a car, doesn't really need it.

I assume you have a great resume, so i'm sure getting a job at any of our fabulous restaurants wouldn't be a problem... just don't plan on moving in the summer becuz jobs in your field are few and far between in the summer... Fall time is the best time to look as we are getting into "season"....

Cost of living varies depending on where you live.. so its hard to say what it can be.. I haven't rented in sometime now since i own my condo..

welcome down <hopefully!> :D

You won't urgently need a car if you live and work in South Beach but eventually you will need one just to get yourself to another part of town. The cost of living here is increasing every day so South Florida is no longer the bargain it used to be. The traffic and noise is almost as bad as New York City's right now because of all the urban sprawl and lack of public transportation. But I also used to live in NY and it's been 2 years for me down here and I'm doing okay. Just make sure you have a job in place for good paying jobs down here aren't as plentiful as in NY. Good luck

me now: :aaah::banghead::splat:

me in miami: :bounce::hat::aright:

hey guys happy memorial day! here i sit in my apartment in Queens dreaming of south florida AGAIN! after six grueling years in NYC, i'm ready for a change. the grass is always greener they say.......but literally i think SF would be greener foliage-wise and financially.

i used to club a lot here, but no longer do so at age 41. still love the music and the vibe, but that's not what i would move to florida for......it would be the outdoors, sunshine, healthier lifestyle. i just don't work out anymore here, it's too yucky......traffic, trash, sirens, horns, graffiti, concrete, cracks in the sidewalks, dog poop, ugly houses, businesses, no landscaping.....

i think i'm talking myself into it for sure!

my biggest concern is getting a job and apartment. i'm a bartender at a steak house and would want to stay in this line of business. would be willing to temp doing some kind of office/clerical stuff (or catering) at first...

any info about moving to SF & finding work/apartments/public transportation (don't have a car yet)/cost of living/quality of life would be much appreciated. i'm doing research on my own but would like to hear it straight from those of you who actually live and work there......

thanks a bunch!

Im in the same boat! I'm so tired of living here and having to pay so so much just to breathe. I'M MOVING BACK TO MIAMI AT THE END OF THIS YEAR NO MATTER WHAT.

Roomates anyone?

If you are looking for something on South Beach be prepared to pay 900 to 1,300 a month for something decent. As far as jobs are concerned, you will be able to find something in the rest/bar industry with a little determination. If I were you I would start sending out my resume to as many places as possible. I have worked in the night club business for along time and as I’m sure you know, these jobs come available at any given time. I’m also a realtor so, if you need help finding a place to rent PM me with all the details…

Joey