Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Studio 9

WOODBRIDGE — Fines will be assessed against the owners of a Route 9 nightclub that police shut down during the holiday weekend after fighting broke out and the crowd overwhelmed security guards, officials said yesterday.

Officers were called to Studio 9 in the Fords section at about 1:20 a.m. Monday on a report of an assault with injuries. Police said well over 1,000 people were at the bar and that there were several small fights in the parking lot.

One man who tried to get into the club as a VIP guest told police he was punched in the face, kicked and beaten on the ground until security guards broke it up. His brother was also beaten as he tried to break up the fight, the victim told police.

Police found the club to be out of control both inside and outside, and gave the order to shut it down for the remainder of the night for what they believed were liquor-law and safety violations.

As police attempted to empty the building, security guards locked the doors from the outside to keep people in. Police said this caused patrons to panic and push against the glass doors, and police ordered security to open the doors and let people out.

Police said that as patrons left the club with their drinks in hand, more fights broke out and vomit was observed on both the floor and tables.

Police said a Doberman pinscher belonging to one of the owners, Anthony Mocci, was in the club around patrons during the disturbance.

No charges have been filed yet against owners George Forakis, 46, and Mocci, 40.

But Frank Della Pietro, fire official with the Hopelawn Fire Department, said the owners will be fined $2,500 for violating the fire code by obstructing the building's exits.

"Thank God nothing happened there," he said.

Mayor Frank Pelzman said if the reports of violations prove true, "We won't tolerate something like that in Woodbridge."

Detective James Souza said the incident is still being investigated. He met with the club owners Tuesday, he said.

The reports of state Division of Alcoholic Beverage Control violations have been turned over to the township's ABC prosecutor, Joseph Buttafuoco, Souza said.

Forakis and Mocci issued a statement last night thanking the Woodbridge Police Department for helping them "organize the problem that unfolded" late Sunday into Monday.

The club that night featured British-Asian singer/songwriter Jay Sean, who mixes traditional Indian sounds with rap and other contemporary styles.

"The majority of the people attending were well-dressed, well-behaved people of Indian descent," the owners said in their statement.

All told, 1,066 people attended, and about 65 percent were women, according to the statement.

Della Pietro said the club's capacity is 1,558 people.

At the club, security guards routinely take driver's licenses from patrons who are 18 to 20 years old to insure that they don't drink, police said. One security guard had more than 150 licenses and during the melee, angry clubgoers demanded them back. Police said people were grabbing the licenses out of the security guard's hand before police took the licenses and tried to return them to their rightful owners.

After the identifications were returned, there were still close to 40 people who did not get their licenses back, police said.

Souza said the club owners were dealing with returning the remaining driver's licenses.

The owners in their statement acknowledged that a staff member "mixed up the identification of approximately 300 to 400 people."

Handing out the ID's "took longer than expected, and the police assisted us in calming some irate customers," the owners said in their statement.

The 18,000-square-foot nightclub, which opened in December, has a state-of-the-art sound system, plasma video screens and hi-tech lighting. There is also a restaurant, as well as two lounges and a VIP area. The club frequently hosts events that allow 18-year-olds to enter, though patrons must be 21 to drink alcoholic beverages.

The disturbance at Studio 9 follows a melee in July at nearby Club Sleep in Woodbridge Proper.

Police officers from Woodbridge, Edison, Sayreville, Old Bridge, Perth Amboy and South Amboy went to that club to control a mob of people that had turned violent.

Club Sleep was shut down following that disturbance and remains closed.

— Contributing: Staff writer

Ken Serrano

http://www.thnt.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050602/NEWS/506020439&SearchID=73210283678457

The best part of this story is that the ABC prosecutor is Joey Buttafuoco...

Joey Buttofuoco the and only? That is too funny.

also, what the hell is dog running around a nightclub, imagine if it started attacking people, that would not have been a pretty scene.

Max is the sweetest dog- would never hurt anyone... But still a bad policy to have him around- agreed.

Why keep a dog at a night club anyway?

My theory (because no one in their right mind- especially an owner sharing liability- would unleash a dog in a night club), is that when the doors were locked, people were looking for an exit and the dog was loose in a back room. The dog was probably let into the club on accident by someone trying to get out.

Max is the sweetest dog- would never hurt anyone... But still a bad policy to have him around- agreed.

Why keep a dog at a night club anyway?

My theory (because no one in their right mind- especially an owner sharing liability- would unleash a dog in a night club), is that when the doors were locked, people were looking for an exit and the dog was loose in a back room. The dog was probably let into the club on accident by someone trying to get out.

OH ok, just wandering, do you work for Studio 9 if you don't mind me asking.

Hopefully something like this never happens again.

I posted the article because I don't like the place. Whoever disagreed with this post and left me negative reputation points please go Fuck Yourself. This clown has the balls to call me an asshole then says he hopes the place closes and also says Jersey Sucks? :mad: As I said before GO FUCK YOURSELF.

Rep points are for pussy's that don't want to deal with the backlash or repercussions that their cowardly comments will lead to... pay it no mind.

Studio 9 needs to be shut down and turned into a bowling alley where you are allowed to bring pets.

The owner is a builder and a diner owner they should stick the business they know, running clubs is not their forte

The Diner part is correct the builder part is not, that is why it took forever to complete the construction. The "real builders" were all fired and taken off the job early on. :) I guess now he may call himself a "builder" after he built his own place. LOL

I worked there when it first opened. For the most part it was a pretty good place to work- just was not THAT busy when I was there. Haven't been back since (not for any other reason than it's a hike for me).

I read the article like everyone else, and doubt it's the real Joey Buttafuoco...

But seriously, consider changing your name?

http://www.weht.net/WEHT/Joey_Buttafuoco.html

Rep points are for pussy's that don't want to deal with the backlash or repercussions that their cowardly comments will lead to... pay it no mind.

Studio 9 needs to be shut down and turned into a bowling alley where you are allowed to bring pets.

STUDIO 9 SUCKS DONKEY DICK !!! :chop:

NOT GOOD! But you notice when ever a club has a night like this or they do Hip-Hop nights etc like in Club Sleep, the crowd sometimes gets out of control, why, I have no idea!

I don't know what the hell is wrong with my people.... It has always been that way, you get too many of us in one place and play hip hop, they act stupid, and there is no need for it.

If I had any answers I would share them, but I don't, so I can't.

I wish as a person of color that my people would just go out and have a good time and not act like assholes. There would be less problems for everybody.

Just my .02

Madness- you are a black guy (and a really nice guy I might add). This problem was on a night where it was mostly "people of Indian descent". You can't make appologies for all people?!

Anyway, Hip Hop is the largest Genre orf music out there (2nd is Country but who cares- I don't like my sister like that). It NEEDS to be in clubs in some way or another. They key is attracting the right crowd that can behave themselves. Keep everything under control (dress codes, proper security to diffuse problems) and expect to have SOME problems anyway like every other place does.

Plus, I don't believe that this was necessarily a crowd incident (like Sleep, Packees, etc). I know they have ALOT of security there, and I'm not defending them because I wasn't there, but this just looks like a situation handled poorly.

my .02