Clubplanet Nightlife Community

L.A. nightlife

BRIANC1046

Hey everyone.. I figure a lot of you that post in the Vegas board are from the L.A. area.. so.. I'm flying to Studio City next week for an interview (from Philadelphia).. and there's a great chance I'll be moving to the area.. Please tell me a little bit about the nightlife.. give me some good spots and what the overall scene is like? also.. I'll be staying in Burbank next Wednesday night.. any got spots around there on a Wednesday?

Hey everyone.. I figure a lot of you that post in the Vegas board are from the L.A. area.. so.. I'm flying to Studio City next week for an interview (from Philadelphia).. and there's a great chance I'll be moving to the area.. Please tell me a little bit about the nightlife.. give me some good spots and what the overall scene is like? also.. I'll be staying in Burbank next Wednesday night.. any got spots around there on a Wednesday?

only have hookups in Alaska. Sorry, cant help you lol jk

The Club Scene in LA is a mother _ _ _ _ _ _ _ joke!

The doors are pitiful. The Music in most of the clubs is even worse.

It never seems like any club can pop off for more than a month before the negative vibe spreads and it's gone. Doneski!

I have been living in LA now for 13 years(34)and the quality of night life has never been lower. It's definitely somewhat of a recent phenomenon.

I remember 3-4 years ago when the underground scene was excellent with really top DJ's spinning and vibing. Good clubs with nice mixtures of music and ethnicity. Now a days most of the Hollywood crowd is bunk. Posers/Studio Apt Renting Millionaires/Wannabes/Street trash....

Oh and the promoters. Don't even get me started. I went to the opening of the "New Vanguard" last week on Saturday night, and I wanted to kill a couple of those little greased up posers. They act as if they are somebody when they are behind a gate and you are on the other side.

Ranting. OK...I'm done.

Vegas makes LA look like a sandbox.

Avalon is OK. But to say it's the top club on the West Coast wouldn't be saying much.

On Broadway in San Diego/Ruby Skye and DNA/15th Street in San Fran are top notch on certain nights.

Ouch! pretty strong words... So sorry that you havent found any good times out here lately, I do agree that the golden days of "Giant" at Circus are most definitively gone :boohoo: but I still find my little nuggets of fun here and there. Next event that looks promising I will def. give ya a howdy! my friends and I have been in the scene since 1993, the dayz of Madd Hatter events and Doc Martin was god. Take Care. And remember fun is what you make it, but there has to be tunes! :)

No offense taken. We can all agree to disagree. A lot of the stuff you say are often true as risolated instances but false for generalizations and thats what I respond to, the generalizations being made.

The doors are pitiful.

Some of the worse run doors in the nation are in LA and some of the best run doors are in LA. Los Angeles is dominated and has perfected the artform of the vip-guestilst only system. There is an artform to how it is done. Even as recently, I was part of the grand opening of a new venue in LA. They brought on two security guards all of 21 years old that had no experience with any venue and it was fiasco having us teach them, on the spot, how to do a door.

It never seems like any club can pop off for more than a month before the negative vibe spreads and it's gone.

True and not true. Vibe - true. There is not enough attention to the vibe in LA. lalate has written extensively on this in articles in 2004 about the lack of attention to vibe by venues. Longevity - not true. If you look at LA's top 10 venues, and compare that to the year they opened, you can see longevity.

I have been living in LA now for 13 years(34)and the quality of night life has never been lower. It's definitely somewhat of a recent phenomenon.

In regards to venues located in Hollywood, I would agree. Again in 2004 lalate wrote extensively on the subject it calls the trend of the "lookatme lookatme crowd" and how it has ruined the vibe of Hollywood clubs.

I do believe that other areas of So Cal, and other non-Hollywood scenes, have the same vibe, if not stronger, that they have always maintained.

I remember 3-4 years ago when the underground scene was excellent with really top DJ's spinning and vibing. Good clubs with nice mixtures of music and ethnicity. Now a days most of the Hollywood crowd

Problematic statement. Because the "undeground scene" is not Hollywood. Hollywood has very few "underground" locations/parties.

Undergrounds. The underground scene in LA is as vibrant as ever. In 2003-2004, lalate's year end listing of la's top parties put several underground events as its parties in LA that year. The underground scene still presents one of the best vibes, music originality, friendliness, and multiplatform offerings you have in LA. The only negative part of the underground scene that pulled from 2004-2005 has been the move of certain underground organizers to mainstream venues, commercializing, which you cant hate them for doing because people have to make a living.

Posers/Studio Apt Renting Millionaires/Wannabes/Street trash....

Very correct for Hollywood. lalate's article in 2004. Thats why its important to find a network of friends that can help you find those spots/nights that move from this horrible norm - because they do exist.

Oh and the promoters. Don't even get me started. I went to the opening of the "New Vanguard" last week on Saturday night, and I wanted to kill a couple of those little greased up posers. They act as if they are somebody when they are behind a gate and you are on the other side.

LOL. Maybe they should stay behind the gate because Vanguard didnt open last Saturday --- it opened many many months ago! lol.

Ranting. OK...I'm done.

Vegas makes LA look like a sandbox.

Yes and no.

Avalon is OK. But to say it's the top club on the West Coast wouldn't be saying much.

It's not. It's a great venue. But its not the top.

This weekend, Im hanging out with my buddy's brother. My buddy is from the midwest and his brother has moved here. The brother said to me last night - best weather in the nation, beautiful place to live, but the what the hell is with the people. As Ive always said, hang around nice people, you'll have a ball, let the bad apples get to you, you wont.

I would also recommend Basic, held every other Friday at the King King, on Hollywood Blvd. I also recommend checking out Qool, held during happy hour time on Wednesdays. The smaller parties is where it's at in LA right now.

well said. Basic is :rock: and KingKing almost always pulls in a killer vibe :rock:

I have to say ...........

last night I tried do LA in a way I havent done in ages, I did it the way I do Vegas.

I will have to say, after almost 10 hours of partying, we had the most amazing time :bowdown: !!!!! If you ever want to, you can do it sooooooo right in any city, any night (Im shocked I can type lol jk).

8- 11 Bird

11 - 2 + Vertigos

2- 5+ Avalon afterhours

Bird is one of the best bars ever. A bar that pulls a ton of young Hollywood stars and starlettes, its marked generally (but not this night) by a cavalacade of hot young girls drinking it up and laughing street side. Strong drinks, one of the nicest staffs ever, and on this night poured it nice and tall and strong :bowdown:

Vertigos. The venue that lalate first made popular several years ago is back as good as ever. This is the venue that lalate first was able to drag westsiders off of the Strip and into downtown for, and now, its better than ever. A two room club nestled in the hills of skyscrapers that delivers hot hot latinas, powerful powerful and cheap drinks, and an amazing sound system. I luv the people behind vertigos :rock: I :heart: vertigos which now adds to its 80s room, yes 80s (the venue that in la first perfected the format before anyone else), live coverband review in the middle of the night - No Doubt, Depesche Mode (sp), and more. I luv the 80s, I luv the girls that luv the 80s, and we all luv Vertigos ... and dont forget one of those hotdogs outside :drool: No cover with lalate all night, drink promotions.

Avalon Afterwards. First, we love how we got in. We saw this promoter we knew coming to party and getting compd. So after they did, we asked the person geting comp'd if we can just pay discounted cuz we know that promoter - and he said "im so sorry you know her too" lolllllll. What a hoot. And in we go. Tonight was not Castro's night. And I gotta say the crowd was horrible. 99.99% guys, of one ethnicity, averaging 45 years old. And if I saw one more middle age guy with cut abs and his shirt open and sunglasses on, get up and dance on a table I was gonna deck him with my waterbottle. fck lol. The music in the mainroom was so friggen good but the patio the music was absolutely incredible. And the patio's vibe Definitely not the crowd I was looking for, wanta check out the alternative nights to see the difference :rock: