Clubplanet Nightlife Community

The 3 biggest clubs in the HISTORY of house music as they stand today

Do people really think that NYC was THAT influential in the dance music scene?????

besides freestyle, disco, and pots and pans, ny really hasn't contributed as much to dance music as it has in other areas such as ART, FILM, Fashion, etc.

Frankie Knuckles is a New Yorker, maybe he got his break in Chicago, but he's culturally a New Yorker. I would even say a gay New Yorker. So yes, this city has had a HUGE impact on the dance music scene.

There's like 4 or 5 clubs that defined dance music at their time and the majority are New York clubs (i.e. Gallery, Loft, Garage, Warehouse, Music Box, Original Sound Factory)... so, yeah, New York's very involved in the "dance music scene".

Also, when you have people like DJ Pierre who said that he praticaly invented the wild pitch with clubs like jr vasquez's sound factory in mind, yeah it pretty much tells this city was really influencial. Damn, what about C&C Music Factory, how many great records did they put out? And you are quick to dismiss Tenaglia. He's the basically the musical daddy of the whole Deep Dish sound... and on and on ... what the? What about the FIRST TWELVE INCH ever! Where did that come from and what do you think its impact on the EDM scene was: it defined it!

... and the list goes on and on ...

let me ask you a question detroit or the other person who said bout the uk being a bigger influence. PAUL OAKENFOLD comes to mind, now we all that he has inspired so many djs/producers since the 80's. But guess what, ask him where his inspiration came from and well its a lil club on 84 king street in nyc called the PARADISE GARAGE with dj LARRY LEVAN.

All those TECHNO all praise RON HARDY and the MUSIC BOX as being a huge if not the biggest influence on them making thier music. Where did RON HARDY fit into this, simple ROBERT WILLIAMS (owner of warehouse,musicbox) brung in RON for the music box after the warehouse was done while frankie knuckles opened up THE POWER PLANT. Now where did frnakie knuckles come from, like olympia said NYC.

Where did frankie learn his skill along with larry levan at THE GALLERY with NICKY SIANO where did NICKY learn his thing from THE LOFT and DAVID MANCUSO, where did all this happen. NEW YORK CITY. No matter what people may think it ALL COMES BACK TO CHICAGO n NEW YORK. Chi town to me gets the most credit for the house music movement, but new york is where the whole dance movement evolved from.

i just wanna know how one can spin for 72 hours.
drugs cocktails that would scare Keith Richards ...

Funny thing is I would still see something like this happening today. Let the small club door open, put an insane dj (1), I tell you those crazy people will stay on the dancefloor as long as the music's pumping!

(1) although hearing the Music Box tapes online, I got to say I've never heard any dj as hectic, all over the place, in other words: totally inventive in fucking up with your mind!! as Ron Hardy.