Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Leisure time reading

ooana

Originally posted by ooana:

Anyone ever read Johnathan Livingston Seagull by Richard Bach? Surprised I haven't seen anyone list that yet.

Great book

Something to give you hope when you are FU

Read one more book by Bach-good but could not compare

Try T.Goodkind Wizard's first rule and sequels.First 3 books are unbelivable,then goes down some

Also have you read Song of Kali and Carion comfort from Simmons-exelent horors

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally haven't yet read any of Simmon's horrors but they're on my "to read" list. Heard only great things about them.

I'm suddenly tempted to do a group B&N outting. <laughs> yes yes...total dork, I know ;-)

-Oo

------------------

"When the soul wishes to experience something, she throws an image of the experience out before her, and enters into her own image."

Based on what you seem to like you'd really enjoy Simons I think. Check out Hollowman as well as the Hyperion series.

And George RR Martin is fantastic! Such a great pair of books!

-Oo

I will have to look into those authors...

Another one I forgot to mention:

Ann Rice -- I've read just about everything she has written... Even some of the assumed name books (Ann Rampling)

cwm11.gif

------------------

Hugh

a.k.a. ibhugh, Bryan Adams

email: ibhugh@yahoo.com

aolim: hugesk8r

Originally posted by frodo:

[i'm suddenly tempted to do a group B&N outting. <laughs> yes yes...total dork, I know ;-)

Excuse my ignorance but what is B&N

(fresh from the airplane immigrant)

And horrors from Simmons ARE SCARY

Originally posted by quanto_magnus:

I will have to look into those authors...

Another one I forgot to mention:

Ann Rice -- I've read just about everything she has written... Even some of the assumed name books (Ann Rampling)

cwm11.gif

I read 'Vampire' by Anne Rice. Pretty cool book then I went out rented every Vampire movie I could find. Pretty intense. The movie starring Tom Cruise was OK.

------------------

Sticks and Stones may break my bones..but..words..can't..hurt..meeeee...

so there

B&N= Barnes and Noble. Eeeeeevil store. Eeeeevil. Sucks you in and you never get out. Almost as sick and wrong as Kozmo which will send you a book in an hour. I think they're out to get me and my wallet. ;-)

You got it right

I actualy spend more $$$$$ on books than on partying

Barnes&Noble aaaaargh once you get in there is no going out.

If You want to have B&N outing I would be

more than happy.I mean it is time to see some of you ppl without candy and during day time.

All time favourite books:

- George Orwell, "1984" (scariest book ever)

- Susan Douglas, "Where the Girls Are" (women in mass media critique done with tons of humour)

- John Lanchester, "The Debt to Pleasure" (an harmonious marriage of food and death)

While I'm new to this board many of you seem like a very interesting bunch of people...

Was thinking it might be fun to hear what kind of books you all enjoy reading and get some recommendations going. Any genre!

I'll set the stage so to speak:

"Yellow Wallpaper" by Charlotte Gilman is a short but amazing read.

Anything by Dan Simmons

Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follet (incredible epic)

More to come if folks want in ;-)

Speaking of Ken Follet..he was one of my favorite authors when I was in Bronx Science..I read 'Eye of the needle' & 'Where eagles land' not sure if I got the titles right but..he is an awesome writer..Saw a coupla moveis based on his novels but somehow they never do the books justice.

------------------

Sticks and Stones may break my bones..but..words..can't..hurt..meeeee...

so there

Dostoevsky, Douglas, Hawthorne, Emerson, Swinburne, Dumaurier, Tennyson, Wilde, Shakespeare, Pater, Doyle, Goethe, Baudelaire, Dickens, Moliere, Narayan,Franklin, Kafka, Dr. Michael Steinman, and Borges are my favorites.

My favorite books would have to be:

The Idiot (Dostoevsky)

Richard II and III (shakespeare)

The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin (Franklin)

Frank O'Connor at work (Steinman)

The Andy Warhol Diaries (Warhol)

The Daughter of Time (Josephine Tey) Shakespeare: Invention of the Human (Bloom)

and many many more.

I'm reading "Brave New World" by Aldous Huxley now and its reminding me of "The Matrix." And to think that this book was written in 1930-something.

I've enjoyed reading a few Hemingway books ("For Whom the Bell Tolls") and I really enjoyed and highly recommend "A Man in Full" by Tom Wolfe.

<<<PEACE>>>

------------------

"Everything is sweetened by Risk."

snoopy.gif

Originally posted by bungee:

I read 'Vampire' by Anne Rice. Pretty cool book then I went out rented every Vampire movie I could find. Pretty intense. The movie starring Tom Cruise was OK.

Yeah, the movie was ok. They book "Interview with a Vampire" is much better. Actually all of her Vampire books are really good (IMO). Also her Witching Hour series is good too.

cwm15.gif

------------------

Hugh

a.k.a. ibhugh, Bryan Adams

email: ibhugh@yahoo.com

aolim: hugesk8r

Heh, along with our ice skating trip, I think an outting to Barnes and Noble is in order ;-)

------------------

"When the soul wishes to experience something, she throws an image of the experience out before her, and enters into her own image."

---"You have wings! Why don't I have wings?!"

---"Cause you're a boy, silly."

1.The professor and the madman by simon winchester ( it's about how Oxford English Dictionary was written) very interesting.

2. Faust by Goethe

3. The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand

4. Rabbit Run, Rabbit redox... sequence by John Updike

5. of course Harry Potter smile.gif

6 and many many more.... cwm15.gif

If anyone's interested in history I'm reading a great book called "What If?" It's a collection of essays about how the world might be different if history was altered (i.e. what if the Persians had defeated the Greeks at Salamis, what if Hitler wasn't rejected from art school etc etc) Very cool.

Also, "Time and Again" by Jack Finney and "Doomsday Book" by Connie Willis are wonderful novels about time travel. Really fascinating stuff.

book worms..heheh i myself is one..i like

Edgar Cayce books and of course the bible..yes the books mention by you guys are nice...

How 'bout a world without thumbs...can'twait for that to come out..hehehe and there was this book i bought from B.N it was so good it was stolen from my house...now who the fuck steals books....it was in the isle of "culture" it was 'bout xtc the movement of it..almost like a documentry thing..but extremely well written...don't remember the name of the book didn't get a chance to read more than one chapter..shit was stolen...man oh well....and another one...

CCNA study guide 2nc edition by todd lammle...

Amazing. One person mentions Hemingway (GREAT work, if not the most uplifting of all time.) The Yellow Wall-Paper is such a deep work for a short story, so many levels it can be read and interpreted on.

Steinbeck is a good read, as is Frost, poems and short works, but by far, one of my favorite authors would have to be Joyce Carol Oates. She is such an astounding writer in technique and allusion. Great work.

Of course there are many others, from Grisham, to King, to Robin Cook for pulp reading. But lately, it seems all I get to is the NY Times and the Wall St. Journal. How boring.

------------------

Bilk, Robb, Pilfer, & Steele

Invesment Banking for The New Millennium

New York, NY 10022