Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Difference btwn. Plasma & LCD TV's?

hey branyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

i got a 60'' sony plasma, its great, but sunglare can make it annoying, but lcd is ultra sharp at most angles, and does not show sun glare... plus, it costs much more! but i rather have a 42" plasma than a 30" lcd....

hey branyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

i got a 60'' sony plasma, its great, but sunglare can make it annoying, but lcd is ultra sharp at most angles, and does not show sun glare... plus, it costs much more! but i rather have a 42" plasma than a 30" lcd....

Wow 60" that's big. I was looking on ebay and saw a 50" plasma (w. speakers, wall mount & stand) for 2,999.

Where did you get yours from?

Here's a good article that should help you out:

http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/plasmatvreviews/plasma-vs-lcd.html

That was a great link. Overall they rate plasmas better, but the part that concerns me is the life of Plasama's are much shorther than LCD's and the "bulbs" or whatever is in the Plasmas can't be replaced whereas in the LCD's you can replace them.

LONGEVITY (from the link)

LCD manufacturers claim that their displays last, on average, 50,000 to 75,000 hours. In point of fact, an LCD TV will last as long as its backlight does-and those bulbs can actually be replaced! Since this is nothing more than light passing through a prismatic substrate, there is essentially nothing to wear out in an LCD monitor.

Plasma, on the other hand, utilizes slight electric currents to excite a combination of noble gases (i.e., argon, neon, xenon), which then glow red, blue, and/or green. This is an essentially active phenomenon, so the phosphoric elements in plasma displays fade over time. The half-life of these gases is approximately 25,000 to 30,000 thousand hours. At this point, the phosphors will glow half as brightly as they did when the set was new. There is no way to replace these gases; the display simply continues to grow dimmer with use.

That was a great link. Overall they rate plasmas better, but the part that concerns me is the life of Plasama's are much shorther than LCD's and the "bulbs" or whatever is in the Plasmas can't be replaced whereas in the LCD's you can replace them.

LONGEVITY (from the link)

LCD manufacturers claim that their displays last, on average, 50,000 to 75,000 hours. In point of fact, an LCD TV will last as long as its backlight does-and those bulbs can actually be replaced! Since this is nothing more than light passing through a prismatic substrate, there is essentially nothing to wear out in an LCD monitor.

Plasma, on the other hand, utilizes slight electric currents to excite a combination of noble gases (i.e., argon, neon, xenon), which then glow red, blue, and/or green. This is an essentially active phenomenon, so the phosphoric elements in plasma displays fade over time. The half-life of these gases is approximately 25,000 to 30,000 thousand hours. At this point, the phosphors will glow half as brightly as they did when the set was new. There is no way to replace these gases; the display simply continues to grow dimmer with use.

The site that you are referring to, which rates plasmas better, is: plasmatvbuyingguide.com... should be pretty easy to say why they came out on top.

Get an LCD. I just got one. it's the shit...

Wow 60" that's big. I was looking on ebay and saw a 50" plasma (w. speakers, wall mount & stand) for 2,999.

Where did you get yours from?

thats a great deal compared to what i paid, bought it online, in ibiza, spain.. cost me 6650, but was going for 8000 elsewhere, free s/h though! lol

in the states, you can get it for about 4500. if you want a good plasma for cheap, my cousin Erez in brooklyn can get you a samsung 42" for like $2200.00

lemmie kno :-)

Raz

If your looking for something large 42" and up and not looking to hang it on your wall. Look into getting a LCD projection TV. They are only about 10-12 inches deep and are very light. Plus the great thing about them is that you can change the bulb inside if it burns out. I got a 60" Hitachi it's the ballz.

I've got a 42 inch Samsung Plasma TV. I love it. Especially when something is in Hi-Fi, forget it. The pic is superb. However, because of $ constraints, I'd be willing to sell mine for $2000 if anyone is interested. Hit me up & let me know if serious.

If your looking for something large 42" and up and not looking to hang it on your wall. Look into getting a LCD projection TV. They are only about 10-12 inches deep and are very light. Plus the great thing about them is that you can change the bulb inside if it burns out. I got a 60" Hitachi it's the ballz.

I thought projections were being phased out? Or is LCD projection different than those "other" projections TV's which are so cheap now.

i've had a 42" plasma for 3 years and it still looks good as the day i got it. Plasmas will last about 10 years with teh average TV watching most people do, just dont leave the dam thing turned on 24 hours a day and youll be fine.

Plasmas are brigher and sharper then LCD's and dont blur during fast motion like LCDs do. def go plasma