Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Techno/Trance CD Recommendations

k_car

I used to listen to old techno back in the hayday of Limelight. Songs like "Dominator" and "Injected with a Poison" were some of my favorites. I got out of the techno scene and hit the Korean club scene for a while... until a trip to LA about 6 months ago brought my renewed interest in techno/trance. A few of my friends had tried to get me into trance music, I'd been to Twilo and Exit a few times, but until I hit the club in LA (it was also my first E experience), I just couldn't get into it - coincidnece???

But now that I'm hooked (on the music/Twilo, not E - still only did it once...) I'd like to give my 2 cents on some of my favorite CD's. I know it's just a relatively newcomer's opininion, but when I first tried to get my hands on some music that were found in the clubs, I found my self lost in an ocean of choices. I didn't know which CDs/Artists were "good." What I mean by that is, that most DJ's are all very talented, but I just couldn't figure out which ones suited my personal tastes and would really get me grooving. Even when you figure out which artists are "good," even they have good CDs and not so good CD's.

To get to the point, I would like to give a refound lover of techno/trance musics list of current favorite CDs for those who may be new as well and trying to wade through the plethora of trance CDs out there (good and garbage). I also like the cool live sets of artists like PVD on Napster too.

1) Out There and Back - Paul van Dyk

2) GU: Live in Oslo - Paul Oakenfold

3) Tranceport 3 - Sandra Collins

4) Tranceport - Paul Oakenfold

5) Live at Crowbar - Carl Cox

My favorite is PVD, especially live. I would also like to get the board's opinion on other good CD's from your favorite artistts so that I can broaden my experience with other DJ's and their CD's so listing your favorite CD's will also be appreciated.

Thanks in advance! cwm9.gif

------------------

calvinan.gif

I've got more girls on my tip than a human shish-ka-bob!

dj tiesto - magik 6 - live in amsterdam

pvd - live at the O 2-12-2000

dj tiesto - live at the maxim in norway

dj hh - mix in motion

timo mass - live at love parade

oakenfold - live at gatecrasher (june of last year)

nick warren - GU Budapest

------------------

"There was a time before we were born when the soul of each one of us decreed that we be brought into life. We have all made a place for ourselves on this earth, each life precious, each path different. But we all share the same goal of inner peace and it is there within us all to be discovered, and it can only be discovered through love."

Originally posted by tiestoisgod:

dj tiesto - magik 6 - live in amsterdam

pvd - live at the O 2-12-2000

dj tiesto - live at the maxim in norway

dj hh - mix in motion

timo mass - live at love parade

oakenfold - live at gatecrasher (june of last year)

nick warren - GU Budapest

I appreciate your reply. I would guess that most of your recommendations are from Napster. Can you separate the CDs from a record store and the ones from Napster.

Thanks!

cwm9.gif

------------------

calvinan.gif

From Napster I like:

Live at Giant - PVD

Ministry of Sound Sessions - PVD

and believe it or not, some live sets from Exit (please don't kill me) cwm4.gif

------------------

calvinan.gif

Live Sets:

Tiesto @ Samfundet Trondiem 9-15-00

PVD- Berlin Arena 5-20-00

PVD- Nikita, San Fran (Part 5 only) 6-18-99

Tiesto @ Sensation, Amsterdam 7-1-00

Commerically Released

Timo Maas- Dirty Trancing (Muzik Mag Promo)

S&D- Communicate

Sasha- GU Ibiza

George Acosta- Awake

Mauro Picotto-Lizard Man, Tranceformer 2000

DJ

cwm9.gif

Originally posted by pyramid:

if your looking for techno, then you have to listen to jeff mills. everything by him is great. try misstress barabara, john selway, green velvet, atomic babies, ben sims, richie hawtin etc. all techno and all are hard. just got into dj arjuna who is very, very hard but awesome

don't forget chris liberator - if you like those people i guarantee you'll like him. check out live at the world electronic music festival 99, part 1

------------------

* i love sex always and forever *

and they tell me that women grow on trees

and if you catch them right they will land upon their knees

if your looking for techno, then you have to listen to jeff mills. everything by him is great. try misstress barabara, john selway, green velvet, atomic babies, ben sims, richie hawtin etc. all techno and all are hard. just got into dj arjuna who is very, very hard but awesome