Clubplanet Nightlife Community

I am confused.... Dj's who "dont do it in one take"??

edubz

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

and honestly, you guys are fucking idiots.

Do you really think that when you buy a mix cd that is an hour long, they just let the dj spin for an hour? LMFAO

many of them are yes. not all of them are edited. i'm in an eniviroment listening to mixes and productions all day...there a number of djs out there that get it right the first time or at least more often than not.

labels are tryng to present a product to you in the best way possible (so the good will is there) it just gets funny when the marketing department gets involved and want to sell you something and they do it any and every way they know how. :)

and honestly, you guys are fucking idiots.

Do you really think that when you buy a mix cd that is an hour long, they just let the dj spin for an hour? LMFAO

this is the way its suppose to be.

Its like if you go pay $50 to go hear a DJ, and hear a CD playing instead...

in ktu's case this is not true (not all the time at least) junior's mixes were pre-recorded but not edited cuz some of those mixes were a mess!

junior vasquez, as far as I know is the only DJ that always records his set live like that, fuck up or no fucks up, thats why I respect him more then any other house dj.

I know I am still an amature, so I'm not really sure how it works in the "majors" but I have always felt that making a CD is a totally different animal from playing live. When I make a CD I mix tracks. That's pretty much it. I don't play around with effects and EQ's because I want it to sound as perfect as possible. I don't clean up my mixes on a computer but I see nothing wrong with doing it (unless the DJ is saying it was "mixed live @...").

CD's are usually made to showcase particular songs (as in Subliminal Sessions, or this Yoshitoshi CD that I'm listening to right now which was mixed by Dean Coleman), not the artists' talents. The same goes for most other genres of music. Most people just want to hear the songs when they play a CD. That's it. However, I am not one of those people. I guess that's why I love Radio 1's "Essential Mix" so much. It's all live, and it usually shows. :biggrin:

True story, I have a friend who worked with a kid that pre-mixed CD's at his house on those beat matching computer programs. When he would play out live he would play his pre-made CD's and pretend like he was playing records live. He would pretend to cue 'em up and everything. It's tools like that that are killing the scene.

EVERY commercially released mix CD goes into the computer and gets cleaned up, in order to remain competitive with other label's releases, and so it sounds great on every type of soundsystem, iPod, car, boombox, club. Even if someone mixes the whole thing in one shot, the final is brought into the computer, eq'd, compressed, the volumes are fixed across the mix, and its limited before it goes to production. Alot of times the mixes are done over and over for days, weeks or months, until the tracklisting, sequence and licensing are nailed down, then the recording is done in one shot, but only after many many practice mixes. You will rarely if ever find a release where a DJ picked up 12 - 15 tracks, and without thinking about it or mixing them before, just bust out a commercially viable CD. Won't happen. In the live environment you can mix random tracks like that. Its amazing what imperfections a loud system will hide compared to your iPod or computer speakers. And being on mind altering drugs, or drunk off your ass in a club helps too :)

EVERY commercially released mix CD goes into the computer and gets cleaned up, in order to remain competitive with other label's releases, and so it sounds great on every type of soundsystem, iPod, car, boombox, club. Even if someone mixes the whole thing in one shot, the final is brought into the computer, eq'd, compressed, the volumes are fixed across the mix, and its limited before it goes to production. Alot of times the mixes are done over and over for days, weeks or months, until the tracklisting, sequence and licensing are nailed down, then the recording is done in one shot, but only after many many practice mixes. You will rarely if ever find a release where a DJ picked up 12 - 15 tracks, and without thinking about it or mixing them before, just bust out a commercially viable CD. Won't happen. In the live environment you can mix random tracks like that. Its amazing what imperfections a loud system will hide compared to your iPod or computer speakers. And being on mind altering drugs, or drunk off your ass in a club helps too :)

read the whole post, this was addressed already. at this point we aren't talking about your everyday post-production process and getting it ready for mass production nor are we addressing practicing a mix and excluding tracks and narrowing down what will/can be licensed or cleared from artists. we are addressing the fact that mixes are outrightly edited and tweeked to the point where the djs' talents are no longer true to what the marketing of said product states.

read the whole post, this was addressed already. at this point we aren't talking about your everyday post-production process and getting it ready for mass production nor are we addressing practicing a mix and excluding tracks and narrowing down what will/can be licensed or cleared from artists. we are addressing the fact that mixes are outrightly edited and tweeked to the point where the djs' talents are no longer true to what the marketing of said product states.

Pic please!

I said that DJs mix their CDs over and over again until they get them right then fix them in the computer anyway, meaning you will never get a live performance on a compilation CD released on a major label. Unless they say "Live from Rome" . Even then it gets mastered. Tits?

I said that DJs mix their CDs over and over again until they get them right then fix them in the computer anyway, meaning you will never get a live performance on a compilation CD released on a major label. Unless they say "Live from Rome" . Even then it gets mastered.

well now we are going what the definition of "live" is.

once you have narrowed down your tracks, you got permission to use the music that you are going to record then record your mix....that is "live"

it's a given that it will go through mastering, the clicks and pops will be cleaned up and the levels maximized the original was kept exactly in the same order and was kept exactly how you recorded it.

that is very diffeerent from say.... a mix that is thrown into protools and has effects thrown on top, accapellas thrown on top AFTER THE FACT.

that is not "live" and is bs.

a mix that is thrown into protools and has effects thrown on top, accapellas thrown on top AFTER THE FACT.

that is not "live" and is bs.

Agreed. I can't stand that either, but unfortunately it happens. Involver was completely programmed, but it was still dope. All depends I guess.

So, does this mean that if I made a mixed CD the way I normally do which is by recording it through my burner and onto a CD, and, if there's one trainwreck, I can edit that part out? I'm pretty sure the answer is yes but what program can I use and how simple is it to do?

bro, what a complete ingnorant comment to make. not everyone is high and mighty like you that knows everything when it comes to music. this comment REALLY pissed me off in that the guy was asking a simple question trying to gain knowlegde. isn't that what you are suppose to do if you're not familiar with something?

wow and you wonder how you come off as a prick :blown:

Bro, besides his comment, All of the DJ's he like's We're the worst Mixers...

I went to see Danny Krivit ( Body and Soul) OOHH My Fucken GOD!!!

Anywas, I'm Not here to judge DJ's or other people But somtimes silverBull should just be quiet .