Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Clemens coming back to Yanks?

lucky13

DALLAS -- The Houston Astros declined to offer salary arbitration to Roger Clemens on Wednesday, a move that means he can't re-sign with the National League champions until May 1.

The seven-time Cy Young Award winner spent the last two seasons with his hometown team and hasn't decided whether to pitch next year or retire. At 43, he led the major leagues in ERA at 1.87, going 13-8 to help the Astros reach the World Series for the first time.

He made $18 million, and the Astros didn't want to risk going to salary arbitration while they awaited his decision whether to play. Clemens still intends to pitch for the United States in March during the inaugural World Baseball Classic.

"We expected this because we talked a great deal about this," said his agent, Randy Hendricks. "It's no surprise."

Clemens had an injured leg and back late in the season and was forced out of his start in Game 1 of the World Series against the Chicago White Sox after only two innings.

Houston's decision could lead to other teams trying to lure Clemens, such as the New York Yankees and Boston Red Sox, two of his former clubs.

"If anybody calls, we'll listen," Hendricks said.

He doesn't expect Clemens to make a call about pitching next season for at least a month.

"Nothing has changed about his plan to decide in late January, early February," Hendricks said, adding that Clemens' performance in the WBC could play a part in the decision.

"I expect that will be a form of a litmus test to see how feels about playing mentally and physically," he said.

I love it how a Dallas newspaper suggests that Clemens' former teams can be "trying to lure him back" and all of a sudden you get Yankees fans coming out with misguided speculation as shown with the title of this thread

I know this isnt the mentality of all Yankees fans but come on......

I love it how a Dallas newspaper suggests that Clemens' former teams can be "trying to lure him back" and all of a sudden you get Yankees fans coming out with misguided speculation as shown with the title of this thread

I know this isnt the mentality of all Yankees fans but come on......

Misguided speculation? I'm just repeating what the article said....which was that the Yanks might try to get him back. I understand your anger though. The Sox management said that Clemens was in the "twilight of his career" back when they got rid of him, and then he went on to win 3 more Cy Young Awards, including one w/ the Yankees.

Misguided speculation? I'm just repeating what the article said....which was that the Yanks might try to get him back. I understand your anger though. The Sox management said that Clemens was in the "twilight of his career" back when they got rid of him, and then he went on to win 3 more Cy Young Awards, including one w/ the Yankees.

yeah bro

<~~filled with anger

btw, whens the last time the Yankees won the series?