Clubplanet Nightlife Community

how do you cook your vegetables?

weyes

if you try to get the freshest vegetables, they'll taste better no matter what way you decide to serve them. try to switch it up, whole foods is a good place to start looking for different varieties of veggies.

agreed, stir frying is always a good choice, add a little oyster, chili or soy sauce. works best w/ broccoli, cabbage, carrots... thicker veggies.

roast them in the oven w/ a little olive oil, salt, pepper, maybe balsamic vinegar. excellent with asparagus and brussel sprouts, even corn.

if you ever have had curried cauliflower at a indian restaurant and liked it, that's something easy to duplicate at home. just saute w/ a good curry powder and some oil, maybe add a little coconut milk.

soups are always a good chioce and a fresh multi-veggie salad is the absolute easiest.

Stir fry them and serve them over a little rice.
that's what everyone says, but just soy sauce doesn't do it for me. it ends up just tasting like really salty veggies.

and i thank barra for the suggestions of oyster and chili sauces, but i don't like seafood or spicy food.

i guess it's hard to ask for help on this when i'm a little picky...

here are the basic groups/things that i don't eat:

- spicy food

- anything that lives in water (except for tuna roll and seaweed)

- coconut

- curry

- cute forest animals (rabbit, deer, etc. :tongue: )

- and i haven't been eating much meat lately in general, though i am technically an omnivore.

i love chinese stir-frys, but i know there's something else in there than just soy sauce. does anyone know exactly what it is?

but roasting does sound good, barra. i'll give that a try.

i was wondering about more complicated veggie dishes, too. you know, like casserole-y things (though i know those reduce the nutritional value of the veggies)... also things that heavily involve spinach, onions, cheese... and some specific recipes from you guys. what did your parents make when you were little to make you eat your vegetables?

Go check out an Asian market. Just try buying some of their sauces and mix in a little while you're stir frying. Sometimes I'll carmelize some onions, mushrooms and peppers in a side pan and add them to my stir fry later for flavor. Or you try some pickled ginger on the side or mixed in after you're done frying. MMMMM, pickled ginger. You might want to start searching the web for recipes while you're at it. For me, it needs to be fast, simple and have very little clean up.

Go check out an Asian market. Just try buying some of their sauces and mix in a little while you're stir frying. Sometimes I'll carmelize some onions, mushrooms and peppers in a side pan and add them to my stir fry later for flavor. Or you try some pickled ginger on the side or mixed in after you're done frying. MMMMM, pickled ginger. You might want to start searching the web for recipes while you're at it. For me, it needs to be fast, simple and have very little clean up.
sounds like a plan :aright: !

your last sentence especially holds true for me, as i have little patience when it comes to cooking. i'm a very instant-gratification kind of cook; the 25 minutes it took to make rice-a-roni last night felt like hours... as for the clean-up, i do all of it in our place (the roommie pays the electric bill in exchange for me always doing the dishes), so the less, the better :D .

that's what everyone says, but just soy sauce doesn't do it for me. it ends up just tasting like really salty veggies.

and i thank barra for the suggestions of oyster and chili sauces, but i don't like seafood or spicy food.

i guess it's hard to ask for help on this when i'm a little picky...

here are the basic groups/things that i don't eat:

- spicy food

- anything that lives in water (except for tuna roll and seaweed)

- coconut

- curry

- cute forest animals (rabbit, deer, etc. :tongue: )

- and i haven't been eating much meat lately in general, though i am technically an omnivore.

i love chinese stir-frys, but i know there's something else in there than just soy sauce. does anyone know exactly what it is?

but roasting does sound good, barra. i'll give that a try.

i was wondering about more complicated veggie dishes, too. you know, like casserole-y things (though i know those reduce the nutritional value of the veggies)... also things that heavily involve spinach, onions, cheese... and some specific recipes from you guys. what did your parents make when you were little to make you eat your vegetables?

Looks like there is no please u

I'm a "eat out of the pan I cooked in" kind of person myself.
:funny:

word to your mother.

ooo! i don't think they offer much in the way of vitamins and whatnot, but i LOVE baby corn and water chestnuts. i'm thinking that i may finally get adventurous and do the stir-fry thing! no more fear!

one more question, though: one is supposed to put the oil in the pan and THEN heat it, right? or is it ok to heat the pan first and then add the oil? it seems to me that one should put the oil in first so that it doesn't splatter all over the place and burn the cook. yes?

weyes, the microwave is also another option.

and don't discard frozen vegetables. i only buy fresh ones when i'm cooking them right away since i'm usually only cooking for myself. if not, i buy frozen and just add them to whatever else i'm eating. soup, rice, a caserole, pasta, just nuke a cup or so and presto.

i hate rachel ray . . .DIE RACHEL DIEEEEE !!!!!!

she is so cheap. $1 tip, c'mon!

yeah, rachael laughs just a little too hard at her own jokes. my main problem with her, though, is that she'll start off with something good, and then ruin it with some weird twist. there was an episode where she was making monte cristo sandwiches, and then she ruined them with jalepeno jelly. wtf???
but i hate that italian chick even more, the de laurentis gal. ugh! :gang:

you mean, the one with the flip-top muppet head? i couldn't find a better picture of her...

BKS6080_s.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
i hate rachel ray . . .DIE RACHEL DIEEEEE !!!!!!

she is so cheap. $1 tip, c'mon!

Hee,Hee,hee, O.K., O.K., but I was refering to her cooking show, not her $40/day show, which by the way is why she's leaving a buck tip. I mean come on how else would you be able to eat 3 meals a day with $40...:)

Hee,Hee,hee, O.K., O.K., but I was refering to her cooking show, not her $40/day show, which by the way is why she's leaving a buck tip. I mean come on how else would you be able to eat 3 meals a day with $40...:)
yeah, and she cheats, too. sometimes she counts her drinks and sometimes she doesn't :no: .